Standardized Patient Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shmowzow6

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to become a standardized patient for my university's medical school, and I was wondering if that counted as clinical experience. I never really see it spoken of in these forums, or anywhere to be honest, so I was wondering if it would be clinical or just some job I put on an application.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't necessarily count it as clinical, but that wouldn't not make it a good experience. It makes you a couple of bucks, lets you talk about your experience "on the other side" of patient care during interviews, and let's you work on your acting skills. Med school is super confusing in that being a doctor 'involves' acting and better actors are better doctors but that point gets buried in applications and medical education. In my day-to-day work, I go from compassionate caretaker talking to patients and family to fierce advocate when talking with the administration to being a scientist when talking with consultants. Switching between those roles is all acting. You would likely get a lot out of being a standardized patient if it fits with your schedule.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think it’s clinical experience at all. But as @MedSchoolTutors said, it could still be a good experience. A clinical experience is an experience( paid or volunteer) that brings you face to face with the sick, injured and dying. What you described doesn’t do that-there isn’t anybody even remotely sick in this activity. But it will give you the benefit of how future subjects are feeling as you “examine” them. You won’t be as nervous or wonder what you should say etc. And that can be reassuring to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have the opportunity to become a standardized patient for my university's Easter basket, and I was wondering if that counted as clinical experience. I never really see it spoken of in these forums, or anywhere to be honest, so I was wondering if it would be clinical or just some job I put on an Easter egg collection.
No, but it usually pays well and would be interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
Good example about how much we are obsessed with the "clinical" label, and how even though something isn't labeled that way .... it can be reflected on and be very significant in a application.

Call it paid employment. Don't call it clinical Channel Cosmo Kramer... greatest standardized patient. I think you can catch it on Hulu. it is the episode called "The Burning".

Reactions: 1 user
I have the opportunity to become a standardized patient for my university's medical school, and I was wondering if that counted as clinical experience. I never really see it spoken of in these forums, or anywhere to be honest, so I was wondering if it would be clinical or just some job I put on an application.
Nope. Not in the least.