Stand up comedy and time commitment in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigusDickus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, not sure how to start this besides talking about how I don't know how to start this so I'll just jump right in.

I do quite a bit of stand up comedy and find it incredibly relaxing and fulfilling when I'm not hitting the books and or in lab. I'm no rising star by any means, but I run my own show and do it quite regularly and would be somewhat distraught to have to let it go. That being said, I realize that medical school is a huge time commitment, and that I won't have nearly as much time on my hands as I do now - but exactly how much less time will I have?

Most shows tend to end around 11 to 12 at night, with my having to be at the venues by 9, so how would difficult would it be to schedule around them.
( I get that I may be thinking too far ahead and that this is obviously going to be extremely dependent on the medical school that (for some strange reason) accepts me and the comedy scene of the surrounding/close by city - but I'm finished with midterms and in this melatonin-induced, half-asleep stupor I'm desperate for an answer)

Members don't see this ad.

Awaiting link

Reactions: 9 users
Some people here will insist that medicine should be your only hobby. Others will tell you that medical school will be easier than undergrad. I'll tell you that your schedule is pretty flexible during years 1 and 2 if you are good at time management. Years 3 and 4 will require more time in the hospital with hours that vary depending on which rotation you're on. These change on a monthly basis, and therefore it may be hard to keep your stand-up schedule. People say year 4 is easier than year 3, but you have residency interviews to consider.

Keep your hobbies as much as possible, they will help you through this challenging time in your life, but recognize there are times where you might have to do open mic night rather than running your own show.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How often do you perform? Monthly? Weekly? Multiple times per week? If you just want to keep it up once or twice a month it shouldn't be an issue until 3rd year when your schedule may become inconsistent and excessively busy. You may be able to pull it off weekly if you can manage your time decently, but more than that is probably not very realistic in med school.

Alright, not sure how to start this besides talking about how I don't know how to start this so I'll just jump right in.

I do quite a bit of stand up comedy and find it incredibly relaxing and fulfilling when I'm not hitting the books and or in lab. I'm no rising star by any means, but I run my own show and do it quite regularly and would be somewhat distraught to have to let it go. That being said, I realize that medical school is a huge time commitment, and that I won't have nearly as much time on my hands as I do now - but exactly how much less time will I have?

Most shows tend to end around 11 to 12 at night, with my having to be at the venues by 9, so how would difficult would it be to schedule around them.
( I get that I may be thinking too far ahead and that this is obviously going to be extremely dependent on the medical school that (for some strange reason) accepts me and the comedy scene of the surrounding/close by city - but I'm finished with midterms and in this melatonin-induced, half-asleep stupor I'm desperate for an answer)

You know, one of my best friends is in medical school and he does stand up comedy on the side. He is actually really good and finds plenty of time (despite being in a school with a tough curriculum). I'm sure you'll have no problem.

He often performs at medical school events (like formal and parties and stuff).

I think you'll be fine!!

Reactions: 4 users
You know, one of my best friends is in medical school and he does stand up comedy on the side. He is actually really good and finds plenty of time (despite being in a school with a tough curriculum). I'm sure you'll have no problem.

He often performs at medical school events (like formal and parties and stuff).

I think you'll be fine!!

I wonder if I know the same guy IRL... (not at my school).

Having 3 hours a week to do something enjoyable seems realistic for medical school regardless of the curriculum.

Reactions: 5 users
This is something you'll have to figure out for yourself. Everyone is different, and some need to spend more time studying than others. But you have to make time for the things that are important to you, so if this is important to you, you'll figure it out.

Edit: and don't commit to anything for third year, some rotations require you to work nights and weekends.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s been done, and you can do it. I have a hobby that takes the same amount of time every other week, and while I don’t make it every single time, I do have time.

Third year is a different story as mentioned, but not every rotation is equally rigorous so it’s still possible.

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate all the thoughtful responses!

I actually don't expect to keep the show come my pending acceptance to Med school, but should the city be fortunate enough to have a decent comedy scene the presence of Open Mics would allow me to continue without having to make commitments too ahead of time.

I usually keep quite a tight schedule when it comes to studies and school related activities, but considering the vast difference in workload between pursuing a bachelors and an MD I wouldn't be surprised to have to make large adjustments to my lifestyle- stand up just happens to be a hobby that I find to be a far more entertaining way to spend a few free hours a night than watching a movie or playing video games, so having to let it go would be sad, but something I understood going into it in the first place.

It is a sad medical school where students do not have 3 hours/month free for fun whether it is a movie or an Open Mic or Settlers of Catan.

Reactions: 14 users
I wonder if I know the same guy IRL... (not at my school).

A mystery that will never be solved ;)

It is a sad medical school where students do not have 3 hours/month free for fun whether it is a movie or an Open Mic or Settlers of Catan.

There are a few schools that pride themselves on giving students time to practice their hobbies. It's too bad it isn't the norm.

Unless you are a master at time mgt., this can only be a recipe for disaster.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school should be considered a fulltime job with all day hours scheduled and evening assumed to be spend on studying. Do not assume that you will be able to to keep up with any stand up comedy gigs if accepted. Medical school is the priority requiring incredible time and focus commitment, so if you have concerns or worries that you cant keep up with comedy, then perhaps you should reconsider this path. You have to go in accepting the very real possibility that you will be unable to do any comedy at all for all of medical school and residency.

Lmao that’s absolutely ridiculous

Why is pointing out that people need to go in understanding the reality that may be somehow ridiculous? This OP had specfic and detailed idea of what he/she wants to do with comedy and needs to realize that may not pass? People need to go into this with eyes wide open and as the OP replied, he/she understands that

You just told him that there is a chance he may not be able to do ANY comedy over the next 7+ years as a medical student and resident because he will be too busy with his studying and training. That is absolutely ridiculous. You're telling me that he won't have 3 hours to himself, EVER, over the next 7+ years? He even acknowledged that he would be busy and says he just wants to be able to participate here and there in open mic nights. He may not be able to participate consistently, but he will definitely have time to participate in open mic nights if he makes it a priority and budgets his time properly.

Making sacrifices for medical school and cutting back how much time you spend doing your hobbies is understandable. To be honest with you, it's definitely not healthy to completely cut out all of your hobbies just because you are a medical student. I would venture to say that comedy may even help his performance in medical school because it would make him happy and provide a healthy outlet of stress. I truly am sorry for you if you don't have a few hours at least every month to participate in activities outside of medicine that make you happy. I would say that with better time management skills you would be would be able to free up a few hours here and there for yourself, and you would also probably be a happier person.

Why is pointing out that people need to go in understanding the reality that may be somehow ridiculous? This OP had specfic and detailed idea of what he/she wants to do with comedy and needs to realize that may not pass? People need to go into this with eyes wide open and as the OP replied, he/she understands that
I think comments from the wise LizzyM herself cast doubt on this reality. From my understanding, even some people with children have had success in medical school. Surely this is a larger commitment than an occasional stand-up comedy routine.

Reactions: 2 users
3 hours a month isn't the issue. The OP will need lots of time to write new material. It will be hard to find the time for that.

3 hours a month isn't the issue. The OP will need lots of time to write new material. It will be hard to find the time for that.
I'm sure the hospital will provide plenty of inspiration

I spoke with an orthopod PD about what a good applicant looks like. He mentioned SPECIFICALLY having something like this as a prominent hobby as a book that would get an II. (We actually spoke of my own thing, which is a similar niche entertainment gig)

In his words, he gets stacks of perfect grades and high boards with “multiple first-author publications,” and that the people he looks for have something interesting about them.

The II is gold. Once you have that, it’s all about “can I put up with this guy for years on end.”

Again, this was a PD for a highly-competitive surgical specialty who came and spoke at my undergrad (his Alma mater), and of his word means anything I think your standup would be just important on your CV as being “club chair” for whatever med school club you get into. (BTW, if OP has no time for standup, how do you explain the myriads of little clubs? Those all take time.....)

I spoke with an orthopod PD about what a good applicant looks like. He mentioned SPECIFICALLY having something like this as a prominent hobby as a book that would get an II. (We actually spoke of my own thing, which is a similar niche entertainment gig)

In his words, he gets stacks of perfect grades and high boards with “multiple first-author publications,” and that the people he looks for have something interesting about them.

The II is gold. Once you have that, it’s all about “can I put up with this guy for years on end.”

Again, this was a PD for a highly-competitive surgical specialty who came and spoke at my undergrad (his Alma mater), and of his word means anything I think your standup would be just important on your CV as being “club chair” for whatever med school club you get into. (BTW, if OP has no time for standup, how do you explain the myriads of little clubs? Those all take time.....)
This is all well and good, but there's a big difference between having a hobby, and doing the stand up as the OP envisions. As a medical educator who has seen student crash and burn because they tried to serve two masters, I can't advise OP to embark upon this.

This is a topic I'm fairly concerned about.

How can I make myself a good residency candidate if I have no time to do anything other than core classes? If OP can't have 3 hours on weekends to perform, how am I supposed to fit in a first-author pub into my work week?!

OP, this might be a good question to ask at interviews... do students have time for fun? Ask the current students if they have time for fun such as going out, going to a movie or a club, going on a date, etc. If they say they do not have 3 hours per month for such frivolity, run!

This is a topic I'm fairly concerned about.

How can I make myself a good residency candidate if I have no time to do anything other than core classes? If OP can't have 3 hours on weekends to perform, how am I supposed to fit in a first-author pub into my work week?!
Again, you have to be good at time mgt. And being on campus doing lab work is different than going out to comedy clubs....and you won't be doing research from 9-midnight on weekends either. If you are, there's something wrong with your science.

Ok perhaps a controversial take, but in pre-clinical so far I probably have more free time than I did in undergrad (P/F curriculum helps a lot). I find I spend about as much time in class/studying as when I was working full time (50ish hours a week--about half class, half studying), which mostly leaves my evenings and off weekends free. I joined a choir and go to rehearsals in the evening and have never had a problem with having to sacrifice rehearsal time or performances. And lest you think I'm unique, everyone I know is also pursuing hobbies and interest groups and going to fun talks and seminars or karaoke once a week.

Obviously there are lots of students (in this thread and on SDN) who have a very different experience and spend 100 hrs a week studying, so YMMV a ton. I think when you're picking schools its really important to ask students what they do for fun and how they spend their free time (or if they have it). Assuming you pick a school that tries to give you reasonable time to be a well rounded human being, I think you could reasonably continue to pursue standup comedy. That said, definitely give yourself some adjustment time at the beginning to feel out your workload before you start scheduling gigs and see if its doable.

Reactions: 3 users