St Louis University School of Medicine anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akhilles604

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview upcoming at St. Louis University School of Medicine on MOnday. I know this is probably late, but has anyone been accepted, matriculated or interviwed there?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview upcoming at St. Louis University School of Medicine on MOnday. I know this is probably late, but has anyone been accepted, matriculated or interviwed there?

I interviewed at SLU in early September, and was accepted on October 15th (I've already withdrawn my acceptance, though). The interview day was definitely laid back. If you are a minority, there is a good chance that you will interview with Dr. Rausch (my interviewer). The only other minority on my day interviewed with Dr. Rausch as well. He was extremely nice, and basically read his questions off a paper and wrote my answers down as I spoke. We barely made eye contact during the whole 45 minutes, but don't let that make you nervous, it's just the way he does it.

I think everyone gets asked the same questions. From what I can remember, they are "run of the mill" interview questions. Some of them were "tell me about yourself, why medicine, what's your biggest challenge, what are you most proud of, why slu, what's your biggest accomplishment, tell me about your shadowing experience, describe volunteer experience, three words to describe yourself, what 3 things would you change about yourself, describe research experience, etc" If you've already had a few interviews you should be just fine. If you have anymore specific questions, let me know. Good luck :luck: You'll do great!

Thanks a bunch. I had an interview with Dr. Rausch, and had the pleasure of meeting him through someone at the SNMA conference in San Francisco.
They rescheduled my interview to the afternoon to Dr. Willmore, who is the assistant dean of admissions, Those questions you provided are helpful.
How do you think you did in your interview? I have had one previously at U of Iowa, I really loved it, but would have liked to have done better on my interview. I am going to focus on doing well in this one, I fly out EARLy sunday morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a bunch. I had an interview with Dr. Rausch, and had the pleasure of meeting him through someone at the SNMA conference in San Francisco.
They rescheduled my interview to the afternoon to Dr. Willmore, who is the assistant dean of admissions, Those questions you provided are helpful.
How do you think you did in your interview? I have had one previously at U of Iowa, I really loved it, but would have liked to have done better on my interview. I am going to focus on doing well in this one, I fly out EARLy sunday morning.

I think my interview went really well. It was my first one, and I was kind of nervous, but Dr. Rausch told me a few times that I was doing an excellent job and would have many acceptances coming my way ( I didn't really know how to respond to that, but he seemed sincere about it).

If I were you, I would plan to have well thought out answers to "Why SLU, and Why medicine". These seem to be pretty crucial questions at any interview. Research SLU's website, and the interview feedback section to get more info about the school. Know exactly why you want to go to SLU and make sure you can convey that in a conversation.

There is this forum on sdn, " A Plug for Saint Louis U. School of Medicine" here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=443049&highlight=a+plug

started by a current SLU student, that might be worthwhile to check out.

Also, if you think your Iowa interview didn't go well, try and think back to why that was. Were you nervous? Fumbled on specific questions? You can always learn from previous interviews, even if they didn't go perfectly.

Again, good luck :luck: , i'm rooting for you!

Damn! Thank you very much for the vote of confidence. I never really looked at my past interview like that, and yes you hit the nail right on the head. I was nervous and I fumbled on some questions.
I do have well formulated answers for why SLU, why medicine. The other questions, I am going to work on further. This was great, thank you very much. I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors.

I also just interviewed at SLU a few weeks ago (still waiting on my decision), and also interviewed with Dr Rausch. One other boy interviewed with him that day as well, but I don't think he was URM...I didn't want to come right out and ask him.

Dr Rausch was pretty nice, we got into a whole conversation about where I'm from and people that he knows that I might know :rolleyes: It was kind of cool. He stuck exactly to the questions that were posted above, with a few different ones (I can't remember the exact wording, but very common interview questions). Something along the lines of what was a major disappointment, why am I unique or special over other applicants. Also, he took copious notes on my family background...I'm Native, so he was writing down all the info like registered family names, tribes, etc. Don't know if that would apply to you or not, but they just want the details (I think they verify it or something, cuz he wanted exact spellings). Either way, it is pretty low stress, and he's very nice and easy to talk to. Just don't get thrown by the fact that he doesn't look at you during the interview! He does just sit there and write down your responses! Good luck, and enjoy it! It's a nice school. :luck:

Hi guys! I have an interview at SLU coming up on Dec. 23rd. I'm a Canadian applicant, and I've been informed that I'm interviewing with Michael Graham. Does anybody know anything about him, or if certain interviewers are assigned to all international applicants?

Also, just wondering if there were any weird questions that threw you guys off. But from what I've taken it's a pretty standard line-up? I've just done one interview before, and that was a Canadian med school last year. But I guess some experience is better than none :p

I appreciate the help!