Standard Deviation for gpa means

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, what are the standard deviations for all the GPA means that we see in MSAR/etc?

I'm a 3.5 (both bcpm and ao) and a 39, and I was wondering which is the greater deviation for some of the schools I'm applying to.

Members don't see this ad.

standart deviation means that most of the applicants falls within the range thye are giving. So if they list 3.5 with st.dev. 0.2, it mean that most of the people they accepted had GPAs between 3.3 and 3.7 Of course there are "outliers" which do not fall in this range but they must be assumed to be rare. That's how I understand this.

no no....i'm not asking what a standard dev is...i'm asking for the actual values of the standard devs (or, approximations)

Members don't see this ad :)
geno2568 said:
no no....i'm not asking what a standard dev is...i'm asking for the actual values of the standard devs (or, approximations)
bet they're not much more than .25

In a normal distribution, 1 standard deviation from the mean is about 68% of the total, 2 standard deviations is 95%, and I think 3 is about 99%. One of the only things i remember from stats.

A GPA of 3.3 sounds like it would be within 1 std. dev, a 3.0 would be about 95%, and I guess anyone under a 3.0 would be the few 2%-3% of matriculants. Sounds about right, would be nice to have some hard numbers though

legobikes said:
bet they're not much more than .25