STANFORD c/o 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gyn2Be

Med student 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
STANFORD!!!
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if there's already a stanford 2013 thread, but I couldn't find one. I am trying to meet others who got in and will be coming to admit weekend in May 8th.
I had some questions about housing, finaid, etc.
Any others out there?

I :love: Stanford!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Still deciding, but almost positively going to be at admit weekend. Should be fun! We aren't able to apply for housing yet right? (Until after April 16th)

I just submitted my 2nd look registration form today. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you!

As the days go by I :love: Stanford more and more....

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
so we dont have to apply to housing yet?
Also for rooms that are 2 bedroom apts, do we have to pick a roommate or do they randomly assign us one?
anyone have any idea?
There aren't that many of us on SDN...I actually just discovered it 2 weeks ago which I guess its crazy.
Does anyone know how that email group list that is on the reference sheet of our acceptance package works?
cant wait to meet you all on May 8th.
Johana

does anyone know how to get on the email group list for accepted students that is mentioned in the acceptance letter?

I just submitted my 2nd look registration form today. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you!

As the days go by I :love: Stanford more and more....

:D

Did you receive any confirmation after submitting? Just wanted to make sure because I haven't.

I also don't know how the email list works but I haven't gotten any messages. Has anyone else?

Also, has anyone else had an issue getting their transcripts in? I have sent them twice through my school but the Admissions office said they didn't get them.

Did you receive any confirmation after submitting? Just wanted to make sure because I haven't.

I also don't know how the email list works but I haven't gotten any messages. Has anyone else?

Also, has anyone else had an issue getting their transcripts in? I have sent them twice through my school but the Admissions office said they didn't get them.

No I didn't receive any confirmation about 2nd look after submitting. Maybe I will call Johnnie tomorrow about it.

I haven't sent my transcripts yet because I'm lazy and don't feel like sending off all the transcript requests until I hear back from everywhere, at which point I will send all my transcripts to the schools I'm considering... That's good to know though...

Hi guys

Can you please tell me what is in the fat envelope ? Mine went to my home address and my parents have been out of the country for the past month and I have no idea what is in it. I will not get the envelope till April 19th. I want to make sure that I am not missing anything.

I know that second look is May 8th & 9th - are you guys going in on the 7th and returning on the 10th ?

What about housing ?

Please let me know.

Thanks a bunch

im getting there on the 7th and leaving the 9th. haven't heard about housing yet for admit weekend...finally got an email from the email group.

I think the most important things in the thick envelope are 2 response forms. 1 was to accept the acceptance and 2nd i guess to re-accept the acceptance and send a non refundable deposit.

I am coming on the 7th and leaving on the 9th as well. I will have to leave by noon on the 9th. Do you know what is scheduled for the 9th afternoon?

Is anyone planning to go to the Leadership in Health Disparities Early Matriculation Program over the summer?

I need housing info too! Looking forward to meeting you all on may 7th.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone planning to go to the Leadership in Health Disparities Early Matriculation Program over the summer?

I really wanted to do this. Wish I could have found out about this before i made vacation plans...sounds amazing though.

Has anyone tried the axess for the housing application? I got my SUNetID today and tried to logon to axess, all I got was a page with a link that send me to where I have started with a login button again. Is this the case for anyone else? Should I assume thing will change after April 22nd?

has anyone received their finaid package...what the biggest amount grant u can get? anyone know?
i know stanford gives some of those...

has anyone received their finaid package...what the biggest amount grant u can get? anyone know?
i know stanford gives some of those...

$30,000 for 3 quarters
$40,000 for 4 quarters

Just got the fat envelope today.. I didn't seem to find a second look weekend registration form. Did you guys have it in the folder? Did they say anything about a schedule or housing information for the weekend??

Also, I'm a little worried about getting a random roommate who won't be in med school. I have a few friends who are students there now and they have random roommates doing PhDs or masters in engineering. If any of you are for sure going to stanford and want to talk about possibly rooming together, send me a PM. I'm male and went to stanford for undergrad.

Has anyone tried the axess for the housing application? I got my SUNetID today and tried to logon to axess, all I got was a page with a link that send me to where I have started with a login button again. Is this the case for anyone else? Should I assume thing will change after April 22nd?

It will change after the 22nd.. it's a lottery system so registering as soon as the application comes out has no advantage

Just got the fat envelope today.. I didn't seem to find a second look weekend registration form. Did you guys have it in the folder? Did they say anything about a schedule or housing information for the weekend??

After you send in your acceptance letter Mr. Perez will e-mail you Admit Weekend information with a link to register. I think once the registration form is in they will match you with a current student and you will be notified.

By the way , you can send your acceptance letter by faxing it to them or by e-mailing the scanned letter.

$30,000 for 3 quarters
$40,000 for 4 quarters

Also, I'm a little worried about getting a random roommate who won't be in med school. I have a few friends who are students there now and they have random roommates doing PhDs or masters in engineering. If any of you are for sure going to stanford and want to talk about possibly rooming together, send me a PM. I'm male and went to stanford for undergrad.

I'm looking for possible roommate. Do you have to have the same top choice for residence in order to be match together?

Also has anyone send in the Intent to Matriculate letter yet? On the letter it requires to withdrawal all your other acceptances by writing. What if I have wrote the schools to withdrawal but haven't got the confirmation, can I still check YES on that?

Last edited:
Is that in the red letter ? I don't remember it but if you e-mail your withdraw letter to schools they will notify you within a day or two.

What choices are you putting down for housing ?
Mine are Munger, Lyman & Rains in that order.

I'm thinking about Lyman being my top choice since it seems to be the closet to the med campus.

I stayed in Lyman before my interview and it seemed really convenient. I'm also looking for a med student roommate. Has anyone filled out the housing application yet?

I stayed in Lyman before my interview and it seemed really convenient. I'm also looking for a med student roommate. Has anyone filled out the housing application yet?

I'm doing it tomorrow.

Someone should take advantage of the mailing list to match roommates. Perhaps via a shared google doc? Not it.

For housing, if two people want to end up as roomates, they must create a drawgroup and enter the draw together. The drawgroup will receive the same draw number with which to rank housing preferences (at least this was the way we did it during undergrad.. im not entire sure for grad housing..)

I liked Rains when I lived there temporarily during the summer. Haven't been to EV but that's where most grad students live. Rains and EV are both as far from the med school as you can possibly get and located on east campus. But a bike solves that problem. I stayed at Lyman during my interview and didn't like it as much - seemed a little threadbare and more dorm-like, but maybe that's just the room I stayed in. That said, Lyman is on west campus near the driving range/tennis courts (which have lights at night, a huge plus) and is within walking distance to the medical school. Munger is brand new and located at the heart of the campus. It looks SUPER nice but is a bit costly for me.

Right now my ranking is Lyman > Rains > EV > Munger. I submitted my application and put in the comments section that I would prefer to live with another 1st year med student. But I said "no" to being assigned to housings thats not on my rank list. if that doesn't work out I'll probably try to live off campus with some friends from undergrad.. but I heard that most med students live on campus, yes?

I'm looking for possible roommate. Do you have to have the same top choice for residence in order to be match together?

Yes. If you create a drawgroup, the members of that drawgroup should enter the same preferences in the same order on their respective applications.

Last edited:
Once you log into Axess, where is the link to apply for housing? I can't seem to find it... I hope they aren't trying to send me a hint ;)

Is that in the red letter ? I don't remember it but if you e-mail your withdraw letter to schools they will notify you within a day or two.

What choices are you putting down for housing ?
Mine are Munger, Lyman & Rains in that order.

Wooooah. Munger's finally done?! That construction's been going on forever...

Someone should take advantage of the mailing list to match roommates. Perhaps via a shared google doc? Not it.

I made a google spreadsheet for UCSF's c/o 2013 to find rooommates. It worked pretty well, about 40 people signed up and I already found my 3 house-mates!

So uh...even though I'm not even going to Stanford, I figure it would be Shemarty-like of me :laugh: to create your guys' spreadsheet, too.

Unfortunately, the only place for me to post this link is right here. So it's kinda public... (our link was posted through our facebook group) If one of you guys wants to use my template to make a more private spreadsheet, be my guest.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=r_ihmWs3sfnKk7KlLDI6LTw

Stanford love,
Shemarty

You said Lyman was walking distance from med school so it will be close to all the research labs as well and I like the fact that the driving range and tennis courts are lit in the night.

I wish the housing application was due after the admit weekend. I tried to search for photos of Lyman and could find only a couple from the Lyman website. Do you guys have any photos of the rooms that you can share ?

Facebook-friend some of the current students. Click through their pictures. Lots of parties are in Lyman!

Last edited:
Admits, before you commit the next 4,5,... number of years of your life to Stanford Med, you need to be aware of an important change.

On April 20th, Dean Pizzo announced a town hall meeting that the school will start putting grades in clinical years starting next year affecting even currently enrolled students. A lot of us chose Stanford because of the unique no grade system and are very frustrated that such a drastic change was done without any student input and completely insensitive to students who have already enrolled.

It should be noted that Stanford has not had grades for over 50 years, and until today, it's still one of the best medical schools in the nation with a awesome match result. Over the years, Stanford has defined itself through the community that it builds because people here collaborate rather than compete. This movement will surely erode that culture.

The worst part of this is that the decision was unilateral and students were only "notified." After the announcement, it was made clear that "students inputs are welcome although the decision will not be changed."

So if you're considering to come to Stanford, just be aware of the situation, because next year, they could very well decide that there will be grades starting pre-clinical years. We were told that students' inputs are taken seriously and we experienced the total opposite.

I can tell you personally that the no - grade system in no way made us worse students. We all still work hard. The difference is people are much more collaborative and much more willing to help each other. For those of you who think you can be all stars in med school, think twice because people come here from all walks of life. Some had a PhD in Biology... Good luck competing with them if you're straight out of college.

For those coming to admit weekend, I encourage you to ask many questions to the administration and the students. Just bear in mind that whatever the administration tells you can change at anytime, and we have experienced that. This was in no way a transparent process when Stanford always prided itself in transparency. Right now, you still have choices, so consider all factors when making your choice. Good luck!

Admits, before you commit the next 4,5,... number of years of your life to Stanford Med, you need to be aware of an important change.

On April 20th, Dean Pizzo announced a town hall meeting that the school will start putting grades in clinical years starting next year affecting even currently enrolled students. A lot of us chose Stanford because of the unique no grade system and are very frustrated that such a drastic change was done without any student input and completely insensitive to students who have already enrolled.

It should be noted that Stanford has not had grades for over 50 years, and until today, it's still one of the best medical schools in the nation with a awesome match result. Over the years, Stanford has defined itself through the community that it builds because people here collaborate rather than compete. This movement will surely erode that culture.

The worst part of this is that the decision was unilateral and students were only "notified." After the announcement, it was made clear that "students inputs are welcome although the decision will not be changed."

So if you're considering to come to Stanford, just be aware of the situation, because next year, they could very well decide that there will be grades starting pre-clinical years. We were told that students' inputs are taken seriously and we experienced the total opposite.

I can tell you personally that the no - grade system in no way made us worse students. We all still work hard. The difference is people are much more collaborative and much more willing to help each other. For those of you who think you can be all stars in med school, think twice because people come here from all walks of life. Some had a PhD in Biology... Good luck competing with them if you're straight out of college.

For those coming to admit weekend, I encourage you to ask many questions to the administration and the students. Just bear in mind that whatever the administration tells you can change at anytime, and we have experienced that. This was in no way a transparent process when Stanford always prided itself in transparency. Right now, you still have choices, so consider all factors when making your choice. Good luck!

Does other school use grade during clinical years? Personally I think grades are better than comments for clinical rotations.

Does other school use grade during clinical years? Personally I think grades are better than comments for clinical rotations.

Yeah I don't see what the big deal is. Literally every other medical school has grades in the clinical years (even Yale). And students will still get comments, which I've heard are the most important evaluation component for residency anyway. Who knows, maybe AAMC made Stanford do this.

• The clinical clerkship directors have been instructed to develop a new system of evaluating clinical performance to be implemented in the summer of 2010. This new evaluation system will apply to all students entering clinical rotations at that time --thus, it applies to our current first year students as well as to students who will be emerging from their research experiences to begin clinical rotations in the summer of 2010. I fully recognize that first year students and those in multi-year programs entered Stanford with a different expectation, but I view the changes as something that will help them become better physicians and that will enable them to receive feedback that is more meaningful to their career development.
  • Because we want to take the next year to refine the new evaluation system, it will not apply to students who will be entering clinical rotations in the summer of 2009, with some important caveats that I will comment on below.
  • The new evaluation system should assess knowledge and clinical performance based on objective measures (e.g., the shelf exam or its alternative) as well as evaluations by residents and attending physicians. Such assessments must include all domains of clinical performance -- from knowledge to professionalism and humanism. Further, those criteria need to be defined and shared with those doing the evaluations and ratings as well as with the students.
  • The new evaluation system will apply to required rotations in 2010. In future years they will be extended to elective rotations (including sub-internships), although I would hope that the criteria would be applied to electives, etc by 2011.
  • While the exact terms are yet to be defined, I instructed the clerkship directors to develop specific criteria for the following categories. I should quickly add that the actual terms can be changed -- these names are placeholders that are meant to capture the intent.
    • Exceptional performance
    • Satisfactory performance
    • Marginal performance
    • Unsatisfactory performance
  • As noted, initially these criteria will apply to only the required courses. The factors and metrics that define each category should have both common features across all clinical disciplines and also specific ones that are relevant to individual clinical rotations. The criteria for evaluating students will be made explicit to all students and faculty and should be readily accessible. They should also be made available at the beginning of each clinical rotation so that students understand the expectations and criteria by which they will be assessed.
  • There will be no preset curve or limit on the number or percentage of students who can receive an Exceptional Performance during a rotation or during a specific year. For example, if all the students on a specific rotation fulfill the criteria for Exceptional Performance, they will all receive that rating. If none fulfill the requirements then none will receive it. We will not predetermine how many students during any given year will receive an Exceptional Performance rating in any rotation. And we will work with faculty to guard against any tendency or bias to limit or "curve" student performance. In the end, the evaluations should follow the criteria that have been established.
  • Exceptional Performance should reflect accomplishments in all domains -- knowledge, professionalism, quality and service. Excelling in knowledge alone or in professionalism alone will not merit an Exceptional Performance -- it must reflect achievements in all areas.
  • As part of the new evaluation system, faculty and students will be counseled on expectations. This includes not only the criteria for performance but also the need for an evaluation discussion and feedback at the beginning, at mid-rotation and at the conclusion of each rotation. We will certainly pay attention to inter-rater reliability issues that apply to all evaluation systems. This is one of the reasons for using objective and defined criteria as well as knowledge metrics as part of the evaluation process
  • The clinical performance will be a part of the overall student assessment. Other components include the preclinical experiences (including the USMLE Part 1), research and scholarship, participation in joint degree programs (where appropriate), assessment by faculty advisors and mentors, and narrative summaries of performance. All of this information will be shared with residency directors as part of the student performance evaluation (including in the "dean's letter"). In doing so, we will also make residency directors aware of the changes we are making in the evaluation system at Stanford, to whom those changes apply and the time lines that are being employed. More specifically, we will share the specific criteria used to determine exceptional and satisfactory performance. Once we have this information, not sharing it would be dishonest and, in my opinion, inappropriate.
  • As noted above, the new evaluation system will commence in the summer of 2010 for required clinical rotations and over the next year(s) will be rolled out to include electives and sub-internships. Students who are mid-way in their clinical rotations (that is, they began in 2009 or are returning to clinical rotations after an out-year) will have the same evaluation system in required rotations taken after summer 2010 as students beginning rotations for the first time in 2010. However, we will not share the rating of Exceptional Performance to residency programs for students who have already completed a year of clinical rotations. That information will be for internal use but could help shape the comments used in the students "dean's letter".

• The clinical clerkship directors have been instructed to develop a new system of evaluating clinical performance to be implemented in the summer of 2010. This new evaluation system will apply to all students entering clinical rotations at that time --thus, it applies to our current first year students as well as to students who will be emerging from their research experiences to begin clinical rotations in the summer of 2010. I fully recognize that first year students and those in multi-year programs entered Stanford with a different expectation, but I view the changes as something that will help them become better physicians and that will enable them to receive feedback that is more meaningful to their career development.
  • Because we want to take the next year to refine the new evaluation system, it will not apply to students who will be entering clinical rotations in the summer of 2009, with some important caveats that I will comment on below.
  • The new evaluation system should assess knowledge and clinical performance based on objective measures (e.g., the shelf exam or its alternative) as well as evaluations by residents and attending physicians. Such assessments must include all domains of clinical performance -- from knowledge to professionalism and humanism. Further, those criteria need to be defined and shared with those doing the evaluations and ratings as well as with the students.
  • The new evaluation system will apply to required rotations in 2010. In future years they will be extended to elective rotations (including sub-internships), although I would hope that the criteria would be applied to electives, etc by 2011.
  • While the exact terms are yet to be defined, I instructed the clerkship directors to develop specific criteria for the following categories. I should quickly add that the actual terms can be changed -- these names are placeholders that are meant to capture the intent.
    • Exceptional performance
    • Satisfactory performance
    • Marginal performance
    • Unsatisfactory performance
  • As noted, initially these criteria will apply to only the required courses. The factors and metrics that define each category should have both common features across all clinical disciplines and also specific ones that are relevant to individual clinical rotations. The criteria for evaluating students will be made explicit to all students and faculty and should be readily accessible. They should also be made available at the beginning of each clinical rotation so that students understand the expectations and criteria by which they will be assessed.
  • There will be no preset curve or limit on the number or percentage of students who can receive an Exceptional Performance during a rotation or during a specific year. For example, if all the students on a specific rotation fulfill the criteria for Exceptional Performance, they will all receive that rating. If none fulfill the requirements then none will receive it. We will not predetermine how many students during any given year will receive an Exceptional Performance rating in any rotation. And we will work with faculty to guard against any tendency or bias to limit or "curve" student performance. In the end, the evaluations should follow the criteria that have been established.
  • Exceptional Performance should reflect accomplishments in all domains -- knowledge, professionalism, quality and service. Excelling in knowledge alone or in professionalism alone will not merit an Exceptional Performance -- it must reflect achievements in all areas.
  • As part of the new evaluation system, faculty and students will be counseled on expectations. This includes not only the criteria for performance but also the need for an evaluation discussion and feedback at the beginning, at mid-rotation and at the conclusion of each rotation. We will certainly pay attention to inter-rater reliability issues that apply to all evaluation systems. This is one of the reasons for using objective and defined criteria as well as knowledge metrics as part of the evaluation process
  • The clinical performance will be a part of the overall student assessment. Other components include the preclinical experiences (including the USMLE Part 1), research and scholarship, participation in joint degree programs (where appropriate), assessment by faculty advisors and mentors, and narrative summaries of performance. All of this information will be shared with residency directors as part of the student performance evaluation (including in the "dean's letter"). In doing so, we will also make residency directors aware of the changes we are making in the evaluation system at Stanford, to whom those changes apply and the time lines that are being employed. More specifically, we will share the specific criteria used to determine exceptional and satisfactory performance. Once we have this information, not sharing it would be dishonest and, in my opinion, inappropriate.
  • As noted above, the new evaluation system will commence in the summer of 2010 for required clinical rotations and over the next year(s) will be rolled out to include electives and sub-internships. Students who are mid-way in their clinical rotations (that is, they began in 2009 or are returning to clinical rotations after an out-year) will have the same evaluation system in required rotations taken after summer 2010 as students beginning rotations for the first time in 2010. However, we will not share the rating of Exceptional Performance to residency programs for students who have already completed a year of clinical rotations. That information will be for internal use but could help shape the comments used in the students "dean's letter".

Electives as well? wow

Its not even on a curve, so I don't know why it even matters. As long as you exceptional work, you get the "exceptional" grade. Its not like only the top ___% of students can get the top grade.

Its not even on a curve, so I don't know why it even matters. As long as you exceptional work, you get the "exceptional" grade. Its not like only the top ___% of students can get the top grade.

I think the issue might be before with P/F everyone pretty much get the same grade (P) even though the amount of efforts people put in can have a very large standard deviation. Now with the new grading system, that spread has been significantly reduced.

I think the issue might be before with P/F everyone pretty much get the same grade (P) even though the amount of efforts people put in can have a very large standard deviation. Now with the new grading system, that spread has been significantly reduced.

Right - and that's not a bad thing, is it? Now, everybody will work a little bit harder during their clerkships, and graduate as a stronger clinician.

It's not going to add any extra competition since it's not "on a curve," but it will encourage each student to do the best he/she can in every clerkship.

I can see why the current students would be incredibly upset that their opinions weren't considered, though. :(

Get pumped for Friday !!! :love:

looking forward to meeting you all. whats the dress code for 2nd look ...casual? I can't wait to make my decision official! this is my last 2nd look :love:

Has anyone gotten any reply from the 2009 class email list? I sent an email but haven't heard anything.

Hi guys

I will not be there this weekend. Please let me know how it goes and give me the details.

Have fun

Dearest admitted students,

You should have by now received an email from the Stanford Deans
describing the changes in Stanford's clinical evaluation system. We
hope these changes positively affect our training, clarify clinical
expectations, and help us become better doctors.

The administration is working hard with the students to make this process as transparent as possible. We are confident our system will be different from those at other schools and in-line with the unique non-competitive and collegial Stanford culture. Of note, these changes will certainly not impact the pre-clinical, 'Pass/Fail' grading system.

We welcome the opportunity to talk with you about this further and encourage you to contact the student leaders who are intimately working with the administration on this issue to receive the most up-to-date information.
http://smsa.stanford.edu/about/current_officers.html

We hope you are enjoying admit weekend. Good luck in this decision. We hope to see you in August if not sooner.

Regards,

SMSA

Dear Prospective Students,

We are looking forward to your attending Stanford Medical School and hope to see you at Admit Weekend. I have attached a message from Deans Charles Prober and Gabriel Garcia concerning changes to the Clerkship Evaluation System.

Please feel free to bring any questions you have to Admit Weekend or contact Deans Charles Prober and Gabriel Garcia.

Sincerely yours,

How was 2nd look weekend?

"Hi!" to the handful of lurkers I randomly met today :D

on admit weekend

(1) How are the dorms ?

(2) How are the med students ?

(3) How was the party ?

(4) What was the best part ?

Thanks a bunch