starting fresh....recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashik33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Duration for preparation: 10 months
Target step 1 score: 240+
Medical school base: Pretty good

Any recommendations on how to proceed (from the beginning)?
(A timeline is greatly appreciated.)
Any help will be valuable.
(May be things like this have already been posted but I just wanted the best recommendations for me:).)

Members don't see this ad.

There's 2 commonly used ways to attack the USMLE for IMG's who want to spend months and months on it.

1) Use the most common IMG approach of using the kaplan videos/notes series to build a base and then once you have a solid grasp of concepts start to focus on higher yield sources (FA, UW, Pathoma etc)

2) Instead of using the kaplan series, find the most highly regarded book in each discipline and use that before zoning in on FA+UW. If your base is pretty good try to use shorter and more high yield sources and get the exam done sooner than 10 months.

The more you wait the more you forget.

10 months for step 1 will be overkill if you're a graduate.6-8months will be ideal. Just write when you think you're @ your best ....... Wish you the best.

I'm an IMG and will be finishing in 6 months time (hopefully).

For students its a totally different scenario as they have med school classes to consider & they could take around 12-16 months .....

there are 2 ways to start prep

1) The Kaplan Way (ideal)

2) The HY Material (pick & choose) Way. Here you decide what to study

I'm waiting for 10 months just because I'm yet to complete my med school (may take 5 months now...) Meanwhile, I want to start preparing a bit so that I don't feel 'short of time' at the end. Anyways thanks for the suggestions.

@WarriorMD
Which approach do yo think is better?
i. First thorough study, then questions or
ii. Out and out questions only or
iii. Simultaneous study n question

Well everyone has their own opinion so don't follow exactly what someone tells you, but for me personally I really prefer to do questions while I study to help learn to apply knowledge as I obtain it. It also helps me fill in the gaps for stuff that I never gave my full attention to or for stuff I missed altogether.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG, 234. sat Step 1 in September

I did a quick read through of FA in my Easter holiday. The day after I finished my med school exams, started Uworld and annotating. Read through hy biochem, molecular bio, genetics, biostats. Did DIT (didn't like it). Finished Uworld. Read through FA twice. Sat it.

IMG, 234. sat Step 1 in September

I did a quick read through of FA in my Easter holiday. The day after I finished my med school exams, started Uworld and annotating. Read through hy biochem, molecular bio, genetics, biostats. Did DIT (didn't like it). Finished Uworld. Read through FA twice. Sat it.

Good job m8