Starting as an intern

Started by naseuy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

naseuy

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm looking for a job as an intern. I've never worked as a tech or at a pharmacy, and I was just wondering what is expect of me as an intern. I just started my P2 year and I can't help but feel that I really don't know anything.
 
So I'm looking for a job as an intern. I've never worked as a tech or at a pharmacy, and I was just wondering what is expect of me as an intern. I just started my P2 year and I can't help but feel that I really don't know anything.

they'll teach you on the job. half of the stuff you learn in class is so obscure you'll never use it anyway. on a positive note, you may find interning to be very refreshing compared to school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's good to know. Yeah some of the classes they made/making me take are so useless, and they can pretty much summarize the entirety of the class in a small brochure, but instead they drag it out and charge students thousands of dollars for them.
 
I've worked as a tech for two months now in retail and will be changing to an intern as soon as I get my license when classes begin. Interns at my store do a majority of the data entry, double checking SIGs/scripts and patient counseling. They rarely do any of the other tech work (filling, ringing out, etc).

At least in your situation, you probably know a lot of the drug names and their classes, generic versions, etc. I won't learn much about any of that until the end of P1, so even after I become an intern, I'll still be mostly useless until the end of P2. Everyone is until they learn the basics and become familiar with that companies prescription programs.
 
Last edited: