St Elizabeth Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carlos2001

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody has any information on the residency program at St Elizabeth Hospital in Washington DC?

It used to be a prestigious program in th 70s. I wonder what is it's reputation today. I'm a bit concerned that doing the residency there may cut my chances of a good fellowship later.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Carlos2001 said:
Anybody has any information on the residency program at St Elizabeth Hospital in Washington DC?

It used to be a prestigious program in th 70s. I wonder what is it's reputation today. I'm a bit concerned that doing the residency there may cut my chances of a good fellowship later.

Thanks!

Nobody heard anything about StE in DC? Hmm!

I never could find any information on the program. I love DC and looked into programs in that area but St. Elizabeth's didn't have a website listed on FREIDA and searching on google didn't turn one up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take this with a grain of salt....

I know that St. E's has a long history, and I think that it used to be quite a place--it was apparently quite beautiful probably in the time period you mention. Unfortunately, I guess that with alot of government run institutions it has hard times of late. I think it still is an interesting place to be, at least for the historical reasons. I think the guy who tried to assasinate Reagan is there, so I'm guessing at least that the forensics there would be strong. I'm also guessing you would see alot of chronic stuff. I think it has alot of IMGs, which isn't itself bad, but means US grads have avoided it. I know also that when I interviewed at Georgetown, they said something like they don't do involuntaries (which seems strange to me), so you would get all that traffic your way. Sounds like a tougher place to train, but you'd be trained solidly at least in the clinical arena. Don't really know about academics. Is it really that hard to get into academics?

read erving goffman's 'asylums'

a classic text...written from inside st. e's

Carlos2001 said:

Thanks!

LOL, I wonder if Hannibal is still there? j/k