Starting Over

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SocMajor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be finishing my BA in Criminal Justice at Iowa State University this spring. Long story short, I took this major because it seemed interesting at the time, and 4 years ago I didn’t know what I wanted to be when I grew up. I will graduate with a GPA right around 3.1.
I am planning to take the RN-BSN program at Mercy College of Health Sciences in Des Moines IA. I will also take the needed science courses to apply to the PA-C program at Des Moines University. I have already taken all of the general classes so it will only take me six semesters; just over two full years including taking summers.
I feel the strongest thing holding me back is my past GPA. How much will that factor in? There isn’t a whole lot of effort that went in to attaining that GPA. I rarely studied for my classes at Iowa State. I feel if I am actually putting effort into the classes at Mercy I should be able to obtain a GPA of at least a 3.5-3.7.
Is it possible for me to get into this program? Or has my poor academic history scarred me for life?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can show an upward trend with your grades, you might be fine. Some schools only look at the last 60ish hours or so.

However, I suggest that in order to really make you competitive with a below-average year, you get lots of health care experience (very minimum 2000, you'd be better off with more). PA schools are extremely competitive and you will be competing against students with >3.7s. However, many of these students are lacking in health care experience, which is weighed more heavily by lots of schools. That might mean working for a year or two after you get your BSN, but it would be definitely worth it.

Good luck!

I'm contemplating applying to both because I don't care to move all over the country in pursuit of academics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools are willing to overlook low GPA with massive amounts of HCE (direct patient care emphasis), and some schools are willing to over look low hours of HCE with a stellar GPA. So you have to get one or the other to be really competitive. Most people have both. I had a 3.8 GPA and over 14,000 hours of direct patient care HCE. Most schools have about 800-1000 applications for just 20 to 30 seats. GPA is alright... I would go for the HCE. Also the fact that you have your degree, your undergrad GPA is not realy going to budge after 130-140 some odd credits. Just ace the pre-reqs (Anatomy, Micro, Chem, O-Chem etc.) and get lots of HCE :thumbup:

I agree with gaining healthcare experience. I applied to PA school with roughly a 3.2ish gpa, but had close to 12,000 hours of experience and did not have a problem getting interviews. So, I would highly recommend getting some health care experience soon.

12,000 hours of HCE is the equivalent of 6 years of full-time work

How can someone even remotely consider working for that many years just to apply to PA school if the person is coming straight from college?

12,000 hours of HCE is the equivalent of 6 years of full-time work

How can someone even remotely consider working for that many years just to apply to PA school if the person is coming straight from college?

many folks work during college. I worked 20-30 hrs/week as an er tech while taking a full credit load and 60 hrs/week during the summers. by the time I graduated with my bs I had several thousand hrs of hce(probably around 6000). I then went straight into paramedic school and was a medic for 5 years before becoming a pa.
remember traditionally pa is a second medical career and not designed for folks coming straight out of undergrad........

Nowhere did I say you NEED to have 12,000 hours of experience to get in. My personal example was just to show that healthcare experience can outweigh a poorer GPA. So, since the OP had a relatively low GPA, I think it would be advisable to get some experience.

Nowhere did I say you NEED to have 12,000 hours of experience to get in. My personal example was just to show that healthcare experience can outweigh a poorer GPA. So, since the OP had a relatively low GPA, I think it would be advisable to get some experience.

I didn't say that you said that either. :)

I'm only trying to point out that for the career changer, particularly for those that would have to undertake few prereqs, it would be difficult to to amass anything comparable to that amount of hours.

many folks work during college. I worked 20-30 hrs/week as an er tech while taking a full credit load and 60 hrs/week during the summers. by the time I graduated with my bs I had several thousand hrs of hce(probably around 6000). I then went straight into paramedic school and was a medic for 5 years before becoming a pa.
remember traditionally pa is a second medical career and not designed for folks coming straight out of undergrad........

I did 4 years active duty as a Combat Medic. While taking some classes through the Army. Then I got out and have been working critical care and going to school full time for 3 years now (That puts me at 13,000 hrs) I have a 3.8 GPA... I did not get into school last year. So... it just goes to show you that even with outstanding LOR's and background and grades... you are not guranteed anything. "Shoe in" .... does not exist in competitive fields such as PA! You will want to have the high numbers of HCE and GPA ... but just remember that is not the only thing they look at.;)

I'm assuming you already have your ADN and are a licensed RN since you are looking to do a RN-BSN program? Why bother with the BSN if you are a nurse and already have your bachelors degree? Just work as a nurse, finish up your prerequisites, and apply to PA school.

I didn't say that you said that either. :)

I'm only trying to point out that for the career changer, particularly for those that would have to undertake few prereqs, it would be difficult to to amass anything comparable to that amount of hours.

PA is not intended for people who are changing from a non-medical career to a medical career.

PA is not intended for people who are changing from a non-medical career to a medical career.

I understand that, but just today I even found a combined BS/MS program intended for recent high school graduates. There's a good chance those students have had a medical career.