Standardized Patients as part of USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiatslug

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I interviewed at EVMS, part of the interview was the chance to work with a standardized patient. It was very cool. They said that by the time you graduate (I'm class of 2004), the standardized patient exam will be a part of the USMLE. Has anyone heard about this?

Eileen

Members don't see this ad.

I also interviewed at EVMS (Didn't the dean resemble Harry Stone, the judge from Night Court?) and I have heard that Step 2 will incorporate standardized patients, like the CSA/Clinical Skills Assessment tests that the foreign docs must pass to get a residency. I heard from EVMS only that the standardized patients will be the entire exam. From the rumor mills I heard that Standardized Patients will be only PART of Step 2 while the remainder of Step 2 will be written questions and answers,like the current set-up.

------------------
My IMG Medical Residency Page

Carbon Klein said:
I also interviewed at EVMS (Didn't the dean resemble Harry Stone, the judge from Night Court?) and I have heard that Step 2 will incorporate standardized patients, like the CSA/Clinical Skills Assessment tests that the foreign docs must pass to get a residency. I heard from EVMS only that the standardized patients will be the entire exam. From the rumor mills I heard that Standardized Patients will be only PART of Step 2 while the remainder of Step 2 will be written questions and answers,like the current set-up.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Step 2CS is here already, to begin in June 2004 for the class of 2005 (when you say Class of 2004, I assume you mean starting in 2004 as the Class of 2008). Yes, you will be required to take the Step 2 Clinical Skills exam. It will be held in five cities (Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, LA, Philadelphia) and comprise examining standardized patients. And, it's expensive ($975).

And yes, that's only part of Step II. The other part is the multiple-choice exam, same as what has been given out in years past.

Anyone else wonder why a thread from 2000 was bumped up?? Strange.

That is weird. Didn't notice the date. Mysterious things are afoot...perhaps the ghost of the clinical skills exam yet-to-be.