St. George Fall 2009 situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ranger9879

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if someone could gauge my chances in getting in this fall 2009 at SGU for the MD program. I already had my interview in august 2008 for entrance into august 2009. My current GPA is 3.3 GPA, 26R MCAT, and tons of extracurricular, shadowing, research, medical/clinical experience. I also spent time in the army. They want to see my fall grades before they make any decision however. My fall grades won't be spectacular. I'm taking all upper division and i'll be getting a B in exercise physiology, a B+ in neurophysiology, and C or C+ in endocrinology. will this really hurt my chances? also, i plan to write a letter of intent along with submitting my fall updated grades. any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

start studying hard.
How do you expect to make it through a rigorous med school curriculum if you can't keep a B+ average in undergrad?
I'm not trying to be harsh, just realistic.

granted, but my major GPA is 3.7 in integrative physiology and the low gpa is due to my freshman year at West Point, which is notorious for a rigorous curriculum in which i declared a nuclear engineering major. My current GPA at my school is 3.5. I have no argument with your remark on doing well now to do well in medical school. I'm just trying to gauge my chances with the things i've already done considering it is too late to drop classes and dramatically change my grade for the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I'll bite.
A 3.7 is good.
What I was trying to say is you should be gunning for high grades THIS semester, and don't just assume you're going to get these B's and C's. Try to avoid that. This is your future at stake here.

By the way, I think you could shoot for a US school if you try to raise the MCAT score a little. IMHO it would be well worth it, even if you had to wait an extra year to go to school in the US. It would just make your life easier later on...trust me I know b/c I have been through med school + residency. I have no doubt that SGU is probably a serviceable med school, however.

O.P, are you crazy? With a 3.3 GPA and a 26 MCAT, you can get into most DO schools. Are you a URM? If so, a 28 will get you into some MD schools. You need to chill on med school decision right now. You need to take a prep course and retake that mcat. To answer your question more, you should still be able to get into St. George or any of the big 4, even with the couple of Cs. I would think about US options first though. just my opinion!