Starting Mil residency late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the match coming up I have a question regarding starting residencies late. Because I wasn't able to complete BOLC during my 1st and 2nd years they finally forced me to complete it between my 3rd and 4th year which delays my degree being approved until 7/31

Now my school has given me approval to do the last two EM rotations at my future residency site which means I could probably do all the orientation stuff in June during the day and rotate through the EM dept in the evening so I can get all that training so when residency starts I won't have to do a separate orientation. However, how will this impact my orders, pay and such?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it'll affect everything.

For the record, I know an Army physician that graduated medical school, started residency, and ended residency late. I know no other details of that situation, but it's at least possible. One thing that I hope is obvious to you is don't keep this a secret with your residency. I don't know if you want to tell anyone before the match, especially if you consider yourself a marginal applicant. If you feel like you're a strong candidate, then full and upfront disclosure is probably the way to go. In any case, just don't show up in June and drop this bomb on everyone. I know it sounds crazy, but I wouldn't warn you if others hadn't done similarl things.

Only physicians are in the medical corps, and - obviously - you're not a physician without a degree. I don't think you'll get promoted until you've graduated. That obviously will affect your date in rank and pay.

The trickiest part will be your orders. I'm guessing you will have exhausted all ADTs on audition rotations at this point. That means, if your orders don't call you to active duty until after you have your degree, then you'll spend the months of June and July living off of savings. That is, unless you convince someone to call you to active duty while still technically a medical student/MSC officer.

Regarding orientation, I'm sure you'll be able to do a lot of the things, like hospital orientation, ACLS certification, etc., but there's a lot of administrative crap that you won't be able to do until your orders are valid.

What specialty are we talking about here? Or have you decided? Have you considered what will happen if you match a site that doesn't typically have medical students rotate through the ED? Will you have to establish a MOU between this hospital and your university?

I'm guessing you've run all possible avenues of graduating on time to ground. And is there no chance they'll let you do BOLC between internship and residency? That's not ideal either, but it's better to go TDY once you're already in the system rather than push back entry into the system. This is an ambitious plan that will take a lot of perseverence and diligence on your part. Dealing with bureaucrats isn't easy even when you fit into their little box of what to expect. You've taken that box, painted it pink, and turned it into circle.

Good luck.

I'm an M4 waiting for the match. I was planning on contacting my residency director about a month or two after the match to discuss the options available to me during June and July that will help me meet the requirements for graduation and be able to do orientation with the rest of the R-1's. I wasn't going to show up on day 1 and tell them.

Do you think I'm slightly better off because the reason in behind schedule is because I had to go to BOLC over the summer?

Do you think I'm slightly better off because the reason in behind schedule is because I had to go to BOLC over the summer?

Better off how? Do you mean better off with your residency and program director? I mean, no one is ever pleased when someone has to show up late, but it happens all the time in the Army. It's understandable.

To what extent is the Army aware of your situation? Have you told anyone at the HPSP office?

I ask because, assuming you match into a program with a continuous contract, you will have to sign and return that contract early in 2012. As part of that contract, you will agree to begin your internship on 1 July 2012. I would not wait "a month or two after the match" to inform everyone about your situation because that might mean you're signing a contract knowing that you cannot fulfill its obligations. They could ruin your career based on that falsely entered-into contract, if they really wanted to. I doubt they would, but don't take that chance.