Starting over...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nblues

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'll try to cut my background short: I was a premed in undergrad but after some hesitations about entering the field, I graduated and decided to pursue a MPH (which I was and still am super stoked about). Finishing that degree made me realize that combining medicine and public health is really what I want to do for the rest of my life. I feel like I'm a lot more mature and focused now than I was nearly 10 years ago as an insecure college freshman.

So....my undergrad s/ugpas are abysmal. I believe my sgpa is at or slightly below a 3.0 with my ugpa being not much higher from what I remember. I did the old mcat right after undergrad so I was definitely thinking of redoing that as well. In terms of ecs, I did volunteering, shadowing, smdep, tutoring/mentoring, and then the research I've done during my grad program.

My plan was to work on public health research at my local state university for the next two years while I redo my prereqs and study for the mcat. That way, I can raise my gpa and also get some solid science lors.

Does this sound like a feasible plan? Any advice from anyone in a similar predicament?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are a TX resident, then you can use Texas Academic Fresh Start, which requires redoing prerequisites.

If you are not, then do most of your post-bacc work in upper level science courses. This should help boost your cGPA and sGPA. Any prerequisite grades at C or above, don't bother redoing.

Calling @gyngyn @gonnif @LizzyM @Goro for more expert advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I'll try to cut my background short: I was a premed in undergrad but after some hesitations about entering the field, I graduated and decided to pursue a MPH (which I was and still am super stoked about). Finishing that degree made me realize that combining medicine and public health is really what I want to do for the rest of my life. I feel like I'm a lot more mature and focused now than I was nearly 10 years ago as an insecure college freshman.

So....my undergrad s/ugpas are abysmal. I believe my sgpa is at or slightly below a 3.0 with my ugpa being not much higher from what I remember. I did the old mcat right after undergrad so I was definitely thinking of redoing that as well. In terms of ecs, I did volunteering, shadowing, smdep, tutoring/mentoring, and then the research I've done during my grad program.

My plan was to work on public health research at my local state university for the next two years while I redo my prereqs and study for the mcat. That way, I can raise my gpa and also get some solid science lors.

Does this sound like a feasible plan? Any advice from anyone in a similar predicament?
Read this:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies.

I just noticed that DO schools are no longer doing grade replacement which is a big yikes for me. I was kind of banking on that to help a lot on the DO end ay yay yay

In terms of your diy post bacc, what should I do in the case that I've done most of those classes? I was a biology undergrad so those were mostly part of the package but my gpa still sucks. I see you said to audit classes if I need a refresher but do you still recommend this vs retake?

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.

I just noticed that DO schools are no longer doing grade replacement which is a big yikes for me. I was kind of banking on that to help a lot on the DO end ay yay yay

In terms of your diy post bacc, what should I do in the case that I've done most of those classes? I was a biology undergrad so those were mostly part of the package but my gpa still sucks. I see you said to audit classes if I need a refresher but do you still recommend this vs retake?
You can do it, it just depends on how bad you want it. I wish you the best of luck.