Stanford Secondary online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got an email for the stanford secondary or supplemental application today. I filled it out but it seems it doesn't want very much information. It has very little info it wants and then it has one page limited to 25 lines to add stuff that makes you unique. I just am using one of my other essays b/c I am lazy. I am surprised b/c I thought stanford's app was a B$tch to fill out..that's what I had heard before? Is this just a preliminary app to a longer one? Has anyone else tried this and just I haven't found the other essays? It seems really short! So I am happy if that's the case! We lucked out this year!

Members don't see this ad.

I ran into one of the Stanford admissions officers the other day, and we discussed Stanford's secondary for a bit. She said that they have shortened the secondary due to lots of changes that AMCAS has made this year (including, but not limited to, the addition of the vision essay). When she told me that, I thought that the secondary was going to be like 8 pages instead of 10 -- I didn't realize that they were going to cut it down *that* much!

I can also assure you -- there is no preliminary app to a longer one -- the one you got is the only application. That's great for you guys, because it really was a pain to fill out. It's great for the students and faculty who do admissions work at Stanford, too, because it takes *forever* to review those long applications!

Do you know if Stanford screens before they send out secondaries?
Thanks!
Yep, so only ONE ESSAY! And it's something that is just totally general. So I just chose my essay about one of my EC's and wrote about that ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
As of 1999, the information I have on Stanford is "Approximately 50% of AMCAS applicants are asked to submit supplementary material. Requests are made on a rolling basis, with information due within two to four weeks. Students who do not receive a secondary are notified they are being rejected beginning in August. [That time line obviously does not apply this year with the AMCAS application delays]. Stanford says it does not ask students where else they are applying.

Arg. I didn't get Mich or Stanford e-mails, and I applied to both. How could they be screening, though, if they don't have anything to screen??!! So far as I know, AMCAS hasn't sent anything of mine out (my grades aren't even listed as verified), and I haven't sent copies to either of them. Neither asked you guys for AMCAS? Has AMCAS verified the grades of those people who are receiving these (Mich and Stan.) e-mails?

The admissions officer at Stanford that I talked with said that they were waiting until they receive official applications before they started looking at them and sending out invitations to fill out their secondary. The fact that ScoobyDoo got an invite means that AMCAS has transmitted at least *some* applications. Don't lose hope, though -- they have probably just started sifting through AMCAS apps.

They do screen, though. I thought that they send out secondaries to about a third of AMCAS applicants. Maybe it is half...

grasshopper,

I know how you feel. I applied to both also and have heard nothing. It freaks me out,because once my app. is processed and I hear nothing I immediately will think I have been rejected. I just need to get my mind off of this.

You know, though, sundevil, if we're this anxious about the slim possibility that we might have already been cut out of one of our schools (in my case neither is my all-time top choice, though Stanford seems awesome . . ), we're pretty likely to have two really devastating years. I've never heard of anybody never seeing one rejection letter in the process. :) We should order our Zoloft now, eh? Seriously, though, I'm 99.8% sure that AMCAS hasn't given my app to anyone (no verified grades), and you can't be rejected if all they know is your e-mail address. So we're not worried. Right? (You'd better let me know if you get either of those e-mails today. ;) )

well grasshopper at least I don't think I should worry about getting either of those emails soon. I just talked to amcas and they said it could be four to six weeks from the time my last transcript was received before I am processed. I had to resend one transcript because the first one did not make it and they did not receive the second try until JUly 24! It could be a while so I better forget about it. :( Good luck to you, it seems we could all use a little of that.

Relax guys. I think I only got lucky and happened to get my application sent to them quickly. Maybe b/c I am a CA resident or something..who knows? I submitted my app on july 1st. So I don't know if you guys submitted earlier than that...

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•Relax guys. I think I only got lucky and happened to get my application sent to them quickly. Maybe b/c I am a CA resident or something..who knows? I submitted my app on july 1st. So I don't know if you guys submitted earlier than that...•

Nope. I'm a California resident and submitted mine on June 26th. I still don't have any transcript verification and this news of having to wait 4-6 weeks from receipt of your last transcript sounds fishy.

Does anyone think that having 86 courses for them to verify would be a hurdle?

Andrew

Everybody's always told me that getting into med school was mostly just good luck (about 75% in jest, I think). I didn't realize completing your application was as well! Oh well, I'll start working on the questions anyway. Thanks for posting 'em (it's another thread with Stan's and Mich's, in case others are looking).

Hey guys,
Just saw one of the Stanford admissions officers again today -- she said that Stanford has only processed less than 20 AMCAS applications so far. They've received about 90 official apps electronically transmitted from AMCAS. As a comparison, she said that normally Stanford would have gotten 1,200 AMCAS apps by this time of year...

Originally posted by ajm:
•Hey guys,
Just saw one of the Stanford admissions officers again today -- she said that Stanford has only processed less than 20 AMCAS applications so far. They've received about 90 official apps electronically transmitted from AMCAS. As a comparison, she said that normally Stanford would have gotten 1,200 AMCAS apps by this time of year...•

Well, at least their transmission process is working now.