St. Chris vs. duPont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ETND

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the differences between duPont and St. Chris. I interviewed at both, and am trying to figure out which order to rank them in. Also, if anyone has done a rotation at either program, I would be interested to hear what your experience was. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ETND said:
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the differences between duPont and St. Chris. I interviewed at both, and am trying to figure out which order to rank them in. Also, if anyone has done a rotation at either program, I would be interested to hear what your experience was. Thanks!

I did a sub i at st. chris...very friendly residents and great team players...they really try to help each other out...they all seemed happy to have picked st. chris..even the interns.. the inpatient schedule seemed reasonable with night float. the interns come in at around 6:30 and leave by 7pm (with signout to the night float team at around 6:30)...The day is structured so you preround in the morning then you have sit down attending rounds at around 8:30 (after cheif rounds at 8am, which the upper levels have to attend but the interns attend only if they have time)...you then have the rest of the day to work on your notes/get stuff done/do admits...The attendings go see the patients and then sign your note if it's done...but notes ARE not required to be completed in the am before sit down rounds...one thing i really liked about it..

there are 2-3 inpatient teams depending on the season...(more in the winter) there's also an einstein team, but you have no part in that...Each team has general medicine and then particular specialty patients. the specialty patients have their own attendings and some of them do sit-rounds and some of them do not....

the general medicine attendings give lectures 1-2 times a week...

Laid back environment, good people...hope this helps....

i think that dupont seems fairly similar to st. chris in terms of hours, etc.. the structure of the teams are a little different, but so be it....

i picked dupont because i think that the patient diversity is a little better here than st. chris, though the minus is that you have to drive quite a bit more at our program.

i'm in my 3rd year, and i think that i made a great choice. the people here are almost universally wonderful, and the program is very supportive of u through ups and downs.

i am doing a fellowship, and i got good responses from all programs, and personally, i think it matters little as to which of these two programs you go to...

Members don't see this ad :)
beware of st chris
i did a subI there in the fall
and the current chiefs are HATED!!!
Both are lazy and not helpful to any of
the residents, medical students, or
to me as a SUBI.
Its not just the chiefs-the program directors
both of them are jackyl and hyde personality
if i picked up on this as a SUBI-I would be
afraid to see the "inside world" of being
a resident here!

If you want philly...go to DUPONT or CHOP
or jersey !
good luck

I have done several rotations at St. Chris, and from my personal experience, I could not DISAGREE more with the previous post.

I'm not sure about the chiefs (from my interaction they were both fine...but anyway there will be new chiefs next year!) but the PD is a GREAT guy. I know from personal experience that he goes to bat for his residents, and that he is a great asset to have because he knows almost EVERYONE in academic pediatrics (he's on the board of the national association of Peds PD's, and I got asked about him on almost every interview). There is a reason St. Chris residents do so well with fellowships. I actually rotated with him as an MS-3, and while he is incredibly bright and does expect a lot, I found him to be a great teacher and not malignant at all.

In general, I think St. Chris is an AWESOME place to train. There are certainly negatives (lack of computerized orders/notes, fairly high pt volume, not many "perks"), but in my opinion, it is one of the stronger programs on the east coast. The lifestyle isnt even all that bad (after all, its still Peds). St. Chris is known for training excellent general pediatricians. Coming out of this residency, I truly believe you would be able to handle almost anything and will be an awesome physician. And as I said, those who want to do fellowships go to the top places, even in the competitive fields (cards, ER, allergy). While the location is not that great, the hospital is kind of on its own campus, so the "rough" neighborhood is not an issue. And most residents live in great areas of Philly, only 10-15 mins away. I know MANY residents here, and they are all very happy (even the interns!) and get along extremely well. Like any program, there are a couple of malignant faculty members, but they are few & far between...most are extremely nice and very eager to teach.

I'm seeking a residency in NY for family reasons, but if I were staying in Philly, I would have definitely gone to St. Chris. I also think that DuPont is a really good program, and CHOP obviously speaks for itself. But in my opinion (albeit a biased one :)), you can't go wrong with St. Chris. Hope this helps!

I dont know beyond interviewing and having friends at St Chris as I never rotated there, but I can say this. THe morning report given by one of the chiefs was one of the most knowledgable and intersting ones I attended while interviewing (and I interviewed pretty much at all the good east coast programs) . I was interviewed by one of the chiefs and I can say that this person was one of the very few people I met on the interview trail that fully and completely read my file and knew it cold. The chief was genuinely interested in finding out about me as a person. Furthermore, the chief was one of the nicest people I came across.I doubt a lazy person would put this much time into reading my file. So you can say what you want about St Chris, but please back it up with evidence. If its a personal vandetta please let us know that.