standard LOR form for integrated programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgmd1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the ERAS website it has a link for a standard LOR form from the ACAPS. Is using this standard LOR form mandatory for integrated apps? Is it what most people use as their LOR's or do people still upload regular letters? Does anyone know from experience on the interview trail whether they really prefer the standard letter?

Lastly, the current one on the ERAS and ACAPS website is for the 2012-13 app cycle, does anyone know how to get one for the 2014 cycle? I am finishing up my PRS rotation soon and I want to ask for a letter asap.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

On the ERAS website it has a link for a standard LOR form from the ACAPS. Is using this standard LOR form mandatory for integrated apps? Is it what most people use as their LOR's or do people still upload regular letters? Does anyone know from experience on the interview trail whether they really prefer the standard letter?

Lastly, the current one on the ERAS and ACAPS website is for the 2012-13 app cycle, does anyone know how to get one for the 2014 cycle? I am finishing up my PRS rotation soon and I want to ask for a letter asap.

Thank you!

The ACAPS form can serve as a cover sheet for a full letter. It can also be a stand alone letter. It is up to your letter writers, but in either instance, the ACAPS form should be included.

As for the new form, it likely won't be available until ERAS opens for the upcoming app cycle. You can always check the ACAPS website to see if they have posted it.

I'm a little unclear about your situation, though. Are you finishing a plastics subi? If so, props for getting it done early. If it was just a week or two while on your surgery rotation, I'd ask if doing a full sub-I is desired. If you are doing a sub-I, I would ask them to draft a letter now and advise them that the new ACAPS form is forthcoming.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

I am finishing up a week while on my surgery rotation but I have been doing research with the department throughout the year and I figured the end of my week on plastics would be a good time to ask for a letter. It's still early though....

Last edited:

I am finishing up a week while on my surgery rotation but I have been doing research with the department throughout the year and I figured the end of my week on plastics would be a good time to ask for a letter. It's still early though....

I would highly recommend doing a sub-I with your home department before getting letters. While research interactions are important, especially as a MD/PhD applicant, the majority of programs are looking for comments on clinical performance. After all, it's a residency in surgery, not a post-doc in research. Having a chat with your chair about this would probably be best. I spent 2 weeks on service during my surgery clerkship and they preferred for me still to do a 4 week sub-I. There is a different emphasis on responsibility and interaction. At least there was for me. Best of luck!

It is never too early to get a letter, in fact some aways require letters before they will consider your application. Also consider getting individual letters as opposed to a departmental letter. If there are one or two plastic surgery faculty that you are really close with and will write a great letter for you then go for it. A personalized letter saying how dedicated you are to plastic surgery would probably look better than a departmental form letter stating they recommend you for plastic surgery, at least that is what I was always told.

As for the ACAPS letter, two of my writers had it as a cover sheet and two of them didn't submit it at all. I don't think it is a deal breaker if you don't have it, but it helps other programs filter through all the hyperbole that some writers use by giving them a more numerical way ( how your letter writer would rank you) to evaluate the letter.

Another thing to consider is the time it will take your letter writers to get it back to you. Some of my writers took upwards of 2-3 months to get the letter in. You don't want to be in a position where you have to rush your application.

In general, we like having the ACAPS survey/standard letter when possible. It's particularly useful when coming from a "known" academic plastic surgeon.