Start MPH while applying MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bad idea?

I heard some schools will reject your MD application if they know you're in your 1st year of the MPH? Is that true?

Also, why is an MPH not doable in 1 year everywhere? At the 2 year programs, they require 50 hours and claim you need 2 years to do that. You can easily do 50 hours in one year if you did a summer semester. Has anyone had any success negotiating this with MPH programs?

Members don't see this ad.

MD schools do not like to accept anyone unless they are graduating from there other institution before medical school starts. If you have already graduated, this doesn't matter. MD schools do NOT like accepting students where an acceptance means quiting their other degree program.

MD schools do not like to accept anyone unless they are graduating from there other institution before medical school starts. If you have already graduated, this doesn't matter. MD schools do NOT like accepting students where an acceptance means quiting their other degree program.

meh, so let's take a school that has an MPH program in 2 years and dual MD/MPH program in 5 years.

what's the problem in doing just the MPH in 1 year? I understand what makes this possible is probably because MD and MPH classes overlap. I'm going to be applying to MD schools, though, and I'm fairly confident I'll get in this year. if I get in, what's the problem of counting my 1st of MPH classes as ones towards the MD/MPH? you should be able to do 1 year MPH first and then 4 year MD. the classes I'd have remaining after the 1st of 2 years MPH program should be taken care of by the MD. know what i'm saying? why isn't this doable?

Members don't see this ad :)
what's the problem in doing just the MPH in 1 year? I understand what makes this possible is probably because MD and MPH classes overlap. I'm going to be applying to MD schools, though, and I'm fairly confident I'll get in this year. if I get in, what's the problem of counting my 1st of MPH classes as ones towards the MD/MPH? you should be able to do 1 year MPH first and then 4 year MD. the classes I'd have remaining after the 1st of 2 years MPH program should be taken care of by the MD. know what i'm saying? why isn't this doable?
It is doable, you just need to take the classes as a non degree seeking student. Most schools will let you do this if you explain the situation. Just make sure you're not listed as a degree seeking student and you have no problems.

However it seems a whole lot simpler, if you have a year off, just to do a 1 year MPH at a school that has a 1 year MPH program, rather than complicating it by doing this wierd 2 year program. You go for either 3 semester (fall, spring, summer) or 4 semesters (this summer, fall, spring, and next summer) and then when you start medical school you just have the MPH without needing to complicate your schedule.

It is doable, you just need to take the classes as a non degree seeking student. Most schools will let you do this if you explain the situation. Just make sure you're not listed as a degree seeking student and you have no problems.

However it seems a whole lot simpler, if you have a year off, just to do a 1 year MPH at a school that has a 1 year MPH program, rather than complicating it by doing this wierd 2 year program. You go for either 3 semester (fall, spring, summer) or 4 semesters (this summer, fall, spring, and next summer) and then when you start medical school you just have the MPH without needing to complicate your schedule.

the problem is my parents don't want me to move far away (as in to a coast when i live in the midwest now) for an MPH program.

if you are taking MPH classes as non-degree seeking, then do you even need to APPLY to the school??

if you are taking MPH classes as non-degree seeking, then do you even need to APPLY to the school??
Good question, I have no idea. Everyone I know who did this was already in another grad program (an SMP) in the school at the time so they were already associated with the school, just taking courses in another department. Call up the school, explain your situation, and ask if/how they can make this work.