Stafford loan repayment

Started by greens
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

greens

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
First off I would like to say that I have already posted a similar message in the international discussion board, but have not yet received any replies. I am wondering if anyone has experience with trying to pay back student loans while working as a doctor abroad. I will soon be working in New Zealand after just recently graduating from here. I am aware that if I was back in the states I would qualify for a deferment while I was doing residency training. I am wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and qualified for deferment while they were in their "post-med school training years" in a foreign country. I can't seem to find information anywhere, nor have a gotten a real answer from my lender. Thanks for any info.
 
There is no residency deferment. Did you bother to read the document they have on there? You are only eligible for deferment if you have an outstanding loan disbursed prior to 1993. Everything after 1993 is no longer eligible.

"For borrowers with an outstanding balance on at least one FFEL Program loan that was made before July 1, 1993, or who had an outstanding balance on a loan made before July 1, 1993, when he or she obtained a loan on or after July 1, 1993"