Starting over

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennisgirl92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am a 25 year old white female looking at going to medical school. I originally wanted to go to PA school, but after working in a surgical office realized I would not be satisfied in that role. I enjoy the leadership position of a doctor. However, my undergrad years were not so great. My father was diagnosed with cancer my sophomore year and subsequently died my senior year. As my college was out of state, I missed many classes due to flying back and forth from home. I am in a 2 year graduate program right now in Physiology taking many upper level science courses. My question is if it's a shot to apply this cycle or wait until I have more classes under my belt. I would like to stick with the MD route if possible, although I know that is more competitive.

State: NC
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Grad GPA (16 credits so far): 4.0
overall GPA: 3.16
science GPA: 3.21
BCPM: 2.987

I have taken some post bacc classes (18 credits) before I started the master's program with a total 3.7 GPA. The problem is I have 136 credits from college, making it hard to increase the overall GPA.

Experience:
2.5 years working as a medical assistant in a surgical oncology office-assisted in office procedures, set up procedures, specimen preparation, supply stock. medical histories, vitals, etc.
volunteered in college at a free clinic (around 300 hours)
shadowed primary care doc, orthopedic surgeon, dermatologist (around 120 hours)

I have excellent letters of recommendation and am confident could do well in an interview.

I am planning on taking the MCAT this spring and crushing it.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have all of your premed required courses out of the way, I see no reason not to apply once you take the MCAT.

Just keep getting As since the undergrad GPA is a little weak.

Without an SMP you have almost no chances at any MD schools except maybe your state school depending on your mcat score, but even that will be a reach. MD schools do not look at master programs as very favorable since they're known to inflate grades. DO schools look at them as favorable though and depending on your MCAT you have a decent shot at DO schools.