st vincents (Richmond) staten island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yahoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard they are bankrupt and may close down the residency program.Is this true? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

yahoo said:
I heard they are bankrupt and may close down the residency program.Is this true? :confused:

Can anyone share their experiences of st. vincents (richmond) staten island's psychiatry residency program? I would appreciate any input or impressions from medical students who have rotated there, previous interviewees, or past/current psych residents regarding this program? If you prefer, please PM me.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

any thoughts from NYMC or SUNY Brooklyn medical students who have rotated through here would be much appreciated. thanks!

bump

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about the Richmond program in regards to what student experiences have been there, but since I am a soon to be resident at St. Vincent's-Manhattan, I will tell you what I know.

St. Vincent's on Staten Island is part of a larger network known as St. Vincent's Catholic Medical Centers (www.svcmcny.org). This includes, but is not limited to, St. Vincent's-Manhattan, the Midtown affiliate, at least one hospital in Queens, and St. Vincent's-Staten Island. The entire network filed for bankruptcy last year, and they are working through things in court. I have heard several things about what is exactly going to happen with the hospital system, with one of the rumors (among many, mind you) being that the Staten Island hospital would be sold. At the present, I have no confirmation of that rumor, but it hasn't been sold at this point.

The Staten Island program does have a psychiatry residency program at this point, but its future is unknown to me. I actually applied to their program last year and was contacted by them. They withdrew from the match and were interviewing candidates and offering contracts long before the match (this was late October). Since I was a US grad participating in the NRMP Match, this wasn't an option for me, so I politely declined.

I know that isn't much, but I figured that you would at least know that they do "Pre-Match," so to speak.