St. George's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVM2Be2011

St George's Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning at SGU in August 2008 ( Anyone else out there?) and I was wondering if anyone knew what the schedules are like down there as far as when classes are, lunch breaks, etc. I've heard some things about no classes on Fridays, only 1 fall holiday, no spring break...can anyone clear things up? The website doesn't mention anything about this. Also any current SGU students have any suggestions as far as what to bring, what to buy there, what not to have, etc? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no an SGU graduate/student myself, but my friend is a student there and it's true that you don't get a Spring break. She likes it a lot there though, and I have heard both good and bad things from people who have gone there.

You don't get a spring break per se, but you do get Good Friday and Easter Monday off, and that's practically like a break.

I think there are two or three one day holidays in the fall term, but I can't recall off the top of my head. Just google "national holidays grenada" or something.

Facilities are pretty good, you usually get an hour (or more ) for lunch. You WILL eventually have class on fridays, but it's not usually like eighteen hours all day every friday.

See valuemd if you want a list of 'stuff to bring' (the thread is like 1800 pages long, too long to type from memory here) it's on the SGUMed forum, not the vet forum.

I'd not bring an animal unless you require the animal for survival, as it is difficult at best and impossible at worst to get them on/off the island (more difficult to get them OFF)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there. :)

I will probably be going to SGU for August 2008 too! If you go to: http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/svm/academic-calendar.html , it shows the holidays that the students get each term. It doesn't look like much the first term, but there are a couple of holidays Spring term which is nice.

Orthonut, I've heard a lot of different things about bringing an animal to the islands.. Do you know if cats can be put underneath the seat? I'm not looking to bring my cat the first term, but I am thinking about bringing her eventually. Is there a quarintine period and is it in the house or at a shelter -- for both arriving on the islands and coming back to the States.

Hi there. :)

I will probably be going to SGU for August 2008 too! If you go to: http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/svm/academic-calendar.html , it shows the holidays that the students get each term. It doesn't look like much the first term, but there are a couple of holidays Spring term which is nice.

Orthonut, I've heard a lot of different things about bringing an animal to the islands.. Do you know if cats can be put underneath the seat? I'm not looking to bring my cat the first term, but I am thinking about bringing her eventually. Is there a quarintine period and is it in the house or at a shelter -- for both arriving on the islands and coming back to the States.
Depends on where you are coming from-US/NA then no quarantine but health cert/rab vax required.

Some cats fit under the seat, some don't

That said, unless you ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE a SERVICE DOG (Not an "emotional support" animal, I mean a real, true, bonafide service dog)

I would NOT repeat NOT, N O T NOT bring an animal here. It is very difficult and expensive to say the least to get the animal off the island.

Has anyone there had any problems with dengue?

Has anyone there had any problems with dengue?

Of course, we do have Aegis Aegypti or however you spell it. But it's not like an ebola epidemic or anything.

Of course, we do have Aegis Aegypti or however you spell it. But it's not like an ebola epidemic or anything.

I have no idea what information you're trying to convey here.

We have Aedes aegypti in the US, too, but don't have Dengue. The mosquito carries dengue, but the mosquito's presence doesn't mean there will be dengue in that location.

And Dengue is not Ebola, obviously. But getting Dengue is very serious. The disease is extremely painful (this is why it's nicknamed "breakbone fever," because that's what it is supposed to feel like), and even after you've technically recovered you're still totally wiped out for several months. It's very debilitating. Not to mention that, if more than one serotype of dengue is found in a given location, once you've had one infection, re-infection with another serotype greatly increases your chance for developing DHF.

To the person with the original question, maybe check out the CDC travel warnings for Grenada to be sure what the situation is. FYI..there is no good dengue vaccine at the moment due to the multiple infections with different serotypes and development of DHF issue I mentioned above.

We have Aedes aegypti in the US, too, but don't have Dengue. The mosquito carries dengue, but the mosquito's presence doesn't mean there will be dengue in that location.

And Dengue is not Ebola, obviously. But getting Dengue is very serious. The disease is extremely painful (this is why it's nicknamed "breakbone fever," because that's what it is supposed to feel like), and even after you've technically recovered you're still totally wiped out for several months. It's very debilitating. Not to mention that, if more than one serotype of dengue is found in a given location, once you've had one infection, re-infection with another serotype greatly increases your chance for developing DHF.

To the person with the original question, maybe check out the CDC travel warnings for Grenada to be sure what the situation is. FYI..there is no good dengue vaccine at the moment due to the multiple infections with different serotypes and development of DHF issue I mentioned above.

Thanks for the meaningless academic answer. I already know what dengue is and have checked the CDC website. I was asking someone WHO IS CURRENTLY ON THE ISLAND to comment. It seems my question has already been generally answered in that the more dangerous subtype is not a huge problem.

Thanks for the meaningless academic answer. I already know what dengue is and have checked the CDC website. I was asking someone WHO IS CURRENTLY ON THE ISLAND to comment. It seems my question has already been generally answered in that the more dangerous subtype is not a huge problem.

My post was not aimed at you. I didn't even remember you were the one posting the question. If you got something meaningful out of "it's not like an ebola epidemic or anything," good for you. My thought was that Orthonut's statement was not very informative about dengue in general or dengue on the island, but maybe that was just me.

I really am at a loss as to why you chose to be so aggressive in your response.

Yes, I was the original poster of the dengue question.

You seem to consistently put in your "two cents"; kinda like the dog that likes to hear itself bark.

Why do you pick apart other people posts? And for the stupidest things to boot. You couldn't answer the question, so you decided to attack the orthonut's answer. Pathetic.

Get a life.

I'm glad there is an "ignore" function on this forum.

You seem to consistently put in your "two cents"; kinda like the dog that likes to hear itself bark.

Why do you pick apart other people posts? And for the stupidest things to boot. You couldn't answer the question, so you decided to attack the orthonut's answer. Pathetic.

Get a life.

I don't think anything I've ever said on this forum has crossed the line quite as thoroughly as you just did.

CLIMB DOWN OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE. I've had Dengue.

If you actually READ my post you would have noticed that I was conveying the information that it isn't a rampant bringer of death.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orthonut and loo, you guys seem awfully quick to criticize and flame. It seems like loo asked "is there dengue on the island" to which Orthonut responded, "we have the mosquito, but dengue is not endemic to the island". Without knowing anything about loo's background knowledge in vector-borne diseases, VAgirl pointed out that the transmission epidemiology is pretty complicated, and that dengue can be pretty serious. All anyone's doing is trying to pass information along - there are no high horses, and no one should be getting offended.

No viral disease should be taken lightly, especially not one that causes fever, rash, and incredible pain, +/- mortality. Some people have less severe symptoms; others can develop dengue shock (DHF - a hemorrhagic fever), which as a very high mortality rate. In short, some have a mild fever, some hurt really bad, some die. A quick comparison to Ebola - "oh, don't worry, it's not THAT bad!" really misses the point, and VAgirl was simply explaining the details involved. Even if Orthonut had dengue (which may or may not say something about the endemicity on the island!), his/her blase attitude in relation to his personal experience is of limited utility to others, in comparison to rigorous epidemiological analyses. Any medical professionals involved with tropical diseases, either personally or professionally, should respect that basic principle.

Why so angry, so fast? Loo - why get so personal without provocation? Orthonut - why such a chip on your shoulder?

I read your post, orthonut, and I thought it was a little unclear. C'est la vie. I am not understanding this pile on VAgirl thing, though. What gives? She doesn't deserve this. Perhaps everyone is stressed by the application process and/or finals.

Yeah, guys. Chill out.

That's the good thing about posting on forums - you can consider what you're trying to say, how you'd like to say it, and what the impact will be... all before hitting that little "post" button. There's no reason to intentionally hurt feelings no matter if you disagree with something, don't think given advice or information was helpful, or even if you for some reason dislike someone who posted (that, incidentally, you've never met). I think that decorum should be the standard on a forum containing so many educated, well-rounded people.

Or I could merely quote the old adage - "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

To be honest, I gained more information from VAgirl's post than either of the others. Am I going to school there? No. But I do want to go to some of the islands, and have been reading this forum as a way to learn more about the different aspects.

If you didn't want anyone but a particular person to reply to a post/question, it might be best to use the private message function. Otherwise, its open for others to post/comment upon. Just a thought.

Back to the subject, anyone want to contribute any info about SGU?

I'm currently finishing up 2nd term at SGU. First term you'll be taking Anatomy, Physio, Histology, Embryology, and Animal Welfare and Behavior, but AWB is only for half the term. You'll have labs in the morning and lectures in the afternoon. Anatomy lab is 2 days a week for 2 hours, you'll either have it 8-10 or 10-noon. You also have a histo lab one morning a week. So overall you should have 2 mornings free each week. Every afternoon lectures are from 1-4. Unfortunately this includes Fridays... Also the fall term is really lacking on holidays. The only day off we had was for Grenadian Thanksgiving in October. Our class worked with the professors and switched some classes around though so we got a 4 day weekend. This term is much better, we had Good Friday and Easter Monday along with some other days, and we also have May Day and Whit Monday off coming up, which is nice because its right before finals.

As for things you should bring down..I'd say try to bring as much as you can fit. Things are typically more expensive here so if it fits in your luggage you'll be saving money. But don't worry if you do need to get it here, pretty much everything you need is available here, it just might not be exactly what you're used to.

Congratulations on getting in :)

I'm going to be starting at SGU SVM in August as well! SGUVet (or anyone else), what has the adjustment to island life been like? Any advice as far as academics are concerned? Anything we should be doing this summer to get ready?

I think everyone probably adjusts differently to Grenada. If you're laid back and easygoing it should be easy for you, but it is quite different from living in the states and expecting to get anything you want anytime you want it. Overall I think you just need to be really open about the experience and get out and meet people. If you're coming by yourself to stay here then you need a good group of people because they will be like your family for the next 3 years.

I would say to just enjoy your last summer of freedom. But if you really want to do something to prepare yourself, then you could pick up a canine anatomy book and review some of that material since its what you spend all of your time doing in anatomy first term. But don't stress out about it too much because you'll be doing that when you get here!

Get a life.

wow. you're a real douchebag.

I just thought of another question for SGU students: is it common to bring laptops to class to take notes on? I'm trying to decide on a laptop, and even though I haven't used one for notes in undergrad, it seems like it might be useful in vet school! Thanks!

Please refrain from personally attacking and insulting other members. If anyone needs a reminder on what is appropriate for the forums, please refer to the SDN Terms of Service that you agreed to when you registered.

I just thought of another question for SGU students: is it common to bring laptops to class to take notes on? I'm trying to decide on a laptop, and even though I haven't used one for notes in undergrad, it seems like it might be useful in vet school! Thanks!
yeah I *coughgetontheinternetcough* take notes on my lappy during class

Hey congrats to all of you on getting in to St. George's!! You are in for a real treat down here--the curriculum is the same as the vet schools in the US but everyone here is SO MUCH MORE RELAXED!!!! It takes a bit of time to adjust to island life and seriously after 4 months of being on a small island you're ready for open roads and big cities BUT it is SO beautiful here, it's so wonderful to be able to go to the beach to unwind after class or study.

What I like the best is that you form a real community with your class AND your professors. Because you're all in this small place and are trying to get through it together. The professors here are mostly transplants from vet schools in the US/UK looking for a break, and I couldn't imagine having a more supportive group of people teaching you, watching your back, and helping you learn all this stuff!! It is HARD but so rewarding.

Bring down everything you can possible bring down. The choices here are VERY limited. Good food is especially missed, so bring some of your favorites, chances are you can't get it here. You won't need to pack much for clothes but make sure you bring a sweatshirt for the cold A/C classrooms. And definitely a LAPTOP for class notes, typing notes after class, reading along on powerpoints during class, etc. Laptop = lifeline! so invest in a good one!!

This summer, as the previous poster said, review your canine anatomy, it will give you a big leg up when you're starting out. But mostly enjoy your last summer in the US and get as much work experience as you can.
Good luck and just ask if you have any more questions... I love it here in Grenada but am definitely ready to get out for the summer. 1 more week!