Started a list, but need some feedback on Where ELSE to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whateva07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Stats:

science GPA: 3.63
cum GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 26 in past...waiting for June MCAT to be released (really scared)...but on my practice exams I was scoring from 30-33, so I hope I get something in that range.
ECs: I would say they are solid; shadowing experience, hosp. volunteer, research, other vol exp, ta, etc.

Schools that I am applying to...

gw
univ of n. dakota
drexel
jefferson
penn state
evms (state school)
vcu (ss)
uva (ss)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone want to help an sdn sista out??? comee onnnn

why not temple?

Members don't see this ad :)
why not temple?

well I figured I'd rather apply to penn vs temple bc temple has much more applicants, and the schools have similar stats...any good reason I should apply to temple?

well you're applying to the other Philly schools and your list is kinda short; unless you have some real reason not to, you might as well. Also, Penn State is public which might make it more difficult for you to get in.

GPA: 3.63 MCAT: waiting for results (practice tests 30-33)

Ok here is my list....

1. gw
2. univ of n. dakota
3. drexel
4. jefferson
5. penn state
6. evms (state school)
7. vcu (ss)
8. uva (ss)
9. u of toledo
10.u of illinois at chicago college of medicine
11.rosalind franklin university
12.creighton university

Any opinions???

GPA: 3.63 MCAT: waiting for results (practice tests 30-33)

Ok here is my list....

1. gw
2. univ of n. dakota
3. drexel
4. jefferson
5. penn state
6. evms (state school)
7. vcu (ss)
8. uva (ss)
9. u of toledo
10.u of illinois at chicago college of medicine
11.rosalind franklin university
12.creighton university

Any opinions???

If you do not live in Illinois, I would remove UIC and add either Loyola or Rush. OOS tuition at UIC is steep and they accept mainly in-state students.

OP--
it'd be helpful if you provide us with your state of residence, application budget, and few sentences about your overall application (ie. research-heavy vs. more of a clinical focus).

OP--
it'd be helpful if you provide us with your state of residence, application budget, and few sentences about your overall application (ie. research-heavy vs. more of a clinical focus).

Sure. VA is my state of residence.

Application Budget I guess 20 schools is the max I would apply to.

My ECs includes two research projects, volunteer at hospital several summers/winter/past year in different departments, shadowdc physician, volunteered abroad in a clinic, TA one semester, a few non-medical volunteering experiences, non-medical work experience, member of several societies and president of an organization.

I would apply more broadly.

I'm sorta unsure where to apply. I was thinking of applying to some schools now, and then add some once I knew my scores.

How about some NY schools? Which ones should I apply to? NYMC, SUny Downstate or Upstate???

Nooo they move me here...Now I'll never get any responses..noooooooo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your list of ECs are impressive. Try adding OSU, Miami, Wake Forest, and Tuft.

Your list of ECs are impressive. Try adding OSU, Miami, Wake Forest, and Tuft.

Yay someone responded. Thanks!! Oh really, I thought they were probly just avg. Ok I'll definately look into those schools.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok here is my list for schoosl I will be applying to for sure...

1. EVMS
2. UVA
3. VCU
4. Penn State
5. Jefferson
6. Drexel
7. GW
8. U of Toledo
9. Tulane
10. Creighton

Possible schools to add to the list....
-Temple
-NYMC
-Suny Upstate
-Suny Downstate
-MC of Wisconsin
-U of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
-Rosalind Franklin

These are the schools I will apply to before I receive my MCAT, and I can add more once I see my results. So I'm still taking any opinions bc I could totally use all the help I can get!!

I think your initial list looks good. :thumbup: Your best bets will likely be instate, and you've got some good options.

But since you'll be adding schools once you get your MCAT, it's hard to say now where you should add. You could certainly check out Loyola, Rochester, Albany and UVM, but if you end up getting a 33 vs. a 30, more reach schools would be good to add.

As for Loyola, no sense adding them right now. They won't send you a secondary until a week or two after they get your MCAT score anyway.... But if you get a 29-32 I think they would be a great school to add.

Also, be aware that while UIC does take OOSers, the tuition is insane. Check it out (and keep in mind that you need to add $10,000 to the tuition figure for second and third year since they don't count the summer tuition between 1st and 2nd and between 2nd and 3rd when they quote the first year tuition).

Feel free to post back when you have your MCAT results.... :luck:

I think your initial list looks good. :thumbup: Your best bets will likely be instate, and you've got some good options.

But since you'll be adding schools once you get your MCAT, it's hard to say now where you should add. You could certainly check out Loyola, Rochester, Albany and UVM, but if you end up getting a 33 vs. a 30, more reach schools would be good to add.

As for Loyola, no sense adding them right now. They won't send you a secondary until a week or two after they get your MCAT score anyway.... But if you get a 29-32 I think they would be a great school to add.

Also, be aware that while UIC does take OOSers, the tuition is insane. Check it out (and keep in mind that you need to add $10,000 to the tuition figure for second and third year since they don't count the summer tuition between 1st and 2nd and between 2nd and 3rd when they quote the first year tuition).

Feel free to post back when you have your MCAT results.... :luck:

Yup I already submitted for my instate bc those were a must, but still gotta apply elsewhere. I think I will hold off on UIC and replace that with something else....Thanks phoenix! I hope my score turned out ok :eek:

Yup I already submitted for my instate bc those were a must, but still gotta apply elsewhere. I think I will hold off on UIC and replace that with something else....Thanks phoenix! I hope my score turned out ok :eek:

Hmmm. Check out Wayne State too. And depending on how your MCAT turns out, look into MSSM and Albert Einstein since it looks like you're a fan of the NY area.

Good luck slaying that beast!

Ok so Ive been hesitating to add schools. My application has not been verified thanks to my transcript not making it there and its inline to be verified, but anyways....I need some sort of confirmation from you guys about which schools to apply... here is the list..

1. EVMS (instate)
2. UVA (instate)
3. VCU (instate)
4. Penn State
5. Jefferson
6. Drexel
7. GW
8. U of Toledo
9. Creighton
10. MC of Wisconsin
11. NYMC

Also I am a reapplicant so I'm not sure if some schools will let me apply again. A couple are old, some are new...Anyone know anything about that?

I also can add schools once I get my MCAT scores..(practice 30-33) and GPA is 3.63

PSU and Toledo may take some OOS, but I don't think your chances at those schools are very good. Creighton takes a good amount of people from this combined Bachelors/Medical program and is also a Jesuit institution, so keep that in mind.

You can add Rosalind Franklin, Tulane, Saint Louis and Albany. You're free to reapply and will be given fair consideration, but are unlikely to get in the 2nd time around unless you have made significant improvements to your app.

From what I've heard, most (if not all) schools that you are reapplying to will ask you (generally in essay form) what you have done since you applied last cycle to improve your application. I've definitely heard of people who applied one year and didn't get an interview reapplied and got an interview the next year after improving their app. It really just depends on the applicant, the improvement, the school, etc. Just give it your best shot. And I agree about adding some of the schools mentioned above. If I were you, I'd add as many as I could afford so as not to have to reapply a third year. Also, I would call a couple of the schools I was rejected from and ask them what I could do to improve my application. Some schools will do that for you, which I think would be incredibly useful to know. Also, you might want to check out the Reapplicant Forum on SDN. as well. Good luck!