Standardized Patients as part of USMLE?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by fiatslug, May 12, 2000.

1. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    When I interviewed at EVMS, part of the interview was the chance to work with a standardized patient. It was very cool. They said that by the time you graduate (I'm class of 2004), the standardized patient exam will be a part of the USMLE. Has anyone heard about this?

Eileen

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Carbon Klein

Carbon Klein Senior Member

I also interviewed at EVMS (Didn't the dean resemble Harry Stone, the judge from Night Court?) and I have heard that Step 2 will incorporate standardized patients, like the CSA/Clinical Skills Assessment tests that the foreign docs must pass to get a residency. I heard from EVMS only that the standardized patients will be the entire exam. From the rumor mills I heard that Standardized Patients will be only PART of Step 2 while the remainder of Step 2 will be written questions and answers,like the current set-up.

------------------
    My IMG Medical Residency Page

4. Carbon Klein

Carbon Klein Senior Member

5. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    The Step 2CS is here already, to begin in June 2004 for the class of 2005 (when you say Class of 2004, I assume you mean starting in 2004 as the Class of 2008). Yes, you will be required to take the Step 2 Clinical Skills exam. It will be held in five cities (Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, LA, Philadelphia) and comprise examining standardized patients. And, it's expensive ($975).

6. Machiavelli

Machiavelli Junior Member

And yes, that's only part of Step II. The other part is the multiple-choice exam, same as what has been given out in years past.

7. KyGrlDr2B

Anyone else wonder why a thread from 2000 was bumped up?? Strange.

8. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    That is weird. Didn't notice the date. Mysterious things are afoot...perhaps the ghost of the clinical skills exam yet-to-be.