Staggering primaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmoonp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven’t had a chance to prewrite any secondaries yet and my app willing likely be verified by Monday it seems. Because of this, I was thinking about staggering my primaries- sending it to a few schools one week, then a few more the next, etc so that I can have a decent turnaround time on secondary apps. Someone told me not to do this because it will be negatively looked upon but I don’t really understand why. My question is- is there any negative to doing this? I don’t want to get overwhelmed and I only have a few hours during the week and weekends to really sit down and write. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven’t had a chance to prewrite any secondaries yet and my app willing likely be verified by Monday it seems. Because of this, I was thinking about staggering my primaries- sending it to a few schools one week, then a few more the next, etc so that I can have a decent turnaround time on secondary apps. Someone told me not to do this because it will be negatively looked upon but I don’t really understand why. My question is- is there any negative to doing this? I don’t want to get overwhelmed and I only have a few hours during the week and weekends to really sit down and write. Any advice would be really appreciated!
When I was applying , I talked to several advisers , including one in nih who did it for several decades (retired when I was there). And everyone I ever talked to said that I needed to return all the secondaries within just a day or two from receiving them . Official requirement is 2 weeks, if I am not mistaken , but all the advisers said 2 days is ideal. They said that you want it to look like the school was your top choice . I don’t know if it is true or not , but i sent everything within 4-5 hours, and received way more interviews that I should have with my mediocre stats . I don’t know if it’s because of that or not .
I can empathize with you not having enough time , and of course it’s up to you , but I really don’t get how you can potentially risk it, after going so far. If I were you , I would stay up if I had to , and do them ASAP .
How many schools are you applying to ?

Reactions: 1 users
And the other aspect- the time is ticking .... and you are working against ppl who have been prewriting like crazy .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Some schools will take a few hours to send secondaries, others take a few months. You may send it to a few schools in week 1 and 2 them receive all secondaries during week 3.

I understand being busy but as @gonnif always says-applying to med school
is a full time job- or something like that. You have to figure out how to get a good turn around time on your secondaries. Some schools will send them to everyone and some screen. Some send them immediately and others take awhile. You might end up with a pile all at once no matter how you think you are pacing them.

@M&L Thanks for the advice! I'm applying to 25-30 schools. I haven't pre-written any secondaries but will definitely try to start. My app will be verified early next week and so with that what do you think would be the best course forward? I obviously wont have a short turn around time if i send my primaries to all my schools next week but I dont want to put myself at a greater disadvantage (then i probably already have). Thanks again for the input! @rdyotz @candbgirl @gonnif

@M&L Thanks for the advice! I'm applying to 25-30 schools. I haven't pre-written any secondaries but will definitely try to start. My app will be verified early next week and so with that what do you think would be the best course forward? I obviously wont have a short turn around time if i send my primaries to all my schools next week but I dont want to put myself at a greater disadvantage (then i probably already have). Thanks again for the input! @rdyotz @candbgirl @gonnif
well.... yeah.... first of all, you will be surprised how many essays you can recycle (a lot of schools ask the same questions). Just dont forget to proofread each essay to make sure you change school names, and such.

1) make a spreadsheet in excel, where you rank schools by your preference - from you top choice to your last choice. Columns could include "received secondary", "essays written", "essays sent", "all requirements completed", "received II", "followed up after interview", etc. In each cell i would put the date when it was completed. This way it will be easier for you to to keep track of things.
2) make a folder for each school on your computer, - save every essay you write. EVERY ESSAY. you will be amazing how much stuff you can recycle.
3) add your first 5 choices immediately, - top choices. i would add or two reach schools, but the rest should be realistic. For example, if you are from Virginia, put all the 3 state schools, and maybe one or two DC schools. So reach schools that are somewhat possible. But FRONTLOAD YOUR MORE LIKELY SCHOOLS THERE - such as your state schools, or places where you have ties/connections. Basically, schools that you think you have the highest chance of getting accepted.
4) As soon as you send out the primaries for those schools, go to the corresponding school forums, pull up the topics and start writing. and SAVE, SAVE, SAVE. As soon as your are done writing, - and i mean, try to complete 2-3 schools a day if you can., - add 5 more schools (even if you havent received the secondaries for the first 5 schools yet.). In the second batch add private low tier and mid tier schools that you might have higher chances at - places like Drexel, etc. Do the same, - write, save. Send out 5 more, - in the third batch i would add schools that are public but welcome out of states, such as vermont. You get the point.
5) as soon as you start getting the secondaries, ideally try to send them back within a day or two. WIth the system i explained, you should be able to.

@M&L Ah thank you so much! I'll definitely do this and catch up! I really appreciate the time and advice!

Secondaries come in staggered. Last year, I do not believe any schools sent secondaries the first week. There started to trickle out around the middle of July, with many not coming out until early-mid August. Obviously, COVID has changed things, so no clue if schools are on top of things right now.

I would advise against staggering your primaries. First, The timing of the receipt of your secondaries in many cases will not be tied to the timing of the submission of your primaries. There are definitely some schools that will send out secondaries immediately, but others will not. If you are diligent in prewriting your secondaries and in diving into the actual secondaries when you receive them, the process is manageable. Second, the timing of your submission of the primary matters, and you may lower your odds of receiving an interview if you wait too long.