Stanford...anything bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajneel1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey folks,
is there anything bad about stanford? what opinions do you have? it seems that people have strong opinions (positive and negative) on schools like Hopkins, UCSF, Wash U, etc. But does anybody have any strong opinions, insider info either positive or negative on Stanford????? I would be grateful if you shared!

Members don't see this ad.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

im going nuts waiting for that phone call. it's thursday night!!!!

some guy on interview feedback that interviewed "mid-jan." already got in. according to my deduction and after reading into his posts about when he heard/interviewed, i have deduced that he either interviewed on jan. 7 or jan.14. i interviewed on jan.16 and haven't heard yet. this means that they are going over my file either next week or RIGHT NOW!!! argh. sitting by my phone and begging it to ring like a middle school girl waiting for Bobby Stevenson to call and ask her to the junior high formal.

wont gabe call!!!

-have any of you guys heard of a person that interviewed jan.16 or later and heard?
-hey rajneel, how long after your interview did you get in?

I believe they recently dropped their whole hospice / end of life / palliative care system in favor of funding other programs. This is what I heard and personally I wasn't too impressed when I heard that. Stanford wants to be known as the place where people go to LIVE...not DIE....

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a Stanford undergrad and currently work on campus. My rejection letter from Stanford med came a while ago, but I'm excited for anyone who gets the chance to attend med school here!

I'll start with the bad aspect of Stanford -- housing prices are high, the Bay Area has a lot of traffic, and the facilities aren't the most up-to-date.

But there are sooooo many positive aspects. Stanford consistently ranks among the top two or three med schools in terms of student satisfaction. There is incredible financial aid, so your debt upon graduation will be lower than it would be at other schools. The weather is great. You can extend your schooling over five years to work on research, teach, and (maybe) work/study overseas.

PM me any questions!

Originally posted by AmateurChef:
• Stanford consistently ranks among the top two or three med schools in terms of student satisfaction. •••

What's your source for this? I'm just curious where I could see med schools ranked by student satisfaction.

It was in an article I saw about a year ago. I'll see if I can find it online...

so nothing incredibly terrible about stanford? so i can pick it over Hopkins and none will think i'm stupid?

Hey rajneel1,
Stanford's a great school and definitely has a lot of positive aspects. It is definitely one of the most laid-back environments I've ever been in when I visited a few times. Stanford is very research-intensive and many of the medical students go on into academic medicine or research after graduation.

I personally thought that living in Palo Alto would be kind of boring though--not a whole lot to do there. Of course the collegiate athletics are great--Stanford has many strong teams.

The medical school buildings are rather old and the facilities are in dire need of remodeling. They have started the process already, though it may take years.

Stanford is a very unique school and isn't for everyone, but I'd say if you would like to be in California in a rather laid back environment with a large degree of freedom in classes to take (i.e. business, law, undergraduate classes) in addition to the regular curriculum, then it may be for you.

I think the training in clinical medicine may be better at Hopkins, but at your stage (i.e. medical school) the difference may be marginal. Obviously, both are excellent schools and I think the bottom line is that you have to assess your goals and see which place fits you best. Good luck! :D

ok guys, stop stressing out so much. i was just at stanford yesterday (thurs), and was told specifically that the committee cancelled its meeting last night cuz garcia is out of town. so don't worry!!! =)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rajneel1:
•so nothing incredibly terrible about stanford? so i can pick it over Hopkins and none will think i'm stupid?•••••Hey Rajneel,
I'm a 5th year med student (on the 5-year plan) at Stanford, and my obviously biased opinion is that it is certainly not stupid to pick Stanford over Hopkins. The question is do you want to be miserable during med school, or do you want to enjoy life? :wink: (this is pretty tongue-in-cheek all you JHU fans!)

A lot of choosing med schools is based on personal preference, and I can't really tell you what your preference should be. Back in the day, I chose Stanford med over some other "more prestigious" East Coast med schools because of many personal reasons -- I thought the students were happier, I liked the idea that you don't have to drop your life and outside interests to be a med student, I love the area (I went to college in CA), and I was excited about the opportunities that would be available to me at Stanford. Now that I'm close to graduating, I'm happy that all of my initial impressions about Stanford were true, and I certainly do not feel like I'm at a disadvantage in my residency applications when compared to other "top ten" east coast schools. For example, in my class this year there are about 7 people going into ophtho (a huge number, and the specialty is highly competitive). The match was recently announced for that specialty, and everyone applying from Stanford got their 1st choice, which is practically unheard of for such a competitive specialty!

My point is that you will do well coming from Stanford or from Hopkins -- the question is how do you feel about the intangibles/your personal preferences?

Here are some of my thoughts about potential negatives about the school, since that is what you originally asked about. First, the question about Palo Alto sucking always comes up. Yes, Palo Alto does suck, and no, med students do not actually hang out in Palo Alto. Most people have this idea that since the med school is technically in Palo Alto, that we are limited to that small city for our social activities. In fact, there are at least 3 better cities that people hang out at which are all 10-15 minutes away from the med school (that is where everyone lives anyway -- no one actually lives in Palo Alto). In addition, the city of San Francisco is an easy 30 minute drive away, and the city of San Jose is about 20 minutes away. Granted, downtown San Jose doesn't have the mystique that SF does, but the city is undergoing a revival, and their downtown area is a hidden pearl.

I'd say the biggest complaint people have about Stanford is the facilities. There are plans to build a new medical school, but the new building will probably not be completed until you would be close to graduating. In the meantime, they are trying to do some patchwork fixes. For example, they are going to tear up the current student lounge and redesign a new one this summer. They also have the beautiful new anatomy labs, which were just built a couple of years ago. Those are just the fixes I know about.

Another thing about Stanford that you should know about is that if you have your heart set on primary care, it is probably not the best place to train. The school is very subspecialty-oriented, and very research oriented (although you could say the same thing about Hopkins). You do get an excellent mix of clinical training, because you actually do rotations at 5 different hospitals, only 2 of which are tertiary care centers (Stanford Hospital and Packard Children's). But even though you do get primary care training, primary care is not nearly as well supported as it is at most state medical schools.

I hope that helps! You can PM me if you have any other questions.