Worst Doctor Experiences as a Patient/Family of Patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Teaching hospital.
Parent admitted for major cardiac surgery.
Surgery went over allotted time by 4-5 hours.
Attending surgeon explained vaguely in waiting room something about a mistake; they had to scrub into the operation and take over for residents.

Compounded by 2 days later at heavily sedated/unconscious parent's bedside during visiting hours.
Medschool's attending nephrologist along with one of their fellows or resident come by the foot of bed.
Doc sees patient's family member and proceeds to tell the fellow/resident at the foot of the bed kidneys are gone, not recoverable.

Shocked to overhear this new information for first time, patient's family member asks doctor what do you mean, is parent going to die?
Nephrologist gets deer in headlight look and remains silent, doc never attempts to explain their statements.
Eternity passed by before fellow/resident finally breaks the silence and tries to show the compassion that nephrologist could not/would not display.
Never saw nephrologist again for the nearly over half-a-year parent was in ICU and passed.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Was it a surgery problem or an anesthesia problem? Was it a mistake or a MISTAKE?

Uncertain/unknown. AKI is a complication of CABG and mitral valve replacement. From family's perspective, it's unfortunate yet understandable. Surgeon was contrite when meeting with family member after surgery.

Main issue was the nephrologist and how the family perceived his words/actions as callous. Have the decency to introduce yourself and fellow/resident to the patient's family member at bedside. Don't ignore family member at bedside and then proceed to speak frankly to fellow/resident at the foot of the patient's bed, and remain silent when asked by family member to explain.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s probably the only academic nephrologist on the planet that wouldn’t be delighted to talk about the kidneys.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I'd never say there is an allotted time for surgery. Surgery takes as long as it takes.

Patient was in the ICU for 6 months? That's a a long time

I am sorry this happened to you and your family. It is really unfortunate that sometimes we treat patients/families like furniture instead of people. We can all certainly do better at communicating, especially in difficult situations.

Reactions: 1 user
As I continue to residency and beyond I hope I never lose my humanity and my patients are just MRNs.

Reactions: 1 user
As I continue to residency and beyond I hope I never lose my humanity and my patients are just MRNs.
You’d think, but it’s hard not to feel like you’re unappreciated by the system. Callousness is the norm, even among the most empathetic. However, it’s different dealing with a patient who comes in with a BS complaint vs a crit care patient with a bum outcome.

You’d think, but it’s hard not to feel like you’re unappreciated by the system. Callousness is the norm, even among the most empathetic. However, it’s different dealing with a patient who comes in with a BS complaint vs a crit care patient with a bum outcome.
There’s also critical care patient with known poor prognosis that the medical team is made to do everything despite feeling like it’s futile. In some of these cases it’s hard not to feel a mix of feelings most of which aren’t good…

I'd never say there is an allotted time for surgery. Surgery takes as long as it takes.

Patient was in the ICU for 6 months? That's a a long time
People like a guess of how long the surgery will take. We usually have rough estimates and give the caveat that there’s a lot of extra time outside the surgical time before and after. Also with the caveat that everything goes perfectly, which isn’t guaranteed.

Some patients stay in the icu 6 months. As you can imagine, usually not a good outcome although there are some rare saves.