starting IM what should I know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoomzoomzoom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'll be starting my internal med rotation in a week and I was wondering what you guys think I should review before starting? Is there anything that's really common (ie pneumonia) that if I know really will make me look really good during the first few days/weeks? Thanks a lot for all of your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say the most common stuff I saw was COPD flares, PNA, and rule-out chest pain. If you can read up on that beforehand that might be helpful. Also knowing basic lab stuff would be good. Otherwise, just enjoy yourself before your rotation because q4 sucks.

I'd say the most common stuff I saw was COPD flares, PNA, and rule-out chest pain. If you can read up on that beforehand that might be helpful. Also knowing basic lab stuff would be good. Otherwise, just enjoy yourself before your rotation because q4 sucks.

Good advice to live by. Just also be prepared for the endless rounding which depending on the attending can either be a total waste of time or quite beneficial but exhausting either way.

Know how to read a CXR and an EKG. You will invariably get pimped on one of these or both. Also know how to methodically explain how you are reading each of these. Attendings and residents want to know that you have a systematic approach. Even if you can't figure out exactly what is going on, if you start out by systematically going through it they will be impressed and will probably cut you off before you get to the final diagnosis anyway.