St. George's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klinzou

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is this caribbean school? I was under the impression that caribbean schools were sub-par, or at least hurt your chances of good residencies. I had a friend tell me it was some kind of 3-2 program with a mainland school, and was actually considered a good program. Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

klinzou said:
How is this caribbean school? I was under the impression that caribbean schools were sub-par, or at least hurt your chances of good residencies. I had a friend tell me it was some kind of 3-2 program with a mainland school, and was actually considered a good program. Anyone know?
This is probably the best out of the ones down there. Then you have Ross which is comparable. I friend of mine graduated from SGU and now he's doin his endocrinology residency at Vanderbilt and his fellowship in lipids at Houston. So that's just one example. there are a lot of good docs that come out of the caribs.. and a lot that aren't very good.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the cardiologists I work for went to SGU. He did both his residency and fellowship in New Jersey.. I don't know which hospitals though. That being said, he's an excellent doctor... All of his patients adore him, and he is very impressive.

Youll find lots of information about St. George's in the Caribbean Forum under the International main Forum.

It is a well-respected school, with lots of residents and practicing physicians in the US, in most specialties. The program is a typical 4 year program, with the 1st two years (usally a little less) spent on the island of Grenada and the final two years spent in various US hospitals for clinical rotations. It does not have a "mainland" school but rather affiliations/agreements with hospitals for its students to rotate there.

Please check the International forums for more information.