Stanford vs. UCSF (both great)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hector

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The intent of this post is not to start a useless flame war but to provide a semi-informed personal opinion about this legitimate and difficult comparison facing many candidates considering West Coast pathology programs. I trained at Stanford for AP/CP and a general surgical pathology fellowship. Dr. Galli and Abbas are both friends from Harvard and admonishes any graduate from maligning the other program (or any program for that matter). Furthermore, the faculty have a good relationship and there is significant cross pollination with faculty appointments and fellowships.

With that in mind, are there any generalizations comparing the two programs that most people would agree with? Here are my opinions just for fun.

1. General surgical pathology ==> Stanford.
Dr. Kempson is one of the greatest living surgical pathologists. He is personally responsible for the consult service three months of the year and he comes in nearly every day to weigh-in on difficult cases. The department's core strengths are in gynecologic, breast, and soft tissue pathology. Dr. Kempson has trained scores of high level pathologists across the country. Dr. Kempson, Sibley, Hendrickson, Berry, Longacre, and others have strong relations and swing with other nationally-recognized pathologists. (That's how jobs happen.) In my opinion, other comparable places for general surgical pathology training are all East, such as MGH, BWH, JHU. UCSF is also highly regarded, but the legacy is not as strong. Dr. Zaloudek (who trained at Stanford) is a well known gynecologic pathologist. While Stanford has excellent liver pathologists, Dr. Ferrell is still the premiere liver guru in the area.

2. Hemepath ==> Stanford.
Dr. Dorfman is retired now, but Drs. Warnke, Arber, Natkunam, and Atwater make lymph node, bone marrow, and flow training top notch. The program has a legacy of training numerous high level hematopathologists across the country. In my opinion, other comparable places for hemepath training are also East, such as MGH, Chicago, NCI.

3. Molecular, cytogenetics, biochemical genetics ==> Stanford.
Just come visit. The scope of the operation and the facilities are breath-taking. Stanford has a leading molecular virology lab, performs the state's newborn screening (including CF), has a state of the art HLA lab, and more. The strength in molecular pathology also helps maintain the lead in hemepath.

4. Overal CP training ==> Tie.
UCSF has a longer running CP program, but Stanford's CP is one of their best kept secrets. Over the last ten years they have built up to program to what I think is among the best in the nation. UCSF has many great assets for their CP training, such as the Blood Centers of the Pacific and Dr. Toy. But Stanford also operates their own in-house collection and distribution operation.

5. Cytopathology ==> UCSF.
There is no question of Britt-Marie Ljung's influence on West Coast cytopathology. Stanford's best cyto faculty are trained by her. Most programs would have to acknowledge UCSF's dominance in this area. Historically, many gung-ho Stanford residents have gone up to UCSF for cytopathology fellowship, just like many gung-ho UCSF residents have come down to Stanford for general surgical pathology or hematopathology fellowships.

6. Dermatopathology ==> UCSF.
The exploits and fame of Drs. Leboit, McCalmont, and Bastian are well-known. Stanford had a strong program lead by Dr. Kohler, but with her passing the program is greatly diminished (in my opinion). While cutaneous lymphoma remains uniquely strong at Stanford, overall I think most programs would have to acknowledge UCSF's dominance in this area.

7. Oral pathology ==> UCSF.
There is no way Stanford can compete here. UCSF has a world class dental school and although Dr. Regezi is retired, his legacy continues to make UCSF the gold-standard oral pathology consult (in my opinion).

8. Non-medical academic life ==> Stanford.
Although UCSF is the premiere medical facility of the UC system, it doesn't have it's own undergraduate campus. Stanford Hospital is integrated with a top notch undergraduate university, medical school, law school, business school, many graduate schools, etc. Many residents come with spouses who are able to find positions as graduate students, post-docs, or faculty in education, social sciences, physics, genetics, mechanical engineering, etc. Stanford is very amenable to these couples "arrangements".

9. Raising a family ==> Stanford.
Palo Alto has a unique K-12 education system entirely enclosed within the city limits. Every school in Palo Alto is excellent and every school has on-site after school care. Parents in San Francisco can explain the frustration of the public school system, the disparity in quality, etc. Palo Alto is a dense suburban neighborhood with safe accessible libraries, parks, wetlands, and foothills. Kids bicycle to school (and adults too). There are homeless people and mentally ill people, but there are probably more of them in one city block South of Market (in SF) than in all of Palo Alto.

10. Living as a single person or childless couple ==> UCSF.
San Francisco is a world class city. Sometimes it is bursting with self-importance but nevertheless it is beautiful, cosmopolitan, diverse, and bustling. If you are a young urban professional who is from NYC, Chicago, Toronto, etc, you will be bored in Palo Alto. If you expect world class sushi, you won't find it in Palo Alto. Good luck finding Ethiopian food either, or even a decent Vietnamese sandwich. Even if there was an Ethiopian restaurant in Palo Alto (which there isn't) it will close by 9:30pm. All the single people at Stanford went with their friends to "the city" for fun. All of the married people (especially if they had kids) were too tired and almost never went to "the city" even though it was only 40 min. away.

That's all I have time for, but I hope this was entertaining without ruffling too many feathers. You'll be lucky to do any part of your training at Stanford or UCSF. Come have a look and see for yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with pretty much all of the above and would be so so so thrilled if I can land at either program, except... I only got interview invite from UCSF:D. I can't wait to get back to the West Coast, so SF is a complete personal preference.

I did hear that surgical path is stronger at Stanford. Didn't realize CP training is stronger at Stanford, though. I always thought UCSF has the dominance in CP.

I might disagree a bit about non-medical academic life. UCSF is extremely strong in biomedical research AND is continuously recruiting more faculty + expanding its research facility.

How would you compare private practice opportunity for graduates from the two training programs? I heard that UCSF benefit from the huge alumni network in the bay area and graduates have done really well historically. How about Stanford?

Last edited:
This may be a relevant question to post here. I am debating b/Stanford vs UCSF as my #1. Here's the lifestyle question. Both offer PGY-1 salary at $60,000. Comparing living expense between Palo Alto and SF, where can you live more comfortably at this salary level? Couple without kids, spouse working, prefer living close to the hospital. pls don't make this into a urban vs suburban definition thread. No preference for me, just want some nice weather.

Interestingly, these 2 programs offer probably the highest PGY-1 salary after supplements. Yet, compared to say Boston/LA, rent in Palo Alto-SF is similar, maybe even less if ur looking at areas close to the hospitals!! Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a relevant question to post here. I am debating b/Stanford vs UCSF as my #1. Here's the lifestyle question. Both offer PGY-1 salary at $60,000. Comparing living expense between Palo Alto and SF, where can you live more comfortably at this salary level? Couple without kids, spouse working, prefer living close to the hospital. pls don't make this into a urban vs suburban definition thread. No preference for me, just want some nice weather.

Interestingly, these 2 programs offer probably the highest PGY-1 salary after supplements. Yet, compared to say Boston/LA, rent in Palo Alto-SF is similar, maybe even less if ur looking at areas close to the hospitals!! Any thoughts?

I think Palo Alto is probably less expensive than SF, and I thought Stanford gave you a larger housing stipend too? I could be way off, but that was my impression.

I think in the end though, the amount of money you get and the amount you pay to live in PA vs SF is not going to be all that different. I think it'd be hard to make the decision based on that.

If you want good weather though, Palo Alto is significantly nicer!

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."
--Mark Twain.

You can live in the Inner Sunset, Cole Valley, or Haight-Ashbury and easily walk to UCSF. You can live in outer Sunset, Mission, Castro, Duboce Triangle, Hayes Valley and have an easy Muni train ride to work. Plus there are a Kajillion things to do in those neighborhoods within walking distance

San Jose/Palo Alto and the peninsula require auto travel on congested streets and high ways to get around.

Also if you do have kids, life in the city is far better environment to raise them in. There is so much more to do. Exploratorium, Golden Gate Park, Cal science museum, DeYoung, Legion of Honor, Walks in Chrissy Field, Hustle and Bustle of Union Square, Street Fairs, bike rides into Marin.

You can live in the Inner Sunset, Cole Valley, or Haight-Ashbury and easily walk to UCSF. You can live in outer Sunset, Mission, Castro, Duboce Triangle, Hayes Valley and have an easy Muni train ride to work. Plus there are a Kajillion things to do in those neighborhoods within walking distance

San Jose/Palo Alto and the peninsula require auto travel on congested streets and high ways to get around.

Also if you do have kids, life in the city is far better environment to raise them in. There is so much more to do. Exploratorium, Golden Gate Park, Cal science museum, DeYoung, Legion of Honor, Walks in Chrissy Field, Hustle and Bustle of Union Square, Street Fairs, bike rides into Marin.

I completely agree, San Francisco is more desirable to me too, but that is based on the fact that it is urban...

the poster wanted to know where you could get the most bang for buck and where the weather was nicest. for those two things, I think it is probably palo alto.

I completely agree, San Francisco is more desirable to me too, but that is based on the fact that it is urban...

the poster wanted to know where you could get the most bang for buck and where the weather was nicest. for those two things, I think it is probably palo alto.

Cost of living is similar if you ask me, but the peninsula is definitely warmer on average in the summer time.

thanks for all the comments! I'm indeed looking for the biggest bang for the buck. Just checked and pathcrazed is right. UCSF with its housing supplement comes up to be $58600, and stanford with its housing supplement of $8400, 1-time moving expense of $3000, comes up to be a little over $60,000. Both :thumbup:.

Given similar salary & living expense, I might be inclined to go for UCSF given the fun things to do. Guess I've got 1 more day. Winter months in SF is still quite warm for me.

Last edited:
Ok ok, Uncle ... I give ... Hector is right and Stanford is clearly better ... can the anonymous personal attacks stop now?

I will leave the first part, which should have made it clear that I was responding to Hector's bias with more ridiculous bias, never intended it to be useful to applicants, which I mistakenly thought was obvious.

"Fun. As a past UCSF AP/CP resident let me provide the readers with my perspective. It should be obvious that both Hector and I have our respective biases; those making this decision will have to sort it out. I would agree that a match at either site is great, two of the best programs in the country."

Last edited:
Logos that is most biased post Ive seen yet on SDN. I actually now have to clean the Coke Zero I spit on my possibly ruined Logitech keyboard from my laughing.

Basically you owe me a keyboard dude. I will be over at the Parnassus campus in 2 weeks to collect.

I will add the King Tut exhibit SUCKED. So one ding for DeYoung Museum and Golden Gate Park.

Peace.

PS- Perhaps I should recoup 1/2 my keyboard costs from Hector for starting this thread...

Definitely agree 100% with you.

The only thing I disagree with is that if you want to have little kids in residency then SF is far superior to living in than palo alto. The city is so much more enriching and there is so much more to do with your little diaper dumpers.

Last edited:
Definitely agree 100% with you.

The only thing I disagree with is that if you want to have little kids in residency then SF is far superior to living in than palo alto. The city is so much more enriching and there is so much more to do with your little diaper dumpers.

Highly disagree. Palo Alto is for living and SF is for day trips. Riding around on BART and muni with little kids sure is a cultural experience, but not as much fun as you think.

Arguing which program is better is analogous to comparing BWH vs MGH...

Mere mortals would be happy to go to any of the above mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
How do UCSF and Stanford compare to UW?