Stanford why would you go??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raven

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Easy...

1) 20,000/yr tuition discount if your parents make less than 180,000/yr.

2) Med student research is funded at 12,000/quarter.

3) Med student travel is funded at 13,000/quarter.

4) Stanford matched 16% of last year's class to Harvard affiliated hospitals. Other notable matches include numerous graduates at UCSF and UPenn. Grads also are successful at getting into Stanford's elite ENT program.

5) Small class size (80 ppl).

6) Optional 5-year plan to pursue other intellectual interests.

7) Chance to take classes at Stanford and/or pursue other degrees (i.e. MD/PhD, MD/MBA, or MD/JD).

8) (For bioengineers like me) New Bio-X center for interdisciplinary research.

9) It's in California.

10) Last year, Stanford had 5 Howard Hughes fellows. Tied with Duke and Harvard, if I recall.

11) No class on Wednesdays for the first two years.

12) True pass/fail with narrative evals.

13) (Petty point) Long coats.

Just what I was looking for; you are the sparkle in my eye.

Members don't see this ad :)
Added to the above reasons, the campus is the most beautiful I've ever seen.

i wouldn't. i don't learn well in a 100% *gunner* environment.

It has a nice campus. There is a park on campus. The buildings have an ivy-look to it.

At the interview, the financial aid counselor said you could be virtually guaranteed the discount if your parents combined income was less than 180,000. Since financial aid varies with available funds, this number changes from year to year...some years, he said, its been as high as 200,000 combined.

Pfft sucks for the people with parents 200k+ and not contributing to their education.

Originally posted by beatla19
Added to the above reasons, the campus is the most beautiful I've ever seen.

The medical school is the ugliest building on campus, with its swastika-looking patterns on the front facade.

However, the rest of campus is gorgeous and the weather is incredible, 75 and sunny today. If you are into being active, Stanford has some of the best athletic faciliites in the country.

Palo Alto leaves a lot to be desired but SF is 40 minutes away.

i happen to have fallen into that parents 200k+ and not contributing category and that's exactly one of the reasons that i chose stanford. they're middle income assistance program is unbelievable (i think most 200k+ people fall into this unless your parents are astronomically rich). for every dollar your parents will put up they'll put up a dollar (up to $20,000). but like i said my parents won't put up a cent, so i take out their contribution in extra loans and stanford hands me a check for $80,000 (over the four years). that hands down beats financial aid at every other private school i applied to.

i'd also say we're the least *gunner* place ever. it's pass/fail, so it just doesn't happen. okay maybe one/two are super hard core, but that doesn't stop them from being really nice people, who share their notes/insights, and have fun on the weekends.

ive noticed that almost the entire, well almost entire, admissions office, including the dean, is hispanic/latino? anyone else notice that??

Because it's in Northern California. Is that not enough?

Of course, as someone who was born at Stanford and raised in N. California, I may be a bit biased.

Originally posted by ms. a
Because it's in Northern California. Is that not enough?

Of course, as someone who was born at Stanford and raised in N. California, I may be a bit biased.

interesting, I was born at Stanford and raised in Los Altos (5 minutes from Palo Alto), and my dad is an assistant professor at the med school (thanks to his teaching their 3rd years on their OBGYN rotation) and I WOULD NEVER go to Stanford. To each his/her own I guess . . . (True, the campus is pretty if you like suburban)

Originally posted by looseygoosey
The medical school is the ugliest building on campus, with its swastika-looking patterns on the front facade.

However, the rest of campus is gorgeous and the weather is incredible, 75 and sunny today. If you are into being active, Stanford has some of the best athletic faciliites in the country.

Palo Alto leaves a lot to be desired but SF is 40 minutes away.

I would say that Stern is the ugliest building on campus...

--Rager

Originally posted by rager1
I would say that Stern is the ugliest building on campus...
what, you mean the bright pink exteriors don't do it for you? :D

although, i admit, the dining hall mural definitely takes the cake for weirdness.

Originally posted by evenstar
what, you mean the bright pink exteriors don't do it for you? :D

although, i admit, the dining hall mural definitely takes the cake for weirdness.

Yeah Casa Zapata's Last Supper with Che Guevara sitting in the Jesus seat with Death (scythe and all) to his right is just creepy.

The food is better than it was 2 years ago though before the renovation.

2nd ugliest building is probably Mudd Chemistry.

--Rager

Originally posted by rager1
Yeah Casa Zapata's Last Supper with Che Guevara sitting in the Jesus seat with Death (scythe and all) to his right is just creepy.

The food is better than it was 2 years ago though before the renovation.

2nd ugliest building is probably Mudd Chemistry.

--Rager

I agree that Stern is incredibly ugly and extremely weird (with consistently crappy food). However, I still stand by my statement that the med school is by far the ugliest...have you been to Lane Library???

Mudd isn't that bad, at least compared to Swain.

Let's face it, Stanford is just one large, over-priced mexican restaurant.

Originally posted by looseygoosey
I agree that Stern is incredibly ugly and extremely weird (with consistently crappy food). However, I still stand by my statement that the med school is by far the ugliest...have you been to Lane Library???

Mudd isn't that bad, at least compared to Swain.

Let's face it, Stanford is just one large, over-priced mexican restaurant.

i'll have a steak burrito with guacamole and one acceptance please. gracias.