1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Stafford loans with citibank and/or Nelli mae?

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by meanderson, May 6, 2004.

1. meanderson

meanderson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

One of my financial aid applications it says much of it will come in the form of the stafford federal loan program. I understand this program and the unsub/sub max part of it, but then they ask me to check the lender of my choice for the stafford loan program(Citibank or Nellie Mae)? Is there a difference between the two since these are stafford loans and I wouldn't have to borrow over 38.5k any year at this school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gaf

gaf Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I've seen a similar form, in my case for unsub'd Stafford loans. Check out each lender's terms. Some have origination fees, some disount your interest if you pay on time. I believe the lender has a fair degree of flexibility in the terms while still being a "Stafford" loan.

4. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Did you check the terms? Citibank is a private company, whereas Sallie Mae is an incorporated division of the government. (It's a weird relationship. It's affiliated with the federal government, but the federal government doesn't back their loans.)

5. nascentdoc

nascentdoc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

How is it significant if the lender is affiliated with the federal government or not? I'm trying to select a lender as well and I think T.H.E offers a good deal. I have no idea whether it's affiliated with the gov.

6. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    T.H.E. is not, and it really doesn't matter. Take the lender with the best UPFRONT terms. The backended terms tend to be useless since most students consolidate their loans and never reap the benefits.

7. meanderson

meanderson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So for a student who plans to borrrow abou 100k-110k in total stafford loans over 4 years and pay them back at a normal(or even an accelrated rate, what is the most program that makes the most sense to go with abd would be the most common choice?

8. tlew12778

tlew12778 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think there is a common choice. Most schools will ask which you prefer of two choices given bc they are the preferred lenders of the school (which might or might not mean it may be easier to work with lenders while in school and for your exit interview).

I think that you can chose ANY lender while you are in school bc the govt will be paying your interest on your sub. loans. Afterwards you'll want to consolidate and lock in your interest rate anyway so it won't matter who your lender is while you're still in school.

I always went with the non-private lenders. But I admit I did not do any research on private vs. non. When I needed to find a lender for my consolidation loans, Sallie Mae had a better interest rate than either Citibank or the Dept of Ed. The only benefit that Citibank offered me was an extra 1% discount bc I am already an account holder there (so they could transfer the funds out automatically every month). But SM made me the same offer so it didn't matter in the end.

9. critterbug

critterbug I like big buttz. No Lie!
    7+ Year Member

My school financial aid dept. told me that citibank offers no origination fees. Does anyone recommend them?

10. EarlyEditionDude

EarlyEditionDude Membership Revoked
    Removed

Citibank is good. They have no upfront fees like many of the other lenders. But what you should do is apply to other lenders and then compare each one.