This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuttend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having worked a year I realized that my ambitions really lie towards pursing a healthcare career. But the thing that's really holding me back right now are my grades. I finished my undergrad a year ago with a (terrible) cumulative GPA of 2.6 and an even lower science GPA. There were some things that happened throughout my undergrad life that affected me for a while but I will admit that some of it had to do with the fact that I was not studying correctly. I did however pick myself up towards my last two quarters in school but that didn't help much with the damage from throughout the years.
Anyhow, I'm really looking to become an MD or DO... I know it entails years of re-mediating my grades to even be considered, that my chances are slim to nothing, and that I might not even get in. But I still want to give it a try. Considering my grades, I'm wondering at this point would it be better for me to:
1) still go for a post-bacc (it would be AET, my degree was B.S.)
2) start a 2nd bachelor's degree
3) retake classes on my own at a 4 yr university

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Anyhow, I'm really looking to become an MD or DO...

Any advice would be very much appreciated
My first piece of advice would be to post this in the pre-med section instead of RN/NP/PA section.

Then, I don't know. But I know this type of thread has come up there many times before so they can be helpful.

I've heard that if you pursue being a DO, you will have some measure of grade forgiveness, in that they will focus on calculating your gpa with the most recent grade you received, and discarding the former grade. I don't know if this is still the case. That's your best bet.