Stanford PM&R PD change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportsMed09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking up Stanford on FREIDA, and it looks like they might have a new PD, since I kept hearing how there was a female one (her name escapes me at the moment), but now it's listed as Dr. Teraoka. Just wondering if people knew how this came about, if it's good/bad, and what changes can be expected in the curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

This is old news. Dr. Teraoka has been the program director for over a year now. He is excellent and very well liked by the residents.

Fair enough; still wondering what things have/will change as a result.

Members don't see this ad :)
There have been numerous changes in the last year, all of them positive. Is there anything specific you're interested in?

Inclusion of more outpatient rotations (since people had posted complaints of having heavy inpatient experiences); changes in call schedules; change in other faculty in inpatient facilities who were less abrasive than previously; changes in didactics.

Outpatient rotations: Due to the Stanford inpt rehab unit closing, there have been less inpt rotations. I think most residents do 1-1.5 years of inpt and the rest is outpt. I think that's a good balance. I'm a PGY4 and my year consists of 2 months (easy) inpt and the rest outpt.

Call schedule: No changes, although I didn't think there were any major issues with it before. The call at Valley can be a pain, but the North campus call is generally really easy.

Faculty: In the last year, there have been several new faculty members and they are all really good... very interested in teaching and not completely resident-dependent.

Didactics: Increased from two hours once a week to an entire morning once a week. Also has tried to include some hands-on aspects, like getting in the gym for hands-on teaching from PTs. Good stuff.