St. Louis University LA region interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duke05

Giver of bad name to Love
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SLU has interviews in both St. Louis and LA. Does anyone have experience at the LA location or know if there are any drawbacks to interviewing there? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

duke05 said:
SLU has interviews in both St. Louis and LA. Does anyone have experience at the LA location or know if there are any drawbacks to interviewing there? thanks!

you only get an interview...no presentations, no touring of the school...so you miss out on some stuff but its so nice to just have to do the 30minute interview and get to go home...no planes to catch, no hotels to book. cheers!

edit: in terms of getting in, it has no affect.

well the previous poster is mostly on the mark except for some points I think you need to consider

1. Interviewing at the school always look better to the school than accepting a regional invite. It shows that you're really interested in seeing the school and meeting the students. It also gives you some info and down low 411 on the school during your tour or night before in st. louis. So when you're answering the why SLU question, you have very specific and first hand reasons.

2. Interviewing with a regional interviewer is okay but it won't make or break you exactly. The regional interviewer will be an admissions member. But SLU interviews are often done by the dean of admissions himself, Dr. Willmore. I had mine with him and he was really really nice. I felt I connected with him and I feel that sorta helped me get into the school. So I think you should consider this because I was offered a regional interview at LA and turned it down so I could go to the school and see it myself. Plus I was already in chicago so going back home to LA was kinda more expensive anyways.

3.Students- students are probably the best way to get a good feel for any school. If they're laid back, if they're super studious, if they're super nice.... or not. I stayed with student hosts at SLU (do it. it's cheap and really good). They gave me a lot of advice on the application process and SLU. So you're missing out on an opp to talk to students.

4. I've heard regional interviews were generally lukewarm. Interviewer will probably interview about 15-20 people at a time by himself. I can bet at the end of it, it'll be tiring. It's hard to make an impression on someone whose interviewing a slew of people. Plus add on the fact that the interviewer doesn't give his feedback of you until he goes back to SLU. which can be who knows when and he'll by that time interviewed quite a lot of students.

5. Flights from LA to Saint Louis aren't as expensive as you think. St. Louis is extremely accessible thru the train that runs directly from the airport to near campus of the med school campus. Southwest tickets are reasonable and most flights go out to St Louis anyways. If you can spare about 200-300 dollars do the interview at the school. You'll not regret it.

thanks both of you for the input. the main reason i would do LA is because i'm working full-time, and they have weekend LA interviews, whereas the SLU ones are only on tuesdays. I'll check out plane ticket prices though.