St. Luke's Roosevelt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara_surgery

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really liked it there when I interviewed. Seemed like a pretty warm and friendly place (of course it is surgery, so it is all relative). Seems pretty popular too among applicants (but I can't help but wonder if the location + housing) makes it appealing, or is it truly a great program? I know that several people who interviewed at programs like Columbia and Cornell ultimately ended up ranking St. Luke's 1st.

Basically, can anyone shed any more light on this program? Anyone else who interviewed there have any strong opinions? (positive or negative). It's a community program... Should I consider one of the university programs I interviewed at 1st?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody can help me out? Give me their opinion of the interview/program?

sara_surgery said:
I really liked it there when I interviewed. Seemed like a pretty warm and friendly place (of course it is surgery, so it is all relative). Seems pretty popular too among applicants (but I can't help but wonder if the location + housing) makes it appealing, or is it truly a great program? I know that several people who interviewed at programs like Columbia and Cornell ultimately ended up ranking St. Luke's 1st.

Basically, can anyone shed any more light on this program? Anyone else who interviewed there have any strong opinions? (positive or negative). It's a community program... Should I consider one of the university programs I interviewed at 1st?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!!!!

I interviewed early there and honestly, I did not have great expectations before visiting. But I have to say that I was pleasantly impressed at the apparent quality of the program. The attendings were very friendly, the residents seemed happy, and the resident-attending relationships appeared good...people joking around and having regular conversation during lunch, etc. My "gut" feeling was that I would be comfortable and happy working in such an environment. I liked the facilities at both hospitals. I especially was impressed with their lap skills lab (they had a DaVinci to play with!...donated by someone or a group)...and residents actually had time to practice in the lab. I would consider it an academic program although it's not research-intensive. I felt that research opportunities were there and residents received fellowships that they desired. I have talked to a few residents who graduated from my med school and they ranked SLR higher than many other traditionally academic places...one ranked it #1. The location is the icing on the cake.