This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MommasDoctor95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my pre-med in 3 days (WHOOP WHOOOP). I'm really excited and antsy about it. I live in Indiana with my husband and his two kids and am really trying to stay in state. I am starting my pre-med classes in CC to get my gen eds done ( calc, english, foreign language). I'm 21 now, I finished my associates at a technical school for IT but as good as I am at computers, I need to be able to talk to people and help people. Hence switching careers.

My questions are:
Who else is starting pre-med this year!?
Has anyone else gotten in IU recently that wouldn't be opposed to sharing your GPA and MCAT scores? I do know what they consider competitive, but it's be nice to talk to someone who has gone through it personally and recently.
Any advice on getting my gen-eds done in CC and if it will hurt my application to IU? I have a full time job and want to hold out as long as I can before switching to Uni. I have bills to pay and no one to help besides m husband. Until we pay our bills down, he can't do it alone.
Where did people shadow and/or volunteer? How early did you start?
What defines a non-traditional student? Does that look better than being traditional?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I never went to a CC. Take your intro level courses at the CC, and save the upper-level science courses when you enter university. I volunteered at my hospital the summer I graduated high school, and have continued it for the past 2 years.

I never went to a CC. Take your intro level courses at the CC, and save the upper-level science courses when you enter university. I volunteered at my hospital the summer I graduated high school, and have continued it for the past 2 years.
I plan on only taking my gen eds and switching into a Uni for my sciences.
Also, there is a pre-med student shadowing program here in Indana, so I'm trying to get in there. I also plan on volunteering at an animal shelter as well as my normal rides-for-charity.

Members don't see this ad :)
IN is among the better states to be a pre-med. 33% of IS applicants matriculate into the state school.
442/728 IS applicants were interviewed of whom, 262 matriculated (99 went OOS). Their early decision program accounted for 55 of the IS matriculants.
The median gpa for successful matriculants was 3.8. The median MCAT was 30 (about the 80th percentile).

Being a non-trad looks neither better nor worse.

Reactions: 2 users
I could be wrong but I think ideally you would do calc at the university, since it's part of BCPM.

Reactions: 1 users
IN is among the better states to be a pre-med. 33% of IS applicants matriculate into the state school.
442/728 IS applicants were interviewed of whom, 262 matriculated (99 went OOS). Their early decision program accounted for 55 of the IS matriculants.
The median gpa for successful matriculants was 3.8. The median MCAT was 30 (about the 80th percentile).

Being a non-trad looks neither better nor worse.
Makes me feel really good knowing so many IS students went there. From what I heard Iowa gets preference.

I could be wrong but I think ideally you would do calc at the university since it's part of BCPM.
If it was possible, I would. Calc is a requirement to get accepted into the biology program. I definitely want the best light to be shined one me as far as academics. I appreciate your insight, though.