Stanford Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackberry13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone that has had some strong experiences with this program? (residents, med. students, etc.) I really would love to go here for my residency and would love any advice I could get on any inside information about this program. Feel free to PM me if that is easier. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering this program as well and would love more opinions.

My big concern about the program was the reservedness of the residents on my interview day. Everyone was very nice, but not super enthusiastic about their program, compared with what I judged at other programs. When I would ask why they chose the program, the universal answer was location. (Which is fine but is not program related.)

I'm not sure if this is just a cultural thing where everyone is a little more mellow/quiet or if this is a red flag.

Any thoughts from current residents or other people that interviewed there?

This is all second-hand, but I have a friend / colleague who is an LCSW in Fresno -- who has contact with some of the residents from Stanford -- since some of them do a rotation in a facility she works at.

When I told her I was considering psychiatry, she cringed. Based on her experiences with the Stanford residents, she considered them to be competent med prescribers, but insufficiently trained therapy-wise.

However, this may be par for the course in psych residency programs, with the exception of the few holdouts in New York / Boston.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else with any thoughts on Stanford?

I found the residents a bit lukewarm about the program and none of my interviewees had read my application, which bothered me a lot. That said, the facilities seemed fine and I'm sure you'd get a good training there. It seemed most of their graduates went on to work in the private arena, particularly in the bay area where they tended to open up private practices with a very affluent patient base. If that is your thing, then it is probably a great program as they really set you up for that, even giving you some training on how to start a private practice.