starting OMFS as a PGY-5?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MoreTrendPlease

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN,

I wanted some insight on whether my background will be an issue for OMFS matching. I’m a practicing dental specialist about two years out of residency. For a long time, I’ve had an interest in OMFS but shied away from it because I wasn’t sure I had the stomach for the OR environment. After graduating dental school and completing both a GPR and another GME-funded dental residency, I’ve found myself missing the bigger, more hands-on surgical cases. I’ve also developed a strong interest in airway physiology and OSA throughout dental school and residency, which has pushed me to re-evaluate my career path.

I’m still deciding whether I want to return to a hospital-based setting after being in private practice, but one thing I’m unsure about is the GME funding side. I’ve heard conflicting information about whether programs will automatically reject applicants who have already used GME-funded years through other residencies. My previous institution told me they wouldn’t care and would welcome an application, but I’ve heard some programs might avoid applicants who don’t come with full funding.

Is this a valid concern? Or should I just apply this coming cycle and see what happens? If anyone knows of OMFS programs that do not factor prior GME use into their decisions, I’d appreciate the insight.

Thanks in advance!
 
You wouldn't be starting as a PGY5. You would be starting as a PGY1. Just because you've done a GPR in the past, does not make your PGY standing more advance if you were to start OMS residency.
I believe OP is referring to their PG status in regards to what their salary would be based on GME standards, not that they would skip years of OS residency
 
Yep — the latter is what I meant. I reached out to my old residency, and they confirmed they would pay me at the PGY-5 level, continuing up through PGY-10. I also contacted NYU, and their policy is that everyone starts over at PGY-1 regardless of prior residency experience. So far, it seems like most CIR-unionized programs would bring me in as a PGY-5, while many non-union programs have contract language requiring me to restart at PGY-1 salary. I still need to figure out whether I should only apply to programs where I would restart, since the financial implications may affect how willing a program is to take me on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep — the latter is what I meant. I reached out to my old residency, and they confirmed they would pay me at the PGY-5 level, continuing up through PGY-10. I also contacted NYU, and their policy is that everyone starts over at PGY-1 regardless of prior residency experience. So far, it seems like most CIR-unionized programs would bring me in as a PGY-5, while many non-union programs have contract language requiring me to restart at PGY-1 salary. I still need to figure out whether I should only apply to programs where I would restart, since the financial implications may affect how willing a program is to take me on.
If you plan on pursuing this you should cast as wide of a net as possible. The biggest thing that would exclude you is the fact that you already completed a residency and now you want to go back and switch specialties, not your PGY5 status.
 
Yep — the latter is what I meant. I reached out to my old residency, and they confirmed they would pay me at the PGY-5 level, continuing up through PGY-10. I also contacted NYU, and their policy is that everyone starts over at PGY-1 regardless of prior residency experience. So far, it seems like most CIR-unionized programs would bring me in as a PGY-5, while many non-union programs have contract language requiring me to restart at PGY-1 salary. I still need to figure out whether I should only apply to programs where I would restart, since the financial implications may affect how willing a program is to take me on.
Could you share all of these programs you are referring to? This is some highly specific information. It’s hard enough to find an open spot willing to take a non-traditional applicant let alone have the freedom to choose between which programs will cover part of your funding or not, if that’s even a consideration.