Starbucks: Step Study (MS-3 advice needed)

Started by cooldown
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cooldown

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello MS-3

Did you do your step study at starbucks or any other non-library location?

Wondering who else in my boat - and what did you to help you focus better, etc

cheers,
 
My friend did at Starbucks. I did at home. Others did at school. Find where you’re comfortable with the least amount of distractions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I alternated. Several days or nights per week at Starbucks with a couple of friends. Noise cancelling head phones are a must. +++ when you befriend the baristas and they start hooking you up because you basically live there.

Then I would do some days at home, alone, studying with frequent breaks to go to the gym, do laundry, walk the dogs, etc. I used a variation of the pomodoro method and took longer breaks when my brain felt fried.

I think the most important thing is finding a place that works for you where you feel productive. Some days I needed to be around my friends just for the company and laughs. Other days I was more focused and productive doing solo study.

Good luck!
 
I alternated. Several days or nights per week at Starbucks with a couple of friends. Noise cancelling head phones are a must. +++ when you befriend the baristas and they start hooking you up because you basically live there.

Then I would do some days at home, alone, studying with frequent breaks to go to the gym, do laundry, walk the dogs, etc. I used a variation of the pomodoro method and took longer breaks when my brain felt fried.

I think the most important thing is finding a place that works for you where you feel productive. Some days I needed to be around my friends just for the company and laughs. Other days I was more focused and productive doing solo study.

Good luck!

This is exactly what I did. Would start early at starbucks or one other local coffee shop, transition to lunch at home/chill for a second and then go to the alternate location for the afternoon, come home mid-evening and study some more. I alternated heavy study days with gym+study days. And yes, the baristas will start hooking you up haha - even went on a date with the manager lmao
 
what was your alt location? bad idea to study at home-office/study for 2nd half of the day?

I had another coffee shop that I would frequent. I would only go home after being out for the majority of the day and wanted to be a bit more comfortable. I don't think it's a bad idea to study at home if you can still be productive. It's really all about where you feel the most focused.
 
i like the relax feeling at home - no need to be careful what wearing, can put my favorite scent/background music = that's very productive for me. I also have another issue at home that is a big focus killer


but doing 1/2 days starbucks 1/2 private offie helps
 
Last edited: