St Matthew's/Grand Cayman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilyBea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have kind of a wierd situtaion. My husband has been transferred down to Grand Cayman for work for three years. All of our living expenses would be paid for, so the high price of living wouldn't be an issue. I have not applied to MD schools yet, I was planning to this Fall. I have good MCAT scores and grades which should get me into medical school in the US, not to mention great personal connections with my local medical school.

Am I out of my mind to think about attending St Matthew's? I guess the main appeal for me is being able to be with my husband while not having to push my plans back a few years, not having to wait a year to hear back from the schools and coming back to the US having passed my step one.

Is it possible to transfer back to the US after two years?
Does anyone go there and have first hand experience?
Any input is greatly appricated!!

Members don't see this ad.

YES, OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!!!!!

Even the best Carib schools are to be the last choice when you have a chance in the US.

St. Matts is a school with MANY problems. It is probably the 5th or 6th in the Carib and will limit where you can get a license in the US. Transferring is even harder than getting accepted in the first place. It is highly unlikely that it will happen.

I have kind of a wierd situtaion. My husband has been transferred down to Grand Cayman for work for three years. All of our living expenses would be paid for, so the high price of living wouldn't be an issue. I have not applied to MD schools yet, I was planning to this Fall. I have good MCAT scores and grades which should get me into medical school in the US, not to mention great personal connections with my local medical school.

Am I out of my mind to think about attending St Matthew's? I guess the main appeal for me is being able to be with my husband while not having to push my plans back a few years, not having to wait a year to hear back from the schools and coming back to the US having passed my step one.

I'm not married so I don't know how much it really means to you (or anyone) to be apart.

But if your GPA, MCAT, and other stats are good enough for US schools and you choose to go to the Caribbean (St. Matthew's on top of that), you're selling yourself short.

Either go for it at a US school or re-think what you really want. Don't try to manage an unnecessary balancing act.

Members don't see this ad :)

Three words: Long distance relationship