St. Kates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTforMe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted into St. Kate's today! I was so nervous because they got over 300 applicants and only have 35 spots (plus they save some for people with St. Kate's undergrads). Anyone else going to St. Kate's?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!! I didn't apply this year, but I will be for next year and they will be one of my top choices. Would you mind posting your stats?

Sure.

University: University of Minnesota
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Didn't take

Extra-Curric/Volunteer: Graduated Magna Cum Laude and wrote a thesis. Shadowed in 7 OT settings for 250+ hours. Coordinated 3 psych research projects and supervised nearly 1,000 students. Presented at 2 national psych conferences. I also have a LOT of volunteer hours -- I haven't even kept track of everything. Hospice care. AmeriCorps. I was a Respite Care provider for a child. Served on several mental health committees at my school. Volunteered in a neurodevelopmental disorders lab. Vice President for an honor society. Taught Hmong refugees and worked as a writing consultant for 2 years. I also had a COTA write one of my recommendations and put a lot of effort into my essay.

Acceptances: St. Kate's, UND, St. Ambrose

Rejections: none

Still waiting: UMN, Concordia

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure.

University: University of Minnesota
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Didn’t take

Extra-Curric/Volunteer: Graduated Magna Cum Laude and wrote a thesis. Shadowed in 7 OT settings for 250+ hours. Coordinated 3 psych research projects and supervised nearly 1,000 students. Presented at 2 national psych conferences. I also have a LOT of volunteer hours -- I haven’t even kept track of everything. Hospice care. AmeriCorps. I was a Respite Care provider for a child. Served on several mental health committees at my school. Volunteered in a neurodevelopmental disorders lab. Vice President for an honor society. Taught Hmong refugees and worked as a writing consultant for 2 years. I also had a COTA write one of my recommendations and put a lot of effort into my essay.

Acceptances: St. Kate’s, UND, St. Ambrose

Rejections: none

Still waiting: UMN, Concordia

Congrats on all your acceptances! I also applied to Concordia WI.

Thanks!

Oh, really? That was one school that I didn't think would reject me! It's weird they have an excel computer class as a prereq and won't let you waive it. What is your top choice? I think I'll probably be going to St. Kate's, but I'm not 100% sure.

Wow Congrats! I applied to St. Kates as well but still have not received anything. When did you get your letter? You have some pretty impressive stats. Do you know if you will be going to St. Kates?

I also applied to st kates but I havent heard anything yet. I live in Texas so I'm sure my letter is in the mail. I'm really nervous it was my first choice but my stats are not as good as the OP. I've got my fingers crossed.

I am nervous as well. Readybetty, can I ask you what your stats are? I just want to see where I stand with other applicants. OTforme has really good stats and my stats are nowhere near as good as hers.

I think I will, but I'm not sure yet. What sucks about not going to St. Kate's for your undergrad is that they save "up to 20" spots for people who go dual degree BA/MAOT. So for the day class program, they're only potentially letting in 15 non St. Kate's students! That's crazy. So out of 300+ applicants, that's only admitting about 5% if all 20 spots are saved for the GAP students.

I live in mpls, so they must have sent out the letters on Friday. Mine was dated for the 15th though.

Good luck to you both -- and please do keep me posted!

I just got my letter I was wait listed. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My stats:

Cum Gpa- 3.25
Prereq GPA-3.0
I have 200 observation hours at one place and the lady I observed wrote my LOR. I have alot of expereince in the health care field. for example I was a personal attendant to people with various disabilities. I have worked in a Psych ward and I currently work at a rehabilitation facility. I worked all of my work experience and my personal experience with the field into my essay.

This time around I applied to
Rush University- Rejected
St kates- waitlisted
I have yet to here from
Uof Minnesota
Midwestern downers grove

Aw, sorry to hear that :[ at least you weren't straight up rejected. There's still hope for you!

I noticed that you applied to 2 schools in MN and you're from TX -- usually people want to go south, not north!

Thanks!

Oh, really? That was one school that I didn't think would reject me! It's weird they have an excel computer class as a prereq and won't let you waive it. What is your top choice? I think I'll probably be going to St. Kate's, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hey OTforMe,
The excel course is really strange. I'm a non-traditional student and so I have worked with Excel/Word for years! I have taken the certification classes and so forth in my professional experience. I spoke to Kahty about it and she stated that you can test out of it when you get there. If you don't pass the test (pretty likely considering the last time I used Excel 2003 was...???? haha) that you can take it alongside your other courses while there. So that at least sounded reasonable.

I also graduated from a Concordia (Irvine) so I hope that they will look favorably on me coming back. Tufts was my top choice but I was rejected this morning. I then got a rejection this afternoon from University of Pitts. So it hasn't been a fun day. I met criteria but all the rejection letters have stated the same "RECORD number of applicants this year and while you meet everything we want, we just don't have enough spaces".

Trying to remain positive and hopeful. I have had an issue trying to get in touch with Kathy at Concordia, at least recently. My application is complete but is showing on it's status online as missing some criteria which is already in the OTCAS application. They also had me apply on their website too and that was a mistake b/c they have had my OTCAS app for awhile which covered everything. So hoping I can get in touch with them tomorrow to clear things up. Fingers crossed, this process is rough now.

I got my letter today and unfortunately I was rejected. I can't even begin to explain how disappointed I am. I worked really hard for this but I guess it wasn't enough. I also applied to Concordia, U of M and UW-Milwaukee. But now that I got rejected at St. Kates, I really doubt I'll get in anywhere. St. Kates was my best shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you say that? I think it may be easier to get into those schools than it is to St. Kate's just because of their rankings. Chin up! If OT is something you really want to do, keep trying.

I got my letter today and unfortunately I was rejected. I can't even begin to explain how disappointed I am. I worked really hard for this but I guess it wasn't enough. I also applied to Concordia, U of M and UW-Milwaukee. But now that I got rejected at St. Kates, I really doubt I'll get in anywhere. St. Kates was my best shot.

Daoxx026, I really hope you get in at one of the other schools you are waiting on. I know what you mean about how disappointed you are, today didn't feel great at all. Bah!

Why do you say that? I think it may be easier to get into those schools than it is to St. Kate's just because of their rankings. Chin up! If OT is something you really want to do, keep trying.

Unfortunately, my GPA is not that high and St. Kates average GPA of last years class was only 3.2 so I thought I had a better chance. But with the volume of applicants that applied this year, I knew it was going to be tough so everyone that got in definitely deserved it!

I got my fingers crossed! I have family in MN and I really want to get out of texas just for a little while. It seems like with each year that goes by there are more and more applicants for OT, which really makes it hard for us repeat applicants.

I applied and was accepted to St. Kate's and Texas Woman's University - Houston and will be making my decision pretty soon. I'll probably decide to stay in Houston so for anyone on the WL, it looks like a spot might open soon.

For any of you guys who are interested to know more about what the St. Kate's program is like, I am a 2009 MAOT graduate of St. Kate's (weekend program) and I'd be willing to answer any questions you have. Overall, I had a really good experience--St. Kate's has excellent professors, good breadth of coverage of subject matter and their clinical fieldwork program is very good (I was able to do fieldworks in psych, pediatrics, adults/geriatrics and acute care). So, if you've got questions, send them my way! :)

congrats!
i got in at st. kates but have declined.
i have down between u o minnesota and u of new mexico

did you decide on st. kates over o of m?
if so, let me know why please

For any of you guys who are interested to know more about what the St. Kate's program is like, I am a 2009 MAOT graduate of St. Kate's (weekend program) and I'd be willing to answer any questions you have. Overall, I had a really good experience--St. Kate's has excellent professors, good breadth of coverage of subject matter and their clinical fieldwork program is very good (I was able to do fieldworks in psych, pediatrics, adults/geriatrics and acute care). So, if you've got questions, send them my way! :)

I would love to hear more about your time at St. Kates. Were you only required to be there Friday afternoon-Saturday afternoon? For the fieldwork seminars done in the cities on the weekends or on your own?

I was also accepted into St. Kates; I received my letter today as a matter of fact. I am torn between St. kates and Nova Southeastern in FL. It all comes down to cost for me, I will be making my decision shortly. Congrats to everyone that was accepted and good luck to the people still waiting.

When does the program start exactly? Does anyone know the specific date?

Brisa2004 How many males were in your class? What did you think of St. kates cirriculum and field work experience?

OTforMe, have you heard back from concordia yet? I'm assuming its Concordia University- Wisconsin, right?

This thread is from last year. I was accepted at Concordia

wow, sorry. Never dawned on me to look at the thread's date

Has anyone heard anything from St. Kate's for 2013 admissions?

Has anyone heard anything from St. Kate's for 2013 admissions?

Not yet, but they said approximately 8 weeks after the december1st deadline so it should be anytime now that we hear! I do know they got a lot of applicants though so I'm nervous to hear back....:(

I sent them an e-mail this morning, so hopefully they will reply with some helpful information!!

Their response:

Letters have not gone out yet. Due to some unforeseen issues, reviewing applications is still in process. We expect letters (both rejection and acceptance) should be in the mail by the second or third week in February. Thank you for your patience!
Mary North
Administrative Assistant

Stay tuned!! :)

I received an e-mail from the admissions committee a few weeks ago saying that they "anticipate that letters of decision will be mailed after February 18." I'm guessing (or maybe more hoping?!) that the "after February 18th" means that decisions have been made by today, but with the holiday letters are going out this week. Maybe I'm being optimistic and it will be a little longer, but I think we should hear soon! Best of luck to you all!

I got a letter of acceptance today! I am going to University of Puget Sound in Washington though, so my spot will be there for someone else!! Good luck everyone!!

Has anyone else received their letter? Nothing has come in the mail yet for me...

I received my acceptance letter on Thursday and will be accepting the offer! Best of luck to everyone!!

Has anyone heard back from St. Kate's recently? It would be fun to start getting to know future classmates!

Has anybody heard back from St. Kate's for the 2015-2016 cycle yet?

Has anybody heard back from St. Kate's for the 2015-2016 cycle yet?

I doubt anyone has. In the email they sent after I submitted my app, it says they'll send decisions end of Feb/early March. We've got a while!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything yet? Hope to find out soon!

I know somebody who was accepted and received a letter in the mail on Monday.. I have not gotten anything yet though.

Has anyone who applied to the day program received anything? I live in the cities and haven't received anything yet :/

Has anyone who applied to the day program received anything? I live in the cities and haven't received anything yet :/
I got accepted to the day program yesterday via mail. I'm sure you'll hear back soon. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted to the day program yesterday via mail. I'm sure you'll hear back soon. Good luck!!
Congratulations on your acceptance! Do you mind me asking if you are from around here and when you letter was post marked? I'm trying to time when my admissions decision will arrive. Thanks :)