starting a new career in Family & Marriage Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meg77

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for any advice on starting a new career in Marriage and Family Counseling.

I'm a 40 year old female in Chicago with a BS in management. Married with 2 kids. After 20+ in the corporate world, I am ready to change careers and follow my passion. I always dreamt of becoming a marriage counselor.

I am hoping to go for an MBA part-time or via an online course, something that would allow me to keep my current FT job. Unfortunately, the colleges near me seem to offer part time or evening programs for BS degrees only. Does anyone know of any reputable part time program in the area, or an online degree program? Should I even be looking at online options or are they considered not very reputable? What is the job market for family and marriage counselors?

Any advice for a newbie who is very lost is appreciated on where to look and what to expect :).

Members don't see this ad.

@meg77 Hello, so you want to be a marriage-family therapist, but why get an MBA degree? I would think that MA, MFT is what you're looking for.

Are you saying you may do a dual-degree with MBA? e.g., MA/MBA or MSW/MBA combination?