Stanford Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microTAS

ulna you didn't
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering what other current/past applicants thought about the Stanford Q on their new scholarly concentration requirement. It seems like it overlaps 100% w/ MSTP, at least if you choose the same concentration. I suppose you can try out a different field and try to relate it to your main research.

"In 2003, the Stanford School of Medicine implemented a new curriculum to better integrate the scientific basis of medicine with clinical practice. A key element of this curriculum is a requirement for in-depth didactic and scholarly activities through participation in a scholarly concentration of your choice. Details of the curriculum and scholarly concentrations are available at http://med.stanford.edu/md/curriculum, which we ask you to review prior to answering the last essay questions.

c. How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals?
"

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Although I am not applying MSTP (since I am finishing up my PhD now), I talked about my interest in their new scholarly concentration targeted at clinical research. I think that for anyone who is trained in basic science/translational research, the new program presents the opportunity to learn more about bringing research "from bench to bedside."

I think this is a unique opportunity at Stanford for MSTP students.

:) Treg

microTAS said:
Just wondering what other current/past applicants thought about the Stanford Q on their new scholarly concentration requirement. It seems like it overlaps 100% w/ MSTP, at least if you choose the same concentration. I suppose you can try out a different field and try to relate it to your main research.

So microTAS, or anyone else who is familiar with the scholarly concentrations, how should we address this question on the secondary? Do MSTP students have to do the scholarly concentration in addition to the PhD? This seems like it would be an obvious concern for MSTP applicants, but I can't seem to find anything on their website regarding this.

thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm no expert, but I believe you do need to do the scholarly concentration. As for addressing it, I'd pick out the concentrations you're interested in and say why you like them. The clinical research route has its appeal for MSTP.

Thanks microTAS, that sounds like some good advice :thumbup:

I emailed the Stanford Admissions Office and this is what they wrote back:

MSTP students do not do a scholarly concentration. (You will be doing scholarly work within the program.)

Best Regards.

Stanford MD Admissions

DOH! man i must really have sounded like a clueless dope....

wisteria318 said:

MSTP students do not do a scholarly concentration. (You will be doing scholarly work within the program.)

Best Regards.

Stanford MD Admissions

so then why do we still have to answer this question? Or do we just leave it blank and say that we would do this as part of the PhD? What did you guys end up doing?

wisteria318 said:

Best Regards.

Stanford MD Admissions

Doh!