Starting over...

nblues

Dec 12, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'll try to cut my background short: I was a premed in undergrad but after some hesitations about entering the field, I graduated and decided to pursue a MPH (which I was and still am super stoked about). Finishing that degree made me realize that combining medicine and public health is really what I want to do for the rest of my life. I feel like I'm a lot more mature and focused now than I was nearly 10 years ago as an insecure college freshman.

So....my undergrad s/ugpas are abysmal. I believe my sgpa is at or slightly below a 3.0 with my ugpa being not much higher from what I remember. I did the old mcat right after undergrad so I was definitely thinking of redoing that as well. In terms of ecs, I did volunteering, shadowing, smdep, tutoring/mentoring, and then the research I've done during my grad program.

My plan was to work on public health research at my local state university for the next two years while I redo my prereqs and study for the mcat. That way, I can raise my gpa and also get some solid science lors.

Does this sound like a feasible plan? Any advice from anyone in a similar predicament?

Last edited:

DV-T

5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2015
  1. Medical Student
If you are a TX resident, then you can use Texas Academic Fresh Start, which requires redoing prerequisites.

If you are not, then do most of your post-bacc work in upper level science courses. This should help boost your cGPA and sGPA. Any prerequisite grades at C or above, don't bother redoing.

Calling @gyngyn @gonnif @LizzyM @Goro for more expert advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Hi everyone,

I'll try to cut my background short: I was a premed in undergrad but after some hesitations about entering the field, I graduated and decided to pursue a MPH (which I was and still am super stoked about). Finishing that degree made me realize that combining medicine and public health is really what I want to do for the rest of my life. I feel like I'm a lot more mature and focused now than I was nearly 10 years ago as an insecure college freshman.

So....my undergrad s/ugpas are abysmal. I believe my sgpa is at or slightly below a 3.0 with my ugpa being not much higher from what I remember. I did the old mcat right after undergrad so I was definitely thinking of redoing that as well. In terms of ecs, I did volunteering, shadowing, smdep, tutoring/mentoring, and then the research I've done during my grad program.

My plan was to work on public health research at my local state university for the next two years while I redo my prereqs and study for the mcat. That way, I can raise my gpa and also get some solid science lors.

Does this sound like a feasible plan? Any advice from anyone in a similar predicament?
Read this:

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

nblues

Dec 12, 2014
Thanks for your replies.

I just noticed that DO schools are no longer doing grade replacement which is a big yikes for me. I was kind of banking on that to help a lot on the DO end ay yay yay

In terms of your diy post bacc, what should I do in the case that I've done most of those classes? I was a biology undergrad so those were mostly part of the package but my gpa still sucks. I see you said to audit classes if I need a refresher but do you still recommend this vs retake?

Last edited:

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2015
Idaho
  1. Non-Student
Thanks for your replies.

I just noticed that DO schools are no longer doing grade replacement which is a big yikes for me. I was kind of banking on that to help a lot on the DO end ay yay yay

In terms of your diy post bacc, what should I do in the case that I've done most of those classes? I was a biology undergrad so those were mostly part of the package but my gpa still sucks. I see you said to audit classes if I need a refresher but do you still recommend this vs retake?
You can do it, it just depends on how bad you want it. I wish you the best of luck.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.