Starting over

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a working Software Engineer in Canada, I like my job fine but lately (well, like since last year) I have been thinking about going back to school and (try to) become a Veterinarian. I did some research and understand that it's a long hard road to take (not to mention I am starting late), but I believe that I have the determination to do this. Anyway, I think I am short in the biology prerequisites and I don't have much veterinary experience, so I guess my question is how do I go about it? Where to start? What should be my next step?

I live in Edmonton and the closest school that offer veterinary training is University of Calgary, but I am kinda leaning toward University of Prince Edward Island, I checked and I saw the admission requirement is really harsh (i.e. 5 years of veterinary experience?), I am thinking that I should move to Charlottetown to start things off (i.e. finish up all the required courses, prepare for GRE and gain some veterinary experience), it's probably 2-3 years before I apply. Suggestion? How about the program in University of Guelph and University of Saskatchewan?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, SOME of the vet experience can certainly be supplemented with other animal-related work... have you held any positions (volunteer or paid) that have involved working with animals?

If you've got a couple of schools in mind, you might want to try contacting their admissions offices, and seeing what they say. Because ultimately, THEY'RE going to be the ones who decide what gets you in and what doesn't.

Although I am not familiar with Canadian veterinary schools, I just took a a quick look at the admissions requirements for University of Prince Edward Island's vet school. It says that applicants must submit "a structured and detailed description of their veterinary and animal experience within the last five years prior to application" - which just says they are interested in your relatively recent experiences (as opposed to something you did many years ago), NOT that they require five years of veterinary experience.

A good next step would probably be to contact an admissions advisor at at least one of the schools you are interested in, and if possible meet with them to discuss how best to prepare. They can probably advise you of what in particular they look for and give you a bit of guidance as to what classes they'd like to see you take, whether you'll need to retake any prerequisites (some schools require that prerequisites be taken within X number of years of your application), and how to go about getting experience. I was in about the same place as you about three years ago, when I decided that mechanical engineering probably was just not going to cut it for me for the rest of my life. I met with someone from Penn Vet admissions, followed his advice, and will be starting vet school this fall!

Like you already said, it's a long road, but hey... life is too long not to love what you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, I guess I should start by gaining some animal/vet experience, right? I applied to volunteer at a local animal shelter, though I still need to find a vet who would take a volunteer, any other idea?

The vet schools in Canada only allow you to apply if your province has designated seats at the college. Being from Edmonton you actually have two options (lucky you!) U of C and WCVM (Sask). If you want to go to UPEI or Guelf you'll have to move there now to establish residency (a year usually, but check). Otherwise they don't accept any out of province students. Well, unless you speak flawless French in which case you could go to the Quebec one.

K