Standardized test scores for post bacc programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquishyMonster90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 25 year old non trad who recently made the decision to go premed. I had a 3.94 undergrad GPA. I won lots of awards and went to undergrad at VCU on a full ride as a music major (voice).

I'm training to become an EMT here in Atlanta and applying to schools to get my prereqs for Fall 2016. I'd like to apply to some upper tier post baccs like UVA or Johns Hopkins. I think my GPA is good enough, but the problem is that I really slacked off on my SATs in high school. A lot of post baccs seem to require some form of standardized test score. I got a 1790 on my SATs (or something like that). At the time, I figured that music schools really don't give two craps what your SAT scores are if you have a good audition. So I went into the SATs without studying at all and only took them once.

Will my SATs be good enough for places like the UVA post bacc or Johns Hopkins and other upper tier post baccs? Or should I study for/take the GRE and submit that instead?

Members don't see this ad.

Every post bac is a bit different. If you are concerned about your SAT scores, I would try contacting the admissions office. These programs are interested in admitting accomplished students who will be admitted into a medical school. Typically, they do this by picking individuals with a record of high academic achievement, which your GPA shows. They should be able to tell you if your SAT scores are sufficient to be competitive or if you should take the GRE. Make sure you are able to demonstrate your dedication to going to medical school (start volunteering before you apply to show this). Best of luck!

I just called UVA and they gave me a very vague non answer. "Oh we take the SAT, ACT or the GRE. If you aren't satisfied with your SAT scores, you are more than welcome to submit the GRE instead." So I guess that was their way off saying "you need take the GRE" lol.

If your heart is set on going to a formal post-bac program at UVA or Hopkins then you may as well take it to give yourself the best chance possible.

I just called UVA and they gave me a very vague non answer. "Oh we take the SAT, ACT or the GRE. If you aren't satisfied with your SAT scores, you are more than welcome to submit the GRE instead." So I guess that was their way off saying "you need take the GRE" lol.