Getting a pet and starting school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AppyDust

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to schools for starting Fall 2022 and fingers crossed I get an acceptance. I have horses who will be coming with me (that's non-negotiable) but I haven't had my own dog since I lost my last one a couple years back. I don't want to go for another 4 plus years without a dog and my thoughts on the matter have been that getting a puppy (or if it's the right one a grown dog) and establishing a relationship and habits with them before starting in school would be wiser than trying to do so once I've started vet studies. Circumstances haven't worked to get one as of yet and now it's getting a bit squished on the timeframe to fit that plan. Someone recently brought up that perhaps it would make more sense to hold off on getting a canine until I have started school as then I'd know where I was living and other such circumstances to which a dog would be entering. I can see the logic in that but I also still see the value in my original plan to sort everything out with the dog without the in school stressors. I was wondering if anyone with experience one way or another could weigh in on this and offer their advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I've applied to schools for starting Fall 2022 and fingers crossed I get an acceptance. I have horses who will be coming with me (that's non-negotiable) but I haven't had my own dog since I lost my last one a couple years back. I don't want to go for another 4 plus years without a dog and my thoughts on the matter have been that getting a puppy (or if it's the right one a grown dog) and establishing a relationship and habits with them before starting in school would be wiser than trying to do so once I've started vet studies. Circumstances haven't worked to get one as of yet and now it's getting a bit squished on the timeframe to fit that plan. Someone recently brought up that perhaps it would make more sense to hold off on getting a canine until I have started school as then I'd know where I was living and other such circumstances to which a dog would be entering. I can see the logic in that but I also still see the value in my original plan to sort everything out with the dog without the in school stressors. I was wondering if anyone with experience one way or another could weigh in on this and offer their advice.
Hi I have experience in this! I got a golden retriever puppy less than a month after I started my first semester of vet school (I’m about be done with my first semester!) I, too, missed having a dog especially after my golden passed in July 2020. I didn’t plan on getting him right away but I had done my research and found a reputable breeder (more on this later) and had been in contact with her since April of this year. She reached out saying one of her families passed on him and chose to go with a puppy from another litter and he was available. She thought he would be a good fit for me and I made the mistake of asking for pictures of him. And here we are lol

So a few key things to keep in mind
1. if you plan to get a puppy, do you have someone who can let him/her out multiple times per day? I moved in with my boyfriend and he mostly worked from home so he was able to take care of the puppy. Had he not been available, I wouldn’t have done it. Puppies that young need out every 2-3 hours if not more. I should also mention that I don’t have a fenced yard because I’m in a condo. Totally doable to have a dog when you don’t have a yard but keep in mind this might make potty training more difficult. If you do not have someone who can help you get the puppy out, consider getting a puppy sooner than when you start so you can start potty training and by the time you move into your new place, they will be old enough to hold their bladder for several hours. My puppy is almost 5 months and can hold his bladder for about 6 hours or so if we make sure to take him out before we leave.

2. Consider the training that goes into a puppy. I’ve done the majority of his training myself and I’ve done pretty good. However he is lacking sometimes and I Plan to start puppy classes with him in January, though this is later than I had hoped.

3. Consider the cost. Again, my boyfriend and I share the costs of the puppy so that definitely helps. That doesn’t mean he is cheap though. I also benefitted from being able to take him home with me to the clinic I work at back home and got a really good discount on his care.

4. You already said you had horses coming with you. I’m not a horse person but to my understanding horses in vet school are extremely time consuming and expensive. Are you prepared for the cost of horse care on top of dog care? I’m not sure if your family plans to help you with some of these costs. I definitely have classmates whose parents pay for some or all of the cost of upkeeping pets.

5. Idk where you plan on getting a dog from but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do your research. If you plan on getting a puppy from a breeder, make sure you get a puppy from a reputable one. The Facebook group purebred snobs: Match me a breed and Uncensored opinions of breeders: purebred edition are great places to start and really educated me on what it means to breed ethically. This is the route I went and I couldn’t be more grateful for this choice. My pup came from fully health tested parents (OFA, pennhip, BVA, embark, paw print etc) and a reputable breeder. Temperament was a huge factor as I did not want a puppy bouncing all around all the time and I made sure my breeder knew that upfront. Super important is that your breeder picks the puppy FOR you because they can select a puppy that fits your circumstances. I’m so glad I did that because even though he has his zoomie moments, he has a great off switch and is super chill for a puppy. Doesn’t really chew things when he isn’t supposed to, doesn’t get into trouble, and is overall a very temperamentally sound puppy. you 100% want that. Also equally important is health testing. For me while I’m in school, I want a healthy dog that I do not have to worry about high maintenance care or extra medical costs. That’s why I went with an ethical breeder. Some breeders also have adult dogs available whether this is a retiring female, a dog they planned to show or breed and decided not to, etc, this could be a great option for you. Please PM me if you need more info on this.

6. Sorry about the soapbox. I’m really passionate about ethical breeding lol. Anyways, if you plan to adopt, make sure whatever shelter or rescue you get your puppy from is reputable. There are lots of scams and shady rescues out there. If they are charging an adoption fee of more than $500 (and even that’s high IMO) run very far away. Puppy or adult in this scenario doesn’t matter but make sure you get as much history as possible and try not to end up with a medical nightmare.

7. Look into the school you’re attending and see if they raise research dogs. This could be a good avenue to adopt. @Barkley13 probably has better experience than I do. My school (MSU) has beagle and beagle mixes they are doing eye research on and if a puppy doesn’t carry the genetic disease they’re studying, they adopt him/her out. Could be a great option.

8. I have zero regrets getting a dog as he has been wonderful for my mental and emotional health. I also brought my cat with me who I love and adore (in my profile picture) but there’s nothing like a dog greeting you with a wagging tail when you’re home. He also was a good break from getting home from school when I would work on his training for 30 min to an hour. He also was super useful for practicing exams and palpation because he didn’t mind me touching him. My cat certainly did not want me to do that lol

Ultimately it thoroughly depends on you and your situation but I’m here if you have more questions

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1F150B97-E616-4C7F-BBD4-EFB332285718.jpeg

This is my goodest boy, Dipper!

• Love
Personally, I would hold off on any dog until you start school and get an idea of the workload. My friends with horses struggled to ride or even see their horses with any regularity. I had an elderly dog who slept all day and still felt guilty about not getting to spend much time with her. Obviously puppies are another ball game entirely, even once you’re past the initial struggles like housebreaking. Consider not only the time in school, but also time you’ll need to have to study and time you may want to spend doing extracurricular.

Obviously tons of vet students have pets of every sort :shrug: If you’re in a position to wait, I absolutely would.

Reactions: 8 users
Paging @Aprilthearab for horse riding/owning tips as a veterinary student.

I think Alissa did an AMAZING job explaining everything you should consider before getting a puppy. One thing to consider is potentially getting a cat if you really want companionship but cannot commit the time it takes to have a puppy. I have 2 cats currently, and one of them I got in September as an orphan kitten from my veterinary school. I love my cats because I get plenty of companionship with them but I don’t have to worry about letting them outside all of the time. Plus, they are much more content with being left alone for 8+ hours a day than a dog would be. I absolutely love dogs, but my personal lifestyle just wouldn’t work for a puppy or dog, since I spend so much time at the school studying in addition to our 8-5 class schedule. I still play with my cats and have time to be a good cat mom, but they are definitely more low-maintenance compared to a puppy. If you are 100000% committed to getting a dog and only a dog, that’s totally fine. I just wanted to suggest an alternative that might work better for the schedule of a veterinary student.

Reactions: 2 users
I’d like to add another option. Back to the whole research dogs thing. My school has a club where students can sign up and play with the research dogs so they get socialization and enrichment. I don’t think every school has this but worth looking into. Also I’m sure there will be shelters local to you that takes volunteers who want to hang out with dogs. That way you can get your doggy fix in without the commitment. And this way you can get to know the dogs should you choose to adopt. Finally, befriend classmates with dogs and play with their dogs. None of my friends that I’ve made had dogs and this was one of the reasons I got a dog lol

Reactions: 3 users
Obviously tons of vet students have pets of every sort :shrug: If you’re in a position to wait, I absolutely would.
One of my classmates owns a Tegu :heckyeah: I have yet to meet him but I’d like to!!!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Paging @Aprilthearab for horse riding/owning tips as a veterinary student.
Yes hello I'm a vet student with two gerbils, a hamster, a ball python, a kitten, two fish tanks, and a horse

I know you didn't particularly ask about bringing your horses, but I think it's easier to start with that. Horses are manageable in vet school, and so are dogs. Together, though, it would be a lot - at least, it would be a lot to commit to before knowing what your situation is going to be. There are a lot of variables that go into that, too. You mention multiple horses - how many are you bringing with you? How often are you planning on riding? Are they going to be at a full care facility? I have my horse at a full care facility (though I've recently started doing morning weekend chores for reduced board) and it's the key to my sanity. I usually go out to ride at least three or four times a week, but if exams are hitting me hard or some other priority has come up, it's not a big deal to let her have the week off and I can focus on what I need. What matters most is that you are financially capable of caring for them, so keep that in mind if you need to take out extra loans, and 100% start researching the barns in the area now to reserve spots and figure out how much you'll be paying each month.

I actually see dogs, especially puppies, as more of a responsibility than a boarded horse. Chances are, unless you can find a rental place with a fenced yard, long walks will be the main source of exercise for a young puppy or young adult dog. Every morning, every night, and likely on your lunch break too, regardless of what's going on in your life and regardless of how stressed you are, it's still your responsibility to feed, water, and exercise. Again, more variables - are you moving with an SO who can share the responsibility? Will you find a roommate to share the responsibility? Will your roommate have any pets that may or may not be compatible with a dog? Would it be better to find a roommate that already has a dog so you can enjoy the company without the full responsibility? Are you planning on a big breed or small breed, and have you thought about how that might impact your ability to rent and cost of rent?

Like I said, horses are manageable and dogs are manageable, but I don't think I'd have the time or the energy to ride my horse then come home to a young bouncy dog that needs to be walked while also stressing about exams. I have a friend who occasionally rides my mare for me and she dreads going home and walking her shepherd puppy in the dark and freezing cold after a session of riding my psycho arab in the freezing cold. Maybe you're different and you can handle that! But you probably want to find your school/life balance with your horses before you add a dog into the equation.

And then, of course, remember that you won't actually know what vet school is like until you get there. Chances are your studying habits are going to be flipped on their heads and you'll have to press through bad grades and a lot of tears before you figure out what works to just get mediocre grades. I graduated high school with 40 college credits' worth of AP courses and a 4.0 GPA and then got my BS in Biology in 3 years taking 19 credits each semester and graduated with a 3.85 GPA, and right now in vet school, the only good thing I can say about my grades is that I'm passing. Looking back, it feels like high school and undergrad were just one happy dream where my classes taught themselves and studying was a made up word.

There will be so many new people to meet and so many exciting clubs to join. If given the choice, it's probably best to leave those options open rather than be tied to your apartment, at least for the first semester.

My recommendation would be to sort out your rent, roommate, riding schedule, school/life balance, study habits (they will change!), social life, and extracurriculars before you add a dog to your family. Depending on the variables, you might find that you're overwhelmed as is, or that you're better situated than you thought you'd be, or that your roommate already has a dog to fill your snuggle void with, or that one of your horses will go lame and you'll be glad you didn't spend your money on a puppy, or that this one club does really exciting trips on weekends once a month and you need the free time to tag along. Who knows what will happen! I think you'd be best waiting until you start school, and then if you feel like dog ownership fits your lifestyle, I'd be in no place to stop you ;)

I do agree with most of what has been said, but I’m going to add another opinion...puppies are always going to be hard work and there is no perfect time to get one. I do think that it’s probably ideal to wait until your life is a little more settled and not get a puppy day 1 of vet school, but I don’t really think it’s that bad to get one early in the summer before you start (or even better a summer during school like between first and second year. If you were to get one in May or whatever it would be 4-5 months old by the time classes start, and by then hopefully you’ve gotten a good start on house training, obedience training, etc. Yes, puppies take a lot of time and you’re going to have to go home at lunch to let them out and spend time you could be studying to train and care for the puppy (especially if you don’t have a roommate or significant other or whoever to help you), but I will argue that it can be easier to fit that stuff in as a student than a full fledged vet sometimes. At least you do usually get a guaranteed lunch as a student and sometimes you’re out of school early. Maybe you have to study at home to be able to play with puppy intermittently or miss out on events because of your dog and horse responsibilities but I was home more hours as a student than I have been in the last six years. As an intern or resident my hours were way worse and I wasn’t able to go home. As a full fledged vet, the place I work doesn’t allow personal pets in the building so when I did get a puppy, even at 9 weeks he had to stay home crated all day with a quick trip out at lunch since I was single with no kids in a city I didn’t know anyone. We managed. It’s always hard to raise a puppy. I think this is like any question people ask about making time for stuff in school (will I have time for my significant other, will I have time to exercise, etc.)…it’s doable if you make it your priority. I guess my recommendation would be to plan to get one summer between first and second year where you’ve established your vet school habits but still have the summer to establish life with a puppy, but I don’t think it’s any uniformly bad idea to get one before school.

You can also consider fostering while you are in vet school - you get some companionship, a dog gets a better deal than being in a shelter, and you don't have to pay for vet care, bills, etc

Even if you don't have a ton of time, a home is a better environment than a shelter for a dog while it waits for adoption

Reactions: 4 users
I can't speak to having a horse, but I can speak to being a first-year student with a high energy dog.

He has been with me for most of the first semester so far; and having him around has been wonderful in helping me remain a whole person - remembering that at the end of the day I'm more than just a student, but have someone relying on me for care. That said, he went home to my parents for finals month because I knew I couldn't handle his needs (he's a husky, so lots of energy) during this nightmare of a month lol though many of my classmates do just fine with their pups. So having a support system is key, whether that's a reliable daycare, family, friends etc. I recognize I am very lucky and am grateful for all the people in my life that love Mowgli as much as I do. I do already have some 10 hr days at school just due to the nature of living 40 minutes away -- something I'm going to change next year -- so I've needed extra help to make sure he gets the care he needs, from neighbors or family coming up to visit. And just sort of plan to adapt as necessary to meet his needs.

I personally think it would be harder to add a dog to my life while in vet school because of the limited time to bond etc. but so much of this is subjective and personal. I think it's just going to come down to sort of envisioning what you want your life to look like. I don't think I missed any opportunities really for having my pup with me, but I also am not really a person that likes to stay out late etc and I decided not to work first semester. So it just depends.

For the reasons you are concerned I chose to get a cat just before starting vet school. She has been the perfect pet for me. We were virtual a lot of that first year so I did get to be home with her. Now I find I'm not guilty if I'm gone for long hours some days. Then ... my gf got a puppy late in the summer. Summer is a very high energy pup. My gf's work didn't let her come home frequently to let the pup out so the first couple months of second year she was at my place during the day so I could run home on my breaks and walk her. I have to admit this was a bit of a pain. She did chew some things too. Now she is 6 months old and a little calmer. She stays at gf's apartment during the day now so my cat has some peace. I know she is worried about taking her in the fall to PA school just because of the time that Summer needs to be played with and walked. It is doable but does add a little extra stress. Just be very intentional about what you do and what type of puppy you get. Summer is a little more high energy than would be ideal but petting her is a nice stress relief.

Reactions: 1 user
Whether you get a dog before or after starting school, be mindful of how much your roommates, if any, will affect the experience. Supportive roommates, like others have said, will make everything many times more feasible. But unsupportive roommates or roommates with pets who seriously don’t get along with your dog can make your life a nightmare. I know someone whose roommates would ignore her puppy and leave him crated the whole time she was away and lash out at her because he was barking (he was used to “people home = time out of crate”), and whose next roommate had a GSD who hated him. It was a bad time for everyone. All were vet students.

Another, more wild story… one roommate hated that another roommate didn’t clean the litter box as often as the roommate wanted and let her cat jump on the counters… roommate bought lilies and left them on the counter “joking” that hopefully the cat would eat them and other roommate would learn a lesson. The cat did, and died. Again, both were vet students.

TLDR; make sure to be clear about expectations of what your pet and your roommates’ pets will be allowed to do and how they will be cleaned up after and cared for, etc. Try to let pets meet before committing to moving in together or adopting the pet. Don’t assume roommates’ expectations of what “having a dog” entails will be the same as yours or even be reasonable, even if they are vet students.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Another, more wild story… one roommate hated that another roommate didn’t clean the litter box as often as the roommate wanted and let her cat jump on the counters… roommate bought lilies and left them on the counter “joking” that hopefully the cat would eat them and other roommate would learn a lesson. The cat did, and died. Again, both were vet students.

I feel like this could be a criminal case of animal abuse...? the vet school should have been notified, at the very least......

Reactions: 10 users
I feel like this could be a criminal case of animal abuse...? the vet school should have been notified, at the very least......
holy ****. that's psychotic behavior

"lemme just kill someone's animal as a joke teehee y aren't u laffin'"

I feel like it should have been reported to the school and resulted in disciplinary action for poor judgement, but I guess the person who knew her didn’t think so or didn’t want to get involved and she’s graduated now. I don’t think it could have been a criminal case because from what I heard, the roommate said it in a way that didn’t make it seem like that was her intent or what she expected would happen. But even if she really didn’t think it would happen, the fact that she recognized it as a possibility and still did it is obviously very seriously concerning.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like it should have been reported to the school and resulted in disciplinary action for poor judgement, but I guess the person who knew her didn’t think so or didn’t want to get involved and she’s graduated now. I don’t think it could have been a criminal case because from what I heard, the roommate said it in a way that didn’t make it seem like that was her intent or what she expected would happen. But even if she really didn’t think it would happen, the fact that she recognized it as a possibility and still did it is obviously very seriously concerning.

What pray tell did she think would happen? I don't believe for 2 seconds she didn't expect that to happen. She purchased them with that intent. I'd say I'm disappointed she graduated but honestly there's a lot of really shady vets out there so I'm not surprised. Just wish I knew who so I could avoid her at all costs.

Reactions: 2 users
What pray tell did she think would happen? I don't believe for 2 seconds she didn't expect that to happen. She purchased them with that intent. I'd say I'm disappointed she graduated but honestly there's a lot of really shady vets out there so I'm not surprised. Just wish I knew who so I could avoid her at all costs.
It might just be me being overly optimistic (I err on the side of giving the benefit of doubt, and I’m sure sometimes it is indeed an error), but it seems most plausible to me that she got the lilies (I think they were a gift, actually?) and kept them because she liked them, had a passing thought of “oh the cat could theoretically eat them if they’re on the counter and the cat jumps up” but assumed “oh that will never happen” (optimism bias can be wild if left unchecked) and thought it would give the roommate a scare to see them on the counter. It seems most likely to me that it was serious negligence and lack of any judgement rather than outright psychotic cat murder. Awful in any case and 100% shouldn’t have gone unpunished.