This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MommasDoctor95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my pre-med in 3 days (WHOOP WHOOOP). I'm really excited and antsy about it. I live in Indiana with my husband and his two kids and am really trying to stay in state. I am starting my pre-med classes in CC to get my gen eds done ( calc, english, foreign language). I'm 21 now, I finished my associates at a technical school for IT but as good as I am at computers, I need to be able to talk to people and help people. Hence switching careers.

My questions are:
Who else is starting pre-med this year!?
Has anyone else gotten in IU recently that wouldn't be opposed to sharing your GPA and MCAT scores? I do know what they consider competitive, but it's be nice to talk to someone who has gone through it personally and recently.
Any advice on getting my gen-eds done in CC and if it will hurt my application to IU? I have a full time job and want to hold out as long as I can before switching to Uni. I have bills to pay and no one to help besides m husband. Until we pay our bills down, he can't do it alone.
Where did people shadow and/or volunteer? How early did you start?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

CC isn't a problem, especially for a non-trad. Your goal should be to do well on the courses, and if possible, try to volunteer on the weekends. Also, remember to take things one step a time, since it's a marathon and not a sprint.

I really appreciate both of your answers :) I will move over to that forum then. I didn't know IU was allopathic and not osteopathic.

Before I move over though, what makes a non-traditional student? I thought it was just age and though I'm not just out of high school, I thought I was still in an average range for a freshman in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting my pre-med in 3 days (WHOOP WHOOOP). I'm really excited and antsy about it. I live in Indiana with my husband and his two kids and am really trying to stay in state. I am starting my pre-med classes in CC to get my gen eds done ( calc, english, foreign language). I'm 21 now, I finished my associates at a technical school for IT but as good as I am at computers, I need to be able to talk to people and help people. Hence switching careers.

My questions are:
Has anyone else gotten in IU recently that wouldn't be opposed to sharing your GPA and MCAT scores? I do know what they consider competitive, but it's be nice to talk to someone who has gone through it personally and recently.
Any advice on getting my gen-eds done in CC and if it will hurt my application to IU? I have a full time job and want to hold out as long as I can before switching to Uni. I have bills to pay and no one to help besides m husband. Until we pay our bills down, he can't do it alone.

Thanks in advance!
I have a few degrees from IU, so I'm happy to give some advice. Here are their recent MD program stats:

MCAT Scores, GPA and Course Work Requirements
Median undergraduate GPA 3.80
Oldest MCAT considered 2015
Median MCAT Scores 30 MCAT total score
10 verbal reasoning
10 physical sciences
10 biological sciences

Required undergraduate course work
biology behavioral science
organic chemistry social sciences
physics general chemistry
biochemistry

A median MCAT score of 30 equates to a 507 on the new scale. As a Plan B, look into Marian University's DO program which is also located in Indianapolis. The last stats I saw for their entering class was a GPA of 3.62 with a 27 MCAT. ...You are beginning a long, competitive academic journey, but you can do it if you remain very focused. You don't need to worry about shadowing or volunteering until you are a junior or senior. Your first objective is to determine whether or not you can be successful in all of the required undergrad coursework.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a few degrees from IU, so I'm happy to give some advice. Here are their recent MD program stats:

MCAT Scores, GPA and Course Work Requirements
Median undergraduate GPA 3.80
Oldest MCAT considered 2015
Median MCAT Scores 30 MCAT total score
10 verbal reasoning
10 physical sciences
10 biological sciences

Required undergraduate course work
biology behavioral science
organic chemistry social sciences
physics general chemistry
biochemistry

A median MCAT score of 30 equates to a 507 on the new scale. As a Plan B, look into Marian University's DO program which is also located in Indianapolis. The last stats I saw for their entering class was a GPA of 3.62 with a 27 MCAT. ...You are beginning a long, competitive academic journey, but you can do it if you remain very focused. You don't need to worry about shadowing or volunteering until you are a junior or senior. Your first objective is to determine whether or not you can be successful in all of the required undergrad coursework.
Seeing as you went to both a DO and an MD program. Can you describe the difference?

Seeing as you went to both a DO and an MD program. Can you describe the difference?

I'm not a graduate of either program. Do a search on this site or the internet to learn about the differences between MD and DO degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!
Also attending CC and started around similar!
I am a non-trad and I'm 2-3 years behind.
Last year, I started my pre-med journey when I was 21. Now I am 22!
( ... I decided to take this journey after abusing W's and P/NP to keep my 4.0 :p)

First step was to take Stats during summer. It's crucial for MCAT and I think it is required by some MDs.
During fall 16, I took Psych and General Chemistry 1. (Also one ehtnic studies course, to show that I care about other people... also 2 other behavioral courses.)
Gen. Chemistry is a required course and Psych is a recommended course (some MDs require it, but only 1 DO requires it iirc).
I'm taking Philosophy now just for fun (it's really fun). In Spring 17, I will be taking Calc, Trig, Gen. Chem 2, Sociology and Archaeology.
Next summer, I might take Anatomy and Microbiology (or Intro to Physics).
This is my first year as pre-med. Not much going on really :)
It's my second year, but technically I am spending another year at CC. So I count this year as my first year (as pre-med)!

My advice is that you should nail some easy common recommended courses- like Stats, Psych, Sociology (other behavioral science too).
Also, do not abuse W's too much. I have 4 W's. All because I had B's in them. Yes, I was very stupid...
Also: DO provide their version of MSAR for free.
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/cib_web_full-publication.pdf?sfvrsn=38
Lastly, if you see Donald J. Trump on this forum, RUN.

Last edited:
9Few more tips:
-Also try to nail: Trigonometry. It's required for Physics without Calculus. Even if it's Physics with Calculus, my college requires it for some reason.
- Try to get EC's as quick as possible. I was really worried about it when I began my journey. I stepped up and inquired many places for volunteering opportunities. Hospitals, schools, clubs, etc. I had 0 ECs and 0 hours of anything!! :( But now, I am a member of prominent local Geo. society, volunteer at local elementary school and will start volunteering at a big hospital (geographically, this hospital takes a lot of homeless people).
- Try to be friends with the professors!! :) :) Attending a CC gives you this edge; you can interact with your professor better than when you are at a 4-year uni. lecture hall.
- Read Goro's posts. Goro is a black cat and is a faculty member at a DO school. They are eye opening and you can learn a lot (from the inside). A lot of his posts are worth reading. A lot of his posts are worthy of being a sticky. I should collect it all and put them all on one thread.

Edit: you asked a question about volunteering. Start as soon as possible. There are volunteerism matching sites, but they are inefficient. Just use them as reference. If the hospital has a website, visit the website. The application for volunteering is usually up on their website. The best way to get volunteering opportunities is to visit the hospital yourself. The main desk will help you to find the volunteer office and the volunteer organizer will give you a packet (no need to prink those huuuggee pages of application..) and give you more details about volunteering!

Last edited:
I'd like to underscore Geo's advice.

BE FRIENDS WITH YOUR PROFESSORS.

You will get laxer grading and better LORs if they know you.

You will get laxer grading and better LORs if they know you.
Yes, if you are friends with the professors they will give you an instant A.
JK, this is an alternating fact :p The courses will grab you by the brain to build a huge wall against you and your A. Also, he's here: run!