Program-Specific Info / Q's Loma Linda vs. University of St. Augustine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTpurpose

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I hope everyone's staying sane during this stressful time!

I got accepted into University of St. Augustine (San Marcos) and got waitlisted for Loma Linda, but I'm torn about which school to move forward with. My hesitation with St. Augustine comes from their lack of fieldwork options/needing to relocate/not getting first choices. However, I like that they are more experienced with online learning and I heard their education is more practical and really trains you for the workforce. I don't know if fieldwork placements are better in Loma Linda, so if anyone has insight on this, that would be super helpful! Also, both schools seem to be similar in tuition prices.

I'm curious to hear from anybody who has insight on either school or from current or incoming students! This is such a big decision to make so I would like to be better informed!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're attracted to the online learning or flex program where you can work and finish your degree then st. Augustine is a really attractive option. It may even be more of an attractive option due to covid forcing everyone to adapt Loma Linda is more established in health care but I have not seen too much job advantage and employment for going to either unless you attempt to get hired in and near the area of Loma Linda. A lot of variables but if you want to work to pay down your loans then St Augustine is the only choice in California that is flexible and catering to that. You can consider reaching out to their department and asking to transition to flex if it's of interest.

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone's staying sane during this stressful time!

I got accepted into University of St. Augustine (San Marcos) and got waitlisted for Loma Linda, but I'm torn about which school to move forward with. My hesitation with St. Augustine comes from their lack of fieldwork options/needing to relocate/not getting first choices. However, I like that they are more experienced with online learning and I heard their education is more practical and really trains you for the workforce. I don't know if fieldwork placements are better in Loma Linda, so if anyone has insight on this, that would be super helpful! Also, both schools seem to be similar in tuition prices.

I'm curious to hear from anybody who has insight on either school or from current or incoming students! This is such a big decision to make so I would like to be better informed!
Hi! As a Loma Linda grad who completed fieldwork just as the pandemic hit, not sure how much my perspective applies to current circumstances, but I thought the fieldwork selection process was good. Our coordinator even went so far as to reach out and establish relationships with sites that we wanted, both in and out of state. We also used the online portal extensively throughout the program for interactive learning modules, turning in assignments, taking tests, etc. so I feel confident that they would be able to accommodate for the necessary change in teaching methods. I will say that not many of us held down a job during the program, it was pretty time consuming. I have talked to another OT who went to St. Augustine, and she didn't seem to have anything negative to say about the program and was a great therapist, so it may come down to where you want to work after school and the curriculum. I know it's a big decision, so if you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them the best that I can. Congratulations by the way!