-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
St. George's School of The Caribbean
Started by MedHrdMedOftn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
And I quote, "This educational program (referring to their clinical rotation program) results in a 99% US residency placement rate for our eligible US graduates." - St. George's Univ. Admissions Brochure, 04/2009
Can anyone confirm this?
Can anyone confirm this?
And I quote, "This educational program (referring to their clinical rotation program) results in a 99% US residency placement rate for our eligible US graduates." - St. George's Univ. Admissions Brochure, 04/2009
Can anyone confirm this?
SGU is known to kick people out if they don't perform according to their standards. Therefore you will never know if you are "eligible" till you actually attend their school, take their classes, pass them very well and pass their pre-USMLE exam. Stick to the US do not go to SGU, I thought about it but with further investigation I decided to stay in the US.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SGU is known to kick people out if they don't perform according to their standards. Therefore you will never know if you are "eligible" till you actually attend their school, take their classes, pass them very well and pass their pre-USMLE exam. Stick to the US do not go to SGU, I thought about it but with further investigation I decided to stay in the US.
Second. Don't go Caribbean. I don't know how many times it can be said on SDN.
I would go to the US schools if any accepted me. I am a typical suburban male, with a 29O MCAT, 3.84 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA and a plethora of clinical/volunteer/other experiences... And I'm taking a year off (cause I wasn't excepted last year) working a clinical assistant at a derm office...
So, that's why I'm thinking about DO/Caribbean. MDs don't want me, lol. Sad to say, but let's face it.
So this Caribbean stuff is looking like one of my only options..is it really a ~40% drop out rate? All this **** flying around StudentMed about Caribbean schools has to be legit cause everyone says it...or is that everyone says it cause the person before them said it and that's what they BELIEVE is the truth?
Frustrated, confused, and just wanna be a DOCTA 👍
So, that's why I'm thinking about DO/Caribbean. MDs don't want me, lol. Sad to say, but let's face it.
So this Caribbean stuff is looking like one of my only options..is it really a ~40% drop out rate? All this **** flying around StudentMed about Caribbean schools has to be legit cause everyone says it...or is that everyone says it cause the person before them said it and that's what they BELIEVE is the truth?
Frustrated, confused, and just wanna be a DOCTA 👍
I would go to the US schools if any accepted me. I am a typical suburban male, with a 29O MCAT, 3.84 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA and a plethora of clinical/volunteer/other experiences... And I'm taking a year off (cause I wasn't excepted last year) working a clinical assistant at a derm office...
So, that's why I'm thinking about DO/Caribbean. MDs don't want me, lol. Sad to say, but let's face it.
So this Caribbean stuff is looking like one of my only options..is it really a ~40% drop out rate? All this **** flying around StudentMed about Caribbean schools has to be legit cause everyone says it...or is that everyone says it cause the person before them said it and that's what they BELIEVE is the truth?
Frustrated, confused, and just wanna be a DOCTA 👍
The stats don't lie... *waits for Saggy to come in and puke stats on this thread*
Caribbean is no easy route. The US allopathic schools aren't easy either. The same brachial plexus is taught everywhere.
So DO and Caribbean are equivalent in your mind?I would go to the US schools if any accepted me. I am a typical suburban male, with a 29O MCAT, 3.84 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA and a plethora of clinical/volunteer/other experiences... And I'm taking a year off (cause I wasn't excepted last year) working a clinical assistant at a derm office...
So, that's why I'm thinking about DO/Caribbean. MDs don't want me, lol. Sad to say, but let's face it.
So this Caribbean stuff is looking like one of my only options..is it really a ~40% drop out rate? All this **** flying around StudentMed about Caribbean schools has to be legit cause everyone says it...or is that everyone says it cause the person before them said it and that's what they BELIEVE is the truth?
Frustrated, confused, and just wanna be a DOCTA 👍
So DO and Caribbean are equivalent in your mind?
Oh noes... here we go again...
I would retake the MCAT again and apply american once more. If you're impatient or don't do well enough on your retake then maybe consider Ross, another carribean med school. A resident that I talked to where I volunteer, said it wasn't bad. He even just got matched into a pulmonlogy fellowship. So yes you can go carribean and still be successful, but I would give american schools another go.
Also please, please make sure your application is truly solid all around. I had a friend with a 3.8 and 33 MCAT (10 or higher in each section) that only got 2 interviews, 0 acceptances. He thought his application was solid, he genuinely believed that. He had plenty of research, and a few leadership positions but...He had one semester, 20 hours total of clinical volunteering, he was missing a major component of the application. He's now at Ross.
He also blamed it on the fact that he was white, which I feel like you may have said something to that effect in your first post, don't blame other people/factors, you have control over this.
Make sure you give yourself an honest evaluation before you reapply.
Also please, please make sure your application is truly solid all around. I had a friend with a 3.8 and 33 MCAT (10 or higher in each section) that only got 2 interviews, 0 acceptances. He thought his application was solid, he genuinely believed that. He had plenty of research, and a few leadership positions but...He had one semester, 20 hours total of clinical volunteering, he was missing a major component of the application. He's now at Ross.
He also blamed it on the fact that he was white, which I feel like you may have said something to that effect in your first post, don't blame other people/factors, you have control over this.
Make sure you give yourself an honest evaluation before you reapply.
Last edited:
So DO and Caribbean are equivalent in your mind?
Lol, on sdn that's like saying "you people" to a group of African Americans
Two points I definitely want to make clear:
1. Carribean and DO are not equivelent in my mind, and I will not voice which is "better" than the other. Truthfully, I feel it isn't WHERE you get your education, but rather what you do with IT.
2. I didn't mean it as "I'm white, so I am a disadvantage." I meant it as, I'm another suburban male of Chicago...which IS a different game in many ways for someone applying to state schools in Iowa, as it is for those in say Cali, FL, or NY.
That's all I meant. Now please, stick to the question/topic. Any recommendations on which Caribbean (and don't say NONE, lol) to which I should apply to.
Muchas gracias amigos,
MHMO
1. Carribean and DO are not equivelent in my mind, and I will not voice which is "better" than the other. Truthfully, I feel it isn't WHERE you get your education, but rather what you do with IT.
2. I didn't mean it as "I'm white, so I am a disadvantage." I meant it as, I'm another suburban male of Chicago...which IS a different game in many ways for someone applying to state schools in Iowa, as it is for those in say Cali, FL, or NY.
That's all I meant. Now please, stick to the question/topic. Any recommendations on which Caribbean (and don't say NONE, lol) to which I should apply to.
Muchas gracias amigos,
MHMO
About 20-30% of people decelerate every term, adding half a semester to their study in order to take classes at half the rate. About 10% of each entering class drops out completely. Yes, the eligible graduates do find quite good residency placement, with a lot of them pre-matching outside of the Match. This might be changing in 2015+ with all the new US med schools, but SGU has a very good track record for eligible graduates (4th years) so far.
The teaching here is about a B level. There are GREAT professors, and there are professors who are good at teaching but terrible at lecturing, and then there are evil, bad professors. The Pathology department, in particular, is pure evil. Luckily, all lectures are recorded, and attendance isn't mandatory at lecture (except for Path). Lab attendance is mandatory.
Yes, the same Brachial Plexus is taught everywhere. This school isn't like Med Club.
2011 Match List: https://apps.sgu.edu/ERD/2011/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1
2011 Match List Forum Thread: http://www.valuemd.com/st-georges-u...ne/209027-official-sgu-2011-match-thread.html
If you really cared, you'd count the items on the PGY-1 match versus the matriculant statistics for each year, which is also published somewhere on the website in PowerPoint format.
The teaching here is about a B level. There are GREAT professors, and there are professors who are good at teaching but terrible at lecturing, and then there are evil, bad professors. The Pathology department, in particular, is pure evil. Luckily, all lectures are recorded, and attendance isn't mandatory at lecture (except for Path). Lab attendance is mandatory.
Yes, the same Brachial Plexus is taught everywhere. This school isn't like Med Club.
2011 Match List: https://apps.sgu.edu/ERD/2011/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1
2011 Match List Forum Thread: http://www.valuemd.com/st-georges-u...ne/209027-official-sgu-2011-match-thread.html
If you really cared, you'd count the items on the PGY-1 match versus the matriculant statistics for each year, which is also published somewhere on the website in PowerPoint format.
About 20-30% of people decelerate every term, adding half a semester to their study in order to take classes at half the rate. About 10% of each entering class drops out completely. Yes, the eligible graduates do find quite good residency placement, with a lot of them pre-matching outside of the Match. This might be changing in 2015+ with all the new US med schools, but SGU has a very good track record for eligible graduates (4th years) so far.
The teaching here is about a B level. There are GREAT professors, and there are professors who are good at teaching but terrible at lecturing, and then there are evil, bad professors. The Pathology department, in particular, is pure evil. Luckily, all lectures are recorded, and attendance isn't mandatory at lecture (except for Path). Lab attendance is mandatory.
Yes, the same Brachial Plexus is taught everywhere. This school isn't like Med Club.
2011 Match List: https://apps.sgu.edu/ERD/2011/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1
2011 Match List Forum Thread: http://www.valuemd.com/st-georges-u...ne/209027-official-sgu-2011-match-thread.html
If you really cared, you'd count the items on the PGY-1 match versus the matriculant statistics for each year, which is also published somewhere on the website in PowerPoint format.
While I am sure fine doctors are made in the carribean schools, the fact is it is limiting to what you can match in. Let me elaborate, getting a 230 on step 1 doesnt not open the same doors in the carribean (and DO) as it does with US MD schools.
Not say, one is better than another, I am just saying going to a US MD is a significant advantage.
I hear SGU is the best of the caribs. Or I should say, provides more opportunity for US residencies than the others.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also please, please make sure your application is truly solid all around. I had a friend with a 3.8 and 33 MCAT (10 or higher in each section) that only got 2 interviews, 0 acceptances. He thought his application was solid, he genuinely believed that. He had plenty of research, and a few leadership positions but...He had one semester, 20 hours total of clinical volunteering, he was missing a major component of the application. He's now at Ross.
That is incredibly stupid to do with an otherwise strong application. Lack of volunteering has to be one of the easiest things to fix out of the things that could be wrong with an application.
1. Carribean and DO are not equivelent in my mind, and I will not voice which is "better" than the other. Truthfully, I feel it isn't WHERE you get your education, but rather what you do with IT.
It's OK if you don't want to voice which is better, because everyone else is going to agree that DO is far better for your future career than Caribbean.
That is incredibly stupid to do with an otherwise strong application. Lack of volunteering has to be one of the easiest things to fix out of the things that could be wrong with an application.
Completely Agree, he's an idiot, he could have fixed his application in spring semester and summer with volunteering. I don't know why he even wants to go into Medicine. He's not the most personable, I don't think he would make the best doctor.
Two points I definitely want to make clear:
1. Carribean and DO are not equivelent in my mind, and I will not voice which is "better" than the other. Truthfully, I feel it isn't WHERE you get your education, but rather what you do with IT.
2. I didn't mean it as "I'm white, so I am a disadvantage." I meant it as, I'm another suburban male of Chicago...which IS a different game in many ways for someone applying to state schools in Iowa, as it is for those in say Cali, FL, or NY.
That's all I meant. Now please, stick to the question/topic. Any recommendations on which Caribbean (and don't say NONE, lol) to which I should apply to.
Muchas gracias amigos,
MHMO
Ross or St. George, or you can apply DO. But if you NEED the MD, retake the MCAT and apply American again, but do not go to any school in the Caribbean other than Ross or SGU.
Ross or St. George, or you can apply DO. But if you NEED the MD, retake the MCAT and apply American again, but do not go to any school in the Caribbean other than Ross or SGU.
Ross is actually the worst of the big 4 in terms of a lot of things including retention.
It's frankly
SGU >= AUC> SABA>ROSS
Ross is actually the worst of the big 4 in terms of a lot of things including retention.
It's frankly
SGU >= AUC> SABA>ROSS
I stand corrected lol. It's just my personal bias from hearing residents that have spoken highly about it.
Honestly the OP's stats are way to good to go Caribbean.
Even though I'm new to all this, this is kinda what I have been thinking all along as well... Could it be that you are only applying to the Top Medical Schools in the US, and not some of the lower ranked US Medical Schools?
About 20-30% of people decelerate every term, adding half a semester to their study in order to take classes at half the rate. About 10% of each entering class drops out completely. Yes, the eligible graduates do find quite good residency placement, with a lot of them pre-matching outside of the Match. This might be changing in 2015+ with all the new US med schools, but SGU has a very good track record for eligible graduates (4th years) so far.
The teaching here is about a B level. There are GREAT professors, and there are professors who are good at teaching but terrible at lecturing, and then there are evil, bad professors. The Pathology department, in particular, is pure evil. Luckily, all lectures are recorded, and attendance isn't mandatory at lecture (except for Path). Lab attendance is mandatory.
Yes, the same Brachial Plexus is taught everywhere. This school isn't like Med Club.
2011 Match List: https://apps.sgu.edu/ERD/2011/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1
2011 Match List Forum Thread: http://www.valuemd.com/st-georges-u...ne/209027-official-sgu-2011-match-thread.html
If you really cared, you'd count the items on the PGY-1 match versus the matriculant statistics for each year, which is also published somewhere on the website in PowerPoint format.
Solid match list. Not too many ivy residencies (3 related to cornell, but who's counting 😛 ), but not every med student is gunning for the ivy's (what do those kids say? P=MD?)
example 1just wanna be a DOCTA 👍
Stop being a *******. You have almost a 4 in 5 chances to get into an MD school.I would go to the US schools if any accepted me. I am a typical suburban male, with a 29O MCAT, 3.84 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA and a plethora of clinical/volunteer/other experiences... And I'm taking a year off (cause I wasn't excepted last year) working a clinical assistant at a derm office...
Source: http://i52.tinypic.com/2efkcaf.jpg from http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625
So many irrational people in these forums. You don't need a 3.9/40 to get into medical school.
I would go to the US schools if any accepted me. I am a typical suburban male, with a 29O MCAT, 3.84 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA and a plethora of clinical/volunteer/other experiences... And I'm taking a year off (cause I wasn't excepted last year) working a clinical assistant at a derm office...
MDs don't want me, lol. Sad to say, but let's face it.
WTF? Where the heck did you apply last year bro? A 3.8, 29 get rejected from every school... I think you need to broaden your horizons and just apply to more MDs.
Completely Agree, he's an idiot, he could have fixed his application in spring semester and summer with volunteering. I don't know why he even wants to go into Medicine. He's not the most personable, I don't think he would make the best doctor.
Sounds like honestly he probably wasnt a great interviewer either. Who knows where he applied and when, but personal statement, secondaries, applying early/on time, and interviewing ability all really do play a huge role in admissions. Looking at the MSAR, most schools have 80-90% clinical volunteering rates of accepted students. I take that to mean that 10-20% had NONE. I think the reasons I just stated played a much larger role...
Also a friend and I applied with similar stats last year (~3.45/32) and I got 5 interviews out of ~10 schools I applied to, waitlisted at 2 schools and almost got into one (within a few seats on ranked waitlist 🙁). My friend had 1 interview and was subsequently rejected at all 30 schools he applied to.
2
235788
I would go to the US schools if any accepted me. I am a typical suburban male, with a 29O MCAT, 3.84 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA and a plethora of clinical/volunteer/other experiences... And I'm taking a year off (cause I wasn't excepted last year) working a clinical assistant at a derm office...
So, that's why I'm thinking about DO/Caribbean. MDs don't want me, lol. Sad to say, but let's face it.
So this Caribbean stuff is looking like one of my only options..is it really a ~40% drop out rate? All this **** flying around StudentMed about Caribbean schools has to be legit cause everyone says it...or is that everyone says it cause the person before them said it and that's what they BELIEVE is the truth?
Frustrated, confused, and just wanna be a DOCTA 👍
Do a linkage program if you really want the american md
Last edited:
If you have the personality of a rock, go SGU.
😎
Really? I tend to see a lot of kids from top colleges (smart but not reflected in GPA) who partied too much (read: great personalities) ending up at SGU. Your post makes sense if you're responding to other people's analysis of OP though 😛
Really? I tend to see a lot of kids from top colleges (smart but not reflected in GPA) who partied too much (read: great personalities) ending up at SGU. Your post makes sense if you're responding to other people's analysis of OP though 😛
I don't attend but know a few people that do and the feedback I've gotten says that the student population is split between those people that BSd a little too much while in college and people who got good grades but once they open their mouths don't know how to formulate a coherent and/or interesting sentence.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ross & SGU have really upped their promotion budget.The amount of ads I hear during elvis duran is annoying.
Anybody that has the idea in their head that a 3.8 cGPA, 3.7 BCMP GPA and a 29O MCAT can't get into an MD school is wrong. People get into US MD school with worse all the time. Sure Illinois isn't the best state to have those stats ( Texas or Florida would be better) but you can get in IF you play your cards right. You could retake it a try to get a better score but a 29 is not bad and unless you have a section under 7 you chances of scoring lower are quite high. Instead of doing this and throwing yourself a pity party of sdn, try this, apply to a graduate program in Florida or Texas that you could complete in a year. In the same year that you are doing that program apply broadly to US MD and DO schools. If you fail to get into med school that round, you would have gain state residency in Florida or Texas and would have a real good shot at Florida schools. Keep in mind DO school are great schools. Head over to the pre-osteo forum and the osteo forum and read a few treads on it. Try shadowing a DO. Forget Carribean. Cut out this I am a typical white male BS and quit asking people on sdn what they think about Carribean school. We hate them. Get your head in the game and you will do fine.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 680
- Replies
- 48
- Views
- 15K