Start New Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbatsandwich

I like bats. I like sandwiches.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was complete at all schools between mid-August and early-September. Received one rejection so far with advice to improve my clinical hours.

I just set up an interview with a pain clinic for a full-time scribe job. Only issue is that my kids daycare can only offer us part-time care so I’d have to figure that out.

My question is this - would it even be beneficial for me to take on a new experience at this point in the cycle? For clinical volunteering I have 150 hours in hospice and 150 hours in ED. My nonclinical hours are lower, so I’ve been volunteering with a food bank twice a week and would also have to give up that to take this job.

Thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

That's pretty shocking to be told 300 clinical hours needs to be improved upon. Just a pre-med myself, hoping someone can give insight.

Was complete at all schools between mid-August and early-September. Received one rejection so far with advice to improve my clinical hours.

I just set up an interview with a pain clinic for a full-time scribe job. Only issue is that my kids daycare can only offer us part-time care so I’d have to figure that out.

My question is this - would it even be beneficial for me to take on a new experience at this point in the cycle? For clinical volunteering I have 150 hours in hospice and 150 hours in ED. My nonclinical hours are lower, so I’ve been volunteering with a food bank twice a week and would also have to give up that to take this job.

Thanks for any insight.

What are your academic stats and what schools are you applying for ? Are you a traditional applicant on non traditional in your gap year ?

Based on prior posts by ADCOMs , 300 should keep you competitive if you are a standard applicant. For non traditional applicants they expect more hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your academic stats and what schools are you applying for ? Are you a traditional applicant on non traditional in your gap year ?

Based on prior posts by ADCOMs , 300 should keep you competitive if you are a standard applicant. For non traditional applicants they expect more hours.

So if they were in the process of applying the summer before their gap year greater than 300 is expected?

510 MCAT (128,128,128,126), 3.69 cumulative, 3.80 science. I'm applying pretty broadly to 28 low-mid tier MD schools and 10 DO schools. So far I have two interviews scheduled, one at KU (my state school) and another at AZCOM. I'm a non-traditional applicant. Female, 32, former pastry chef. Originally was going to apply during the 2019-2020 cycle but my first MCAT attempt was too low (499 - 123,127,125,124) and I was pregnant with my son. He was born August 2019. When I got pregnant I put us on every daycare waitlist I could find, and so far we've only gotten off one waitlist for a tues/thurs spot. As you can imagine, I don't have a ton of free time and am basically a stay-at-home-mom this year but do volunteer the two days he has daycare. I might also mention that I have around 80 hours of shadowing, mostly in primary care.

510 MCAT (128,128,128,126), 3.69 cumulative, 3.80 science. I'm applying pretty broadly to 28 low-mid tier MD schools and 10 DO schools. So far I have two interviews scheduled, one at KU (my state school) and another at AZCOM. I'm a non-traditional applicant. Female, 32, former pastry chef. Originally was going to apply during the 2019-2020 cycle but my first MCAT attempt was too low (499 - 123,127,125,124) and I was pregnant with my son. He was born August 2019. When I got pregnant I put us on every daycare waitlist I could find, and so far we've only gotten off one waitlist for a tues/thurs spot. As you can imagine, I don't have a ton of free time and am basically a stay-at-home-mom this year but do volunteer the two days he has daycare. I might also mention that I have around 80 hours of shadowing, mostly in primary care.
Given everything you are juggling, I think you are fine. I really think the food bank is higher impact and more valuable than more clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 users
Given everything you are juggling, I think you are fine. I really think the food bank is higher impact and more valuable than more clinical volunteering.

Thank you. This makes me feel better.

Thank you. This makes me feel better.
My pleasure. The process has more than enough stress without you feeling the need to benchmark yourself against someone 10 years younger without any of your interesting experiences or current obligations. Pastry chef => MD? Very cool!!!

You have more than enough hours to show commitment and awareness of what you are getting into. Given that you have a baby, you should not feel like you need to hire a nanny in order to volunteer time you are really not in a position to give just to collect hours to impress an adcom. You are likely going to be plenty impressive (as evidenced by the two early IIs) without the number of clinical hours someone like me would need. Good luck!! :cool:

Reactions: 1 users

Wow... hope you get in. You should be competitive for most DO schools and to some of the MD schools, since you are at the 50th percentile for stats.

Stay optimistic and hope things work out.

Wow... hope you get in. You should be competitive for most DO schools and to some of the MD schools, since you are at the 50th percentile for stats.

Stay optimistic and hope things work out.
Thank you