started early and got 260+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple kids in the class right before me (current 3rd years) took step 1 in June I believe, but they started reviewing information in February. This sounds ridiculous to almost everyone else I talk to since it seems that the standard is to wait until school ends 2nd year before you even crack the books. However these two kids both scored 260+ and I think they might be the only two in the class that did that well (and probably the only two that started that early). I guess they didn't go completely crazy with it, but they said that they had gone through all of the following one time before school got out: CMMRS, BRS Physio, Rapid Review path, BRS Pharm cards, Kaplans Biochem, all the goljan audio, HY neuroanatmy, HY behavioral sciences, and a couple more review books. They had basically gone through all of their study materials once before 2nd year even ended. They said they both took NBME practice tests before they started "hardcore studying" and they were both scoring very well. Has anyone here started studying this early - i.e. to the point where they almost finished going through everything once by the time 2nd year ended? And how well did it serve you?

Members don't see this ad.

I did that and only used 12 days after my last final exam to cram.

Slow and steady wins the race. I didn't put in that much time per week.

Long term retention requires multiple episodes of reinforcement, spread out.

Sounds really logical, and I plan/hope to follow in their footsteps.

I wonder what's more common:

--Good intentions to do longer-term, cram-free studying, but it just doesn't end up happening

or

--Planning to follow the path that a lot of people take, which is just waiting until very near the end of second year to really crack a review book

Sounds logical as long as rate going in (and more importantly staying in) > rate going out

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple kids in the class right before me (current 3rd years) took step 1 in June I believe, but they started reviewing information in February. This sounds ridiculous to almost everyone else I talk to since it seems that the standard is to wait until school ends 2nd year before you even crack the books. However these two kids both scored 260+ and I think they might be the only two in the class that did that well (and probably the only two that started that early). I guess they didn't go completely crazy with it, but they said that they had gone through all of the following one time before school got out: CMMRS, BRS Physio, Rapid Review path, BRS Pharm cards, Kaplans Biochem, all the goljan audio, HY neuroanatmy, HY behavioral sciences, and a couple more review books. They had basically gone through all of their study materials once before 2nd year even ended. They said they both took NBME practice tests before they started "hardcore studying" and they were both scoring very well. Has anyone here started studying this early - i.e. to the point where they almost finished going through everything once by the time 2nd year ended? And how well did it serve you?

:laugh:

This is kind of a relief to read - usually we get about 100 threads a week from M1's/early M2's asking if it's okay for them to start studying way way too early.

February, however is not too early. The generally accepted wisdom is to start studying after you get back from winter break.

You will do best by knowing yourself.

If you like slow and steady, lots of repetition, it's entirely appropriate to partition time over second year to studying. I know a guy who did that and got a 260+.

Or, you can be like another guy I know who didn't crack First Aid until a week after the final and did the intensive prep deal. Also got a 260+.

Do whatever you can that allows you to reach your potential.

I know everyone has their own ways of doing things but I hope this slow prep thing holds true for me. I unintentionally have had to prep twice because of logistical problems at my school, I prepped for 7-8 weeks in the summer, and now having gone through neuro/msk/psych rotations I find myself with 6 weeks to prep again this time with a definite test date at the end - only time will tell!

I think there is something to be said about having more repetition spread over more time to aid putting information into long-term memory, but part of the material for Step 1 is very difficult to put in long term memory. It really depends on your school's curriculum whether or not it is possible to devote enough time Feb-April to get the reading in.

This strategy is one I have been planning to employ. My full-time studying after we are done with coursework will hopefully consist of quick reviews and mostly every question I can find.

Many people at my school started studying early, hitting up evening review sessions provided by the school or just studying on their own or in small groups. Many people did really well 240+ and most of my friends who started early did quite well either, including myself, three of them even hitting 260+.

Step 1 is a marathon and 6 weeks just isn't enough time for the avg. person if you are looking to score 240+.